Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

I think we should cut our losses in January and try to shift him on whilst he's still got a reputation. Maybe Borough or Sunderland will be desperate and make a bid. 

It's just not working for whatever reason, we need something different. 

He needs a player like Davis next to him up top to bring him into the game, the way we play its useless leaving him up on his own.

Unfortunately for him Bruce is now just using him as legs to chase down in the last 15 minutes.

Started to come into the game a bit at the end, his touches improved slightly, but overall not enough time to establish himself.

Only way he has any chance of getting any form is a run of games. But he's not good enough to get a run of games.

I think he's finished here.

He can work in a certain set up, but that set up isn't us. He's not good enough to adapt, and he certainly isn't good enough for us to build a team around him.

Cut our losses in Jan.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

His head looks gone

100%

He's struggling to control the ball. He's having to work so hard on just completing the basics, he's half a yard off the pace of the game. 

He's got the footballing yips. 

37 minutes ago, lexicon said:

If we get rid in January, we'd be lucky to get half of what we paid for him. Not so sure that's a good idea. 

Much as I have slated him - we would would be daft to get rid in jan. He is an experienced pro and we look to be there or thereabouts for promotion/play offs.

I think Back to David Geddes in 1980/81 season - Shaw and Withe were first choice strikers  and scoring goals for fun. With had a couple of suspensions and everyone feared for us without him. Geddes had struggled the previous season. But whenever he was called upon he didn't do to badly - scored two against the noses IIRC.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villarocker said:

This guy needs to play week in week out to be any good. It doesn't appear like he's going to get that with Kodjia and Davis ahead of him. Wouldn't surprise me if we sold him if a good enough bid comes in for him.

I think an acceptable bid coming in is unlikely. He will be around a while yet.

He's definitely a player that would benefit from working with a target man. However, that said if you are the only striker on the pitch you need to be alert and provide options when we are not in possession of the ball. Last night when we were defending he was away with the fairies and not providing any option for an out ball which resulted in a period of pressure that we had to defend against. He needs to up his game and can’t just wait for things to happen around him.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Much as I have slated him - we would would be daft to get rid in jan. He is an experienced pro and we look to be there or thereabouts for promotion/play offs.

I think Back to David Geddes in 1980/81 season - Shaw and Withe were first choice strikers  and scoring goals for fun. With had a couple of suspensions and everyone feared for us without him. Geddes had struggled the previous season. But whenever he was called upon he didn't do to badly - scored two against the noses IIRC.

Certainly it would be wrong to offload him without bringing in an acceptable 3rd choice striker to replace him.

Hope you’re right about the Geddis comparison.

31 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I felt for him last night to be honest.

He came on when we were seeing the game out.  We weren't actively playing high up the pitch (which is good!), so that restricted any attacking situations to being counters.  

I recall one moment when we were countering, we go within their final 3rd, Hourihane had the ball, Scott made a decent run, which would have required a pretty pin point pass through their full back and center back, so Hourihane (quite rightly) decided against it, chose to retain possession and passed sideways once Hutton caught up.  

Now, Hourihane did the right thing for the team there, but for Scott, who is obviously desperate for a goal, he looks absolutely dejected.  He skipped and didn't throw his hands in the air, he just tilted his head away and walked back.  

He did the right thing, he made the right run, but Hourihane was never going to risk that pass at 2-0 up with 15 mins to play - he would have been wrong to do so. 

I'd keep him.  I wouldn't sell him, he's only just got here and I think too many people are willing to throw players on the scrap heap if things don't go right straight away.

I think at home against a lesser team, you'll see Bruce give him a go in a 4-4-2 with Davis, and I think he'll do ok.  He just needs that break.  That ball to drop nice for him and I think we'll see a different player.

Not all players hit the ground running, I think we need to give them a chance and have him around to be there for when we need him. 

At point he controlled the ball, nodded it past the defender and laid it off to Hourihane for the counter. I thought here we go, we might see a proper Scott Hogan here but unfortunately it didn't happen. He made some good runs and as you said players decided against crossing it. I think Snodgrass was in the same situation.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I felt for him last night to be honest.

He came on when we were seeing the game out.  We weren't actively playing high up the pitch (which is good!), so that restricted any attacking situations to being counters.  

I recall one moment when we were countering, we go within their final 3rd, Hourihane had the ball, Scott made a decent run, which would have required a pretty pin point pass through their full back and center back, so Hourihane (quite rightly) decided against it, chose to retain possession and passed sideways once Hutton caught up.  

Now, Hourihane did the right thing for the team there, but for Scott, who is obviously desperate for a goal, he looks absolutely dejected.  He skipped and didn't throw his hands in the air, he just tilted his head away and walked back.  

He did the right thing, he made the right run, but Hourihane was never going to risk that pass at 2-0 up with 15 mins to play - he would have been wrong to do so. 

I'd keep him.  I wouldn't sell him, he's only just got here and I think too many people are willing to throw players on the scrap heap if things don't go right straight away.

I think at home against a lesser team, you'll see Bruce give him a go in a 4-4-2 with Davis, and I think he'll do ok.  He just needs that break.  That ball to drop nice for him and I think we'll see a different player.

Not all players hit the ground running, I think we need to give them a chance and have him around to be there for when we need him. 

This is how I see it. He cant play as a lone striker he needs a striker next to him. Its just a all round baffling signing as his style does not match bruces tactics. 

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Cut our losses in Jan.

Why not cut or losses with the manager instead, who hasn't got a clue how to use Hogan?

I look at the player he was, and still think this is what we needed (and wanted), a prolific poacher if you will, and I'm sure he'd score 20+ goals a season if used correctly. 

With the way we play though, one can hardly expect anything off him.

Just now, vreitti said:

Why not cut or losses with the manager instead, who hasn't got a clue how to use Hogan?

I look at the player he was, and still think this is what we needed (and wanted), a prolific poacher if you will, and I'm sure he'd score 20+ goals a season if used correctly. 

Because the manager has us in the playoff places and in a superb run of form. Why the **** would we sack him just because he's failing to use one player correctly?

You're suggesting revamping the entire way we play on the off chance it'll suit Hogan.

He's crap. I agree he COULD work in the right set up and formation, but that isn't Aston Villa right now. And right now Aston Villa is doing pretty well.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Sacking a manager who has got the team in an acceptable position and in a very good run of form, to fit in a player who, even if we were to build the entire team around him may not succeed? 

Agenda.

I want Hogan to do well, but why change a (currently) winning formula for one player? 

Â