Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

Bruce has good Utd connections remember. If he didn't rate Gollini I respect his decision to go with someone he either knows or has had trusted contacts recommend to him. If we did want to make it permanent then I'm sure Bruce can negotiate a deal. Right now I agree that there's not seeming much of an improvement though. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, astonaidan said:

I really dont see a improvement on Gollini. Who we at least owned. I could understand if we had got Westwood from Sheffield but Johnstone is a confusing transfer for me

Thing is, if Gollini wanted to go back to Italy, what options did we have?

I'd like a more experienced keeper, which I'm sure we will see in the summer but for a short term fix then Johnstone is fine IMO

18 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'd like a more experienced keeper, which I'm sure we will see in the summer but for a short term fix then Johnstone is fine IMO

Allan mcgregor linked with loan to Cardiff would have been better option .

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Allan mcgregor linked with loan to Cardiff would have been better option .

Agreed. Thought he might be out of contract this summer but he's there until 2018

4 hours ago, Xela said:

If Gollini wanted to go, you could find 10 goalies more experienced than Johnstone. I mentioned Westwood, but there is other goalies out there

I am pretty sure due to financial fair play, we can't be signing players like we were in the summer. Bruce didn't trust Gollini and knew that midfield was a more pressing spot that needed fixing, so he is using whatever transfer funds we have left on that spot instead of actually buying a new keeper. 

54 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I am pretty sure due to financial fair play, we can't be signing players like we were in the summer. Bruce didn't trust Gollini and knew that midfield was a more pressing spot that needed fixing, so he is using whatever transfer funds we have left on that spot instead of actually buying a new keeper. 

Fair enough but why didn't he loan an experienced keeper perhaps with a view to a permanent deal in the summer .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

Based on? Didn't Round/Wyness say this wasn't a concern?

Obviously, want to reduce the ridiculously high wage bill and make more money, but I don't think we wouldn't be signing anyone at present because of it.

I think I read before that Johnstone was recommended by the goalkeeping coach. I dont think was that many keepers on the market that we could have loaned that would have helped us. McGregor maybe but before yesterday he has played one game since the end of April and that would make him a bigger risk than Johnstone or Gollini at moment

On 21/01/2017 at 17:06, Zatman said:

didnt see the game was he at fault for the goals?

I didn't think so.

At the time I thought maybe he committed himself to the second goal but looking at the replay I'm not sure he could have done anything.

First goal I was right behind the shot and even though it wasn't in the corner I think he was very much unsighted.

On 21/01/2017 at 17:06, Zatman said:

didnt see the game was he at fault for the goals?

I didn't think so.

At the time I thought maybe he committed himself to the second goal but looking at the replay I'm not sure he could have done anything.

First goal I was right behind the shot and even though it wasn't in the corner I think he was very much unsighted.

Staggering how quickly people write off keepers.  Johnstone is fine.  Gollini was fine.  Not giving them the chance to make mistakes is ridiculous.

Look at Lloris against Man City - one of the World's best keepers making 2 mistakes.  I take it he should be sacked off immediately?!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Based on? Didn't Round/Wyness say this wasn't a concern?

Obviously, want to reduce the ridiculously high wage bill and make more money, but I don't think we wouldn't be signing anyone at present because of it.

Based on common sense. We are a championship club and we spent a ridiculous amount in the summer. There is no way we are bringing in revenue near what we spent. FFP is meant to stop Tony from buying up the championship and getting us promoted that way. FIFA doesn't want clubs risking everything they have on getting promoted then failing and getting liquidated. It sucks, but clearly there has to be something stopping us from spending more. 

22 hours ago, Eastie said:

Fair enough but why didn't he loan an experienced keeper perhaps with a view to a permanent deal in the summer .

Who could we have realistically gotten though? There are not too many quality keepers who are available on loan, and willing to go down to a midtable championship club. 

2 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Based on common sense. We are a championship club and we spent a ridiculous amount in the summer. There is no way we are bringing in revenue near what we spent. FFP is meant to stop Tony from buying up the championship and getting us promoted that way. FIFA doesn't want clubs risking everything they have on getting promoted then failing and getting liquidated. It sucks, but clearly there has to be something stopping us from spending more. 

You say it's common sense, but ignore what the club have said...

On 26 November 2016 at 11:15, OutByEaster? said:

It was mentioned - he said we were fine this season, most likely fine next season if not promoted and would have no problem in the Premier League.

Taken from the Steve Round interview thread Link

Edited by mikeyp102

Â