Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

to me the keeper will be called into action when an opposition forward beats a defender or the defender makes a mistake. When such a mistake is made then when the keeper is the last line of defence. 

If defender never slipped up and blocked off every attack before it started - we wouldn't need keepers. If he is unable to get his body/hand/foot etc in the way of the ball after a defensive lapse then he is clearly of little use to us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

to me the keeper will be called into action when an opposition forward beats a defender or the defender makes a mistake. When such a mistake is made then when the keeper is the last line of defence. 

If defender never slipped up and blocked off every attack before it started - we wouldn't need keepers. If he is unable to get his body/hand/foot etc in the way of the ball after a defensive lapse then he is clearly of little use to us.

Defence allowed to make mistakes - goalkeeper isn't.  Got it.

6 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

The point you're missing is a good keeper saves one of them. He's not. So he didn't. Although he didn't throw one in the net, I think he could have done better for all. You say the second goal was a tap in from four yards? Why is the ball bouncing in his six yard box?

Not to mention his shitty flaps. Catch the **** ball mate

We're stuck with him all season. I'm just glad we didn't sign him. Certainly not good enough for United and won't make it here

First one I'm not sure about. Striker over ran it so he had to come out for it as it was his best chance of stopping him, just a tidy finish. Second and Third I agree with. Third wasn't even that wide, it was nearer the middle of the goal than the post FFS. 

Who looks scared to be playing in goal. Just wants to sit on his line all game and avoid all potential contact going up for the ball.

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

First one I'm not sure about. Striker over ran it so he had to come out for it as it was his best chance of stopping him, just a tidy finish. Second and Third I agree with. Third wasn't even that wide, it was nearer the middle of the goal than the post FFS. 

Who looks scared to be playing in goal. Just wants to sit on his line all game and avoid all potential contact going up for the ball.

Genuinely would love to know what he should do for the second goal.  It's ridiculous to criticise him.

I don't want to jump on the bandwagon, but i will say I'm still waiting for him to make his first proper save..

I'll excuse him for not trying to catch the ball last night as you may have noticed it was absolutely tipping down, ive played in goal in those conditions and trying to catch a wet ball isn't easy.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Because both our centre backs ran to the ball and missed it.

A keeper could have saved the third goal, including Johnstone, but he definitely shouldn't "have saved" any of the goals.

I think you missed my original point. 

I called him a liability, not in the David James sense of top, top keeper who lets in howlers occasionally. Or in the "one error every game" to cost us points

In the sense that he is a bad goalkeeper. His judgement is poor, his reflexes are poor, his punching is poor, his catching is non-existent, his recovery is so slow it's painful. 

If you ask Preston fans about him they'll be kind by saying that part of why they didn't think he was that good was because Pickford from Sunderland came in on loan after he was there and he is a class above so they noticed the difference in quality straight away. But he also was very well hidden as a poor goalkeeper behind a well-drilled back 5 who were a class above in league 1. If he'd played for any other club in league 1 I would doubt he'd ever have made an appearance in the championship. I'm genuinely shocked Utd kept him on again with a new deal but then again we've just signed Gardner up for 4 years so everyone makes mistakes. 

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think it's worth remembering that Johnstone is only 23 years old, not even close to the peak age for a goalkeeper, he will improve over time no doubt

Which is why it's a stupid signing. Should've gone experienced. No point developing someone elses keeper.

• Like 3

Brief breakdown of his performance last night should explain why he conceded 3 goals.

1. For some reason he refuses to catch a ball, I'm sure he can but for whatever reason he doesn't. Punching the ball does not stop the attack catching it does.

2. His positioning, last night for all 3 goals his positioning was wrong and make the goals seem harder to stop than they are. E.g the one he had chipped over him he showed way to much of the goal to the attacker and went down way to quickly.

3. Reading of attackers, it seems that he is waiting for an attacker to actually do something before reacting rather than reading the players body and actions. For the last goal it was pretty obvious where the ball was going to go before his foot hit the ball so back to my previous point he could have positioned himself better. 

All in all people will say the goals were not his fault and I do agree with them in principal as ye defence did make mistake to lead them to scoring but none of these shots were impossible to save if he followed the last 2 points I made.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think it's worth remembering that Johnstone is only 23 years old, not even close to the peak age for a goalkeeper, he will improve over time no doubt

Yes which would be all fine and good if we owned him or even had the option to buy. We only have a loan for him which makes me believe Jose wants to use him next season likely as De Gea's #2. We are developing United's players, and we will be back to square one in the summer. 

The defence looked all over the place yesterday, I don't think it's fair to blame the keeper.

To be fair, watching the game yesterday, I don't really see how he can be blamed for any of the goals? They were good finishes by Brentford.

There wasn't a single goal where I thought "Yeah he should have saved that"...

That said, I wish we had have stuck with Gollini....

Just now, PieFacE said:

The defence looked all over the place yesterday, I don't think it's fair to blame the keeper.

To be fair, watching the game yesterday, I don't really see how he can be blamed for any of the goals? They were good finishes by Brentford.

There wasn't a single goal where I thought "Yeah he should have saved that"...

That said, I wish we had have stuck with Gollini....

I think the ratio of shots to goals he has conceded makes many of us feel if a team has a shot on target the chances are it will probably be a goal :(

• Like 1

Â