Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

I said at the time it was a mistake to swap keepers how we did. If you are going to do it you have to be really sure the new guy is first class, it's the one position where the pressure on the replacement is immense.

We saw what a mess Sherwood got into when he dropped a poor Guzman and then had to play a poor Given.

In addition as it happens, I never saw much wrong with Gollini.

Having said all that it seems he didn't really want to be here in which case forget all that !!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

I said at the time it was a mistake to swap keepers how we did. If you are going to do it you have to be really sure the new guy is first class, it's the one position where the pressure on the replacement is immense.

We saw what a mess Sherwood got into when he dropped a poor Guzman and then had to play a poor Given.

In addition as it happens, I never saw much wrong with Gollini.

Having said all that it seems he didn't really want to be here in which case forget all that !!

Should have got an experienced. Keeper - pretty obvious to everyone .

he swapped an inexperienced keeper for an inexperienced keeper .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Defence look a nervous wreck with him on goal - he looks a terrible keeper -doesn't organise , can't catch and can't stop many shots - poor positioning and makes gollini look like Gordon banks in comparison .

utter ludicrous signing!

This... was like having Brad G at his worst back in goal, poor hands, defence seemed nervous when playing back towards goal and shitt kicking. Miffed with the whole Golini situation, thank god it's a loan

Edited by honest_bertie

What the hell was he at for the second goal. It was 3 yards out when the Brentford player applied the finishing touch. He should have been out and claimed that ball all day. As for the pathetic punch when the ball was waist high in the second half??? Dear lord. This guy is worse than Enkleman.

Edited by limvillian

All we needed was a half decent championship stopper. 

He worries me. Punched one today which was an easy catch at the far post. Just don't understand it. Let scunthorpe train the young keepers on loan. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I can't see how he is at fault for the goals but I guess we gotta blame someone. 

Just because he didn't make a major error doesn't mean he wasn't at fault. Taking the third for example. Do I expect him to save it, probably not. Was it possible to stop that? Definitely.

He decided to just fall flat on his arse though. Didn't dive, didn't make himself big, didn't come forward and close the angle. Just sat down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Just because he didn't make a major error doesn't mean he wasn't at fault. Taking the third for example. Do I expect him to save it, probably not. Was it possible to stop that? Definitely.

He decided to just fall flat on his arse though. Didn't dive, didn't make himself big, didn't come forward and close the angle. Just sat down.

I get they but he hasn't cost us games with blunders yet. That's my point.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I get they but he hasn't cost us games with blunders yet. That's my point.

has he made any saves yet? i can sit in goals and not make errors but if the shots are going on...

Why did he come out and dive for the first Brentford goal? Just stand up and make yourself big so the bloke can't chip it straight into the middle of the goal.

He's crap. In every aspect of his game. His punching especially, is embarrassing. 

I hate him. 

• Like 3

So bad I'd even consider putting bunn in goal ahead of him and bunn is poor .

is Jed steer fit again yet ? If so then give steer a run of games as Johnstone is not good enough and the only ones benefitting are united .

• Like 1

I'd go as far as to say that Johnstone is not only a downgrade on Bunn in terms of ability, he's also a downgrade in terms of instilling any sort of belief in his back 4.

We already knew his attitude stank. What's the point in bringing in a team of top Championship players and putting a terrible keeper behind them to make them even more nervous to make a mistake because they know it's most likely going to end up in the back of the net. 

• Like 1

Just a quick stat check.....to back up my feelings that our back four, although never at any point this season 'solid', have certainly looked more shaky since Johnstone came in. 

• Gollini: Played 19.5 games - Conceded 17 goals (0.87 pg)
  • Bunn: Played 5.5 games - Conceded 7 goals (1.27 pg)
  • Johnstone: Played 3 games - Conceded 6 goals (2 pg)

We are scoring an average of 1 goal per game, it's not difficult to see which way our season is going unless a) Johnstone finds some improvement or B) we start averaging 3 goals per game.

Â