Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

You say it's common sense, but ignore what the club have said...

Taken from the Steve Round interview thread Link

Surely just because we would be in trouble next season that doesn't mean we should spend so much this season to ensure our punishment would be even more severe? 

8 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Surely just because we would be in trouble next season that doesn't mean we should spend so much this season to ensure our punishment would be even more severe? 

With all respect Czechlad, when was the last time you went to Villa Park?

I think you'll find that the massive increase in revenue to accommodate such expensive signings comes from the increase in alcohol consumption. Do you realise how many beers it takes before you can bring yourself to watch that shite live? And we Villans can hold our booze so the maths is easy when all things are said and done ;)

• Like 3

Just now, villarocker said:

With all respect Czechlad, when was the last time you went to Villa Park?

I think you'll find that the massive increase in revenue to accommodate such expensive signings comes from the increase in alcohol consumption. Do you realise how many beers it takes before you can bring yourself to watch that shite live? And we Villans can hold our booze so the maths is easy when all things are said and done ;)

I was there a few months ago. I plan on attending at least one more match before season's end. It's a bit tough for me though. I travel a lot for work and when I am in the UK, I am typically in Scotland so convincing my girlfriend to drive down to Birmingham to surely watch villa disappoint us once again is a challenge. 

Side note, I hate British law that states I can't enjoy a pint in my seat. One good thing about Czech matches is the football is so dire that you need a few pints to watch so they let you have them at your seat. I guess the fear is the fans would throw their drinks at the players?, but if Czech can be civilised, I'd imagine England could as well. 

7 hours ago, bobzy said:

Staggering how quickly people write off keepers.  Johnstone is fine.  Gollini was fine.  Not giving them the chance to make mistakes is ridiculous.

Look at Lloris against Man City - one of the World's best keepers making 2 mistakes.  I take it he should be sacked off immediately?!

He should be sold to Villa immediately.  No worse punishment. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I was there a few months ago. I plan on attending at least one more match before season's end. It's a bit tough for me though. I travel a lot for work and when I am in the UK, I am typically in Scotland so convincing my girlfriend to drive down to Birmingham to surely watch villa disappoint us once again is a challenge. 

Side note, I hate British law that states I can't enjoy a pint in my seat. One good thing about Czech matches is the football is so dire that you need a few pints to watch so they let you have them at your seat. I guess the fear is the fans would throw their drinks at the players?, but if Czech can be civilised, I'd imagine England could as well. 

I've never understood the concept that a man could ever waste his beer by throwing it an opposing fan or people playing football that earn tons more than us. Plus, how far do they expect those shitty plastic cups to travel through the air? Beer is for drinking - not throwing! 

Staying on topic, I think Johnstone looks like a beer drinker. 

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 1

Just now, villarocker said:

I've never understood the concept that a man could ever waste his beer by throwing it an opposing fan or people playing football that earn tons more than us. Plus, how far do they expect those shitty plastic cups to travel through the air? Beer is for drinking - not throwing! 

Plus with how expensive those things are, you'd think people would be fearful of losing their beer. Although I could easily see some people in the front seats of the Holte being able to splash an opposing (or our) keeper with a beer shower. 

• Like 1

On 23/01/2017 at 13:48, bobzy said:

Staggering how quickly people write off keepers.  Johnstone is fine.  Gollini was fine.  Not giving them the chance to make mistakes is ridiculous.

Look at Lloris against Man City - one of the World's best keepers making 2 mistakes.  I take it he should be sacked off immediately?!

I'm usually the one defending keepers, but that's not a particularly good example :) 

On 21/01/2017 at 16:33, The Fun Factory said:

That was the idea for Cleverley. Then when he finally stated to play in the last 2 months of the season he buggered off to the Everton reserve team.

Difference is Cleverley always wanted to go to Everton, he agreed a move with them at the start of the season but Everton **** around and we forced him to go to Villa. He was always going to go to Everton after the year. 

Johnstone is never going to make it at United and it is very unlikely a Premier League club will sign him yet to be there first choice and he isn't going to swap one bench for another. He already tried to force a permanent move last January to Preston but was told he couldn't go. With Joel Pereira now having experience Sam will likely be allowed to move on if he still wishes. So unless Preston can persuade him again there isn't much reason why you wouldn't be able to sign Johnstone permanently. United never step in the way of youth players moving on and often help them try make the next step in their career and let them leave for small fees. Especially with Bruce as manager you could probably get Johnstone for half of what you paid for Gollini. The fee agreed to Preston last season was only around 1m but van Gaal stopped it because he wanted a third choice.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, tommybread said:

Difference is Cleverley always wanted to go to Everton, he agreed a move with them at the start of the season but Everton **** around and we forced him to go to Villa. He was always going to go to Everton after the year. 

Johnstone is never going to make it at United and it is very unlikely a Premier League club will sign him yet to be there first choice and he isn't going to swap one bench for another. He already tried to force a permanent move last January to Preston but was told he couldn't go. With Joel Pereira now having experience Sam will likely be allowed to move on if he still wishes. So unless Preston can persuade him again there isn't much reason why you wouldn't be able to sign Johnstone permanently. United never step in the way of youth players moving on and often help them try make the next step in their career and let them leave for small fees. Especially with Bruce as manager you could probably get Johnstone for half of what you paid for Gollini. The fee agreed to Preston last season was only around 1m but van Gaal stopped it because he wanted a third choice.

Thanks for the insight as always tommy. What is your perspective on Johnstone's ability (if you have one)?

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Thanks for the insight as always tommy. What is your perspective on Johnstone's ability (if you have one)?

Think it is hard to predict a keeper, maybe because I'm not a keeper myself but also a lot of it is just how the handle it mentally. Its a do or die position that a young player can't make mistakes in, and confidence and mental ability are very big factors that can be a bit hard to judge. 

From what I have seen of him in the youth teams and on tour he is a very talented keeper. Always read very positive reviews from Doncaster and Preston fans as well. Preston really wanted to sign him permanently. From what I have seen he is a pretty good reader of the game and is confident. Isn't afraid to come off his line. Maybe not the best kicker but how important is that really. Preston only brought in Pickford last season because they couldn't get Johnstone, look at Pickford now when given a chance. That's all it takes with a lot of young players, give them a chance and they'll flourish. Its a shame Johnstone wasted a year last season. He has already impressed at League One and Championship level and was a highly rated youth player so I see no reason why he couldn't become a lower - mid-table Premier League level keeper. 

• Like 1

I think Johnstone stayed last year as he thought he had a shot of number one.

He played most of pre season and of course at that time it was assumed DDG would move to Madrid.

I remember before you played us away second game there was debate whether it would be Johnstone or Romero. 

Romero started, De Gea stayed and so Johnstone's sniff of a first team chance was ended.

I agree he'll move on in the summer so given he's on loan here we're in pole position. 

Â