Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

11 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Not really a place for him to learn is it, bearing in mind that if we don't get promoted this season were screwed.

We will.

there is learning and learning.....He has hardly got L plates on but there are aspects of his game he needs to work on.

He may not get to touch the ball with John Terry there.......ok,ok,o,ok,ok,ok.....just kidding:huh:

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Not knocking anyone, but it's brilliant irony that other threads are arguing about us bringing in a lot of older players when we should be buying young players to grow with the club. But then we sign a young keeper, the arguement is we should have signed an older, experienced keeper. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

Have we fallen that far that we judge our keepers on fewer mistakes rather than good saves?

Bosnich would make more good saves in one match than Johnstone does in 6 months.

Probably because Bosnich was having to deal with far more shots. Shit comparison.

Also maybe half decent initial positioning by Johnstone means he doesn't have to pull of constant worldies. Being in the right place initially doesn't look half as decent as flying through the air though... 

Welcome back Sam! You had other possible choices but chose us. You know what to expect at Villa Park but still want another season with us. Play your part in getting us up and then stick around. Who is Joe Hart in any case?;)  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Probably because Bosnich was having to deal with far more shots. Shit comparison.

Also maybe half decent initial positioning by Johnstone means he doesn't have to pull of constant worldies. Being in the right place initially doesn't look half as decent as flying through the air though... 

Are you suggesting SJ has better positioning than Mark Bosnich did? what a load of nonsense!

Positioning is important, yes. But unless you are the size of a whale you will still need to dive to make saves, in 6 months I did not see a single shot Johnstone saved that wasnt more than a metre either side of him. 

SJ seems OK on crosses and his kicking is acceptable, but I have no faith whatsoever in his shot stopping skills. He's here now so I wont keep moaning about him and try to stay out of this thread now. Just hope he doesnt cost us too many points over the season - I'm not talking about mistakes, as all keepers make a mistake or 2 over the season, just in general lack of shot stopping ability.

8 hours ago, Wezbid said:

You honestly think Bosnich faced more shots in the teams he played in compared to Johnstone last season? I doubt that somehow, yet you state it like it's a fact.

As for Bozzie's positioning there was nothing wrong with it but then reading this post I get the impression you perhaps didn't see him play.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

You honestly think Bosnich faced more shots in the teams he played in compared to Johnstone last season? I doubt that somehow, yet you state it like it's a fact.

As for Bozzie's positioning there was nothing wrong with it but then reading this post I get the impression you perhaps didn't see him play.

I went to a game at Roker Park in the league cup where Bozzie faced more shots, and saved them, than Sam faced in a whole season*. Quite remarkable, it was. I think we won 3-1. Bozzie was a brilliant 'keeper for us and Sam will do well to be anything like as good.

*probably not true, it just seemed that way.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

I went to a game at Roker Park in the league cup where Bozzie faced more shots, and saved them, than Sam faced in a whole season*. Quite remarkable, it was. I think we won 3-1. Bozzie was a brilliant 'keeper for us and Sam will do well to be anything like as good.

*probably not true, it just seemed that way.

I remember that one, he was a remarkable keeper for us. Johnstone isn't remotely close to his level.

• Like 1

Totally agree; Bozzie was a special 'keeper, and was huge for us. I'd say since then the best of the rest was probably Freidel... he wasn't perfect but at least my heart wasn't in my mouth every time someone shot. 

Johnstone couldn't hold a candle to Bosnich in his prime. Hopefully he's just good enough for us to get out of this league though, that's all we need him to do.

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I remember that one, he was a remarkable keeper for us. Johnstone isn't remotely close to his level.

Agreed. There's a reason one keeper went from Villa to Utd and the other is going the other way. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Junxs said:

Have we fallen that far that we judge our keepers on fewer mistakes rather than good saves?

Bosnich would make more good saves in one match than Johnstone does in 6 months.

But are we also going to totally ignore the number of clean sheets Johnstone kept for a team in flux?

• Like 1

Â