Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

30 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

No it isn't. He is a proven goalscorer, and he will prove that again if we get a proper manager.

He's not proven at this level at all. It's a very small portion of a professional in his mid 20's

42 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

If Bruce is staying we may as well try and sell him in January because he isn’t going to work out playing for him.

Sadly, I agree. He was a wrong purchase for this manager.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not once has he ever had a plan for him and he has absolutely no appreciate for his strengths and weakness. This has been an absolute calamity. 

I agree but if this is a calamity what do you call the Mccormack situation. Its at least 3 rungs higher on the farce ladder.

39 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I agree but if this is a calamity what do you call the Mccormack situation. Its at least 3 rungs higher on the farce ladder.

At this stage its obvious the calamity is the manager 

• Like 4

So where does Hogan go from here? I think many felt the game was screaming out for him yesterday, he'd have provided an outlet and taken the attentions of their centre backs who were having a really poor game. Bruce just doesn't seem to want to play him in a team which will make use of his strengths. It still blows my mind he hasn't had a run with Davis, who I think is tailor made for Hogans game. It will be a real shame, but I think he'll try to engineer a move away in January and will go on to be great for another team with us making a big loss on him. 

12 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

So where does Hogan go from here? I think many felt the game was screaming out for him yesterday, he'd have provided an outlet and taken the attentions of their centre backs who were having a really poor game. Bruce just doesn't seem to want to play him in a team which will make use of his strengths. It still blows my mind he hasn't had a run with Davis, who I think is tailor made for Hogans game. It will be a real shame, but I think he'll try to engineer a move away in January and will go on to be great for another team with us making a big loss on him. 

The game wasn't crying for him at all. With him on, the ball would've come back quicker. Davis came on and held the ball up, which Hogan wouldn't have done.

• Like 1

Yeah, he'd have been the worst possible substitution yesterday, he can't play with his back to goal or hold the ball for even a second - he's just a poacher and nothing else. 

The problem is it's hard to think of a time when he would be a good substitution - maybe if we're winning by three clear goals or something. I think he's done here to be honest. 

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

The game wasn't crying for him at all. With him on, the ball would've come back quicker. Davis came on and held the ball up, which Hogan wouldn't have done.

Tbf Davis had very little impact and didn’t really hold it up well yesterday

Hogan would probably have closed the defenders down much quicker as they played it about at the back ,than Davis

But Bruce chose Davis over Hogan so I think that is telling in regards Hogans long term future 

• Like 2

I think Hogan is a good player when played to his strengths, but my heart always sinks when he comes on for us because I know we are just going to lump long balls for him to get nowhere near, it just feels like waving the white flag. I don't think Bruce has ever tried to use him constructively, when he comes off the bench it is a sign of desperation.

The problem is not that, when he comes on, we won't change the entire team's preferred style of play to account for Hogan's preferences/limitations (delete as preferred). I don't see how that would be either desirable or practical. The issue is that we spent a king's ransom on a player who doesn't fit the team's preferred style of play in the first place. If we can sell him for any sort of money and replace him with a striker who would fit a pacy, counter-attacking team who need their striker to play with their back to goal, then we should do so at the first opportunity. 

• Like 1

Think it's probably an idea to see if palace want to do some swappsy of benteke for Hogan and jed.

Makes me chuckle though at people saying he is shit at holding the ball up so is useless. Just like Owen lineker rush Aldridge bent Kevin Phillips  and other poachers.. ..hardley back to goal forwards holding off big centre halves but they managed to be legends at various clubs. 

Most had a foil to work off and again most of those players played at a decent standard.

Moaning for the sake of it or to moan about the manager.

He's not played in a 4 4 2 with a hold up striker since he's been here so it's hardly s surprise he's not looked the player he should be.

5 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Think it's probably an idea to see if palace want to do some swappsy of benteke for Hogan and jed.

Makes me chuckle though at people saying he is shit at holding the ball up so is useless. Just like Owen lineker rush Aldridge bent Kevin Phillips  and other poachers.. ..hardley back to goal forwards holding off big centre halves but they managed to be legends at various clubs. 

Most had a foil to work off and again most of those players played at a decent standard.

Moaning for the sake of it or to moan about the manager.

He's not played in a 4 4 2 with a hold up striker since he's been here so it's hardly s surprise he's not looked the player he should be.

Its a long ole' season....He will be used.

our squad size/quality...could be the very thing that see's us over the line.....through those dark wintery months

Edited by TRO

On 10/22/2017 at 11:47, tonyh29 said:

Tbf Davis had very little impact and didn’t really hold it up well yesterday

Hogan would probably have closed the defenders down much quicker as they played it about at the back ,than Davis

But Bruce chose Davis over Hogan so I think that is telling in regards Hogans long term future 

Pretty much what I was going to say. Thought Davis looked very lethargic. 

Â