Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

But are we also going to totally ignore the number of clean sheets Johnstone kept for a team in flux?

6 or 7 in a row was remarkable. Long may that solidity continue. Starting the season with a settled back line will do us wonders, and hopefully that resilience will continue. 

Credit where credit is due, he had an influence in the upturn in our defensive capability. 

16 minutes ago, Spoony said:

But are we also going to totally ignore the number of clean sheets Johnstone kept for a team in flux?

People tend to ignore that we had the most defensive set up of all time, made the Euro winning Greece team look like an attacking unit in comparison.

Stick every man bar Kodjia in or around your own penalty area and of course your keeper will keep a clean sheet. How many diving saves did he make in all those clean sheets?

I'd love to see a shots per save ratio of all the championship keepers last year but just cant find it on the net, believe me I've tried.. I wouldn't be surprised if Johnstone was in the bottom few. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

He'll give Grealish and Gardner a run for their money being the dimmest squad member. 

Wow, have you seriously put forward 3 names there as the potentially dimmest squad member and not mentioned Gabby? 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

People tend to ignore that we had the most defensive set up of all time, made the Euro winning Greece team look like an attacking unit in comparison.

Stick every man bar Kodjia in or around your own penalty area and of course your keeper will keep a clean sheet. How many diving saves did he make in all those clean sheets?

I'd love to see a shots per save ratio of all the championship keepers last year but just cant find it on the net, believe me I've tried.. I wouldn't be surprised if Johnstone was in the bottom few. 

I get that but it is a credit to our defence, which he is a part of. When you compare him to Golini and Guzan who just can't control their area I'd say he's a step up and I do think he's decent.

However, he's very young and far from the finished article so it does annoy me that this is a loan. I would hope we would go permanent or if that's not an option look elsewhere. Ruddy would have been spot on for me if that were a possibility. 

3 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I get that but it is a credit to our defence, which he is a part of. When you compare him to Golini and Guzan who just can't control their area I'd say he's a step up and I do think he's decent.

However, he's very young and far from the finished article so it does annoy me that this is a loan. I would hope we would go permanent or if that's not an option look elsewhere. Ruddy would have been spot on for me if that were a possibility. 

I think this comparison is very unfair to Golini. Very difficult to control a defence when you dont speak the language.

I'd put money on Golini getting more international caps than johnson in his career. I believe Golini is the better keeper.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

I think this comparison is very unfair to Golini. Very difficult to control a defence when you dont speak the language.

I'd put money on Golini getting more international caps than johnson in his career. I believe Golini is the better keeper.

Gollini speaks very good English. 

Edited by Barney_avfc
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

I don't think either will play at international level .

7 hours ago, Spoony said:

I don't really get the loan move since as far as I know this is the last year of his contract so not sure why we loaned him out instead of selling him. I guess you'll just sign him on a free next year. He Isn't coming back to United as Joel Pereira is rated higher and Dean Henderson who just played against you for Grimsby is quite good as well. 

14 minutes ago, tommybread said:

I don't really get the loan move since as far as I know this is the last year of his contract so not sure why we loaned him out instead of selling him. I guess you'll just sign him on a free next year. He Isn't coming back to United as Joel Pereira is rated higher and Dean Henderson who just played against you for Grimsby is quite good as well. 

United have another 12 month option on him next year .

• Like 3

Â