Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

sure the excuse was Gollini was young and he was going to get better ;)

in Johnstone defence he has made one mistake in games that I have seen him play and that was vs Wolves and even then it was dreadful defending that allowed the error to happen. He isnt brilliant but I think he is getting a hard time on here for the fact he is a loanee. Gollini was as bad and got defended as he had potential

7 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think it's worth remembering that Johnstone is only 23 years old, not even close to the peak age for a goalkeeper, he will improve over time no doubt

The same could be said for Gollini, but even you wrote him off, and he was 2 years younger - more time on hi side and he actually belonged to us.

I was really amazed we signed this player, ok at least he hasn't made any real clanger, but at least Gollini saved some shots eg Leeds game he made some top saves.

Johnstone reminds me of Carson, does the basics of goalkeeping pretty well, but doesn't save anything not thats straight at him

• Like 2

We needed an experienced keeper. Why didnt we go get a decent experienced keeper. Id rather Bunn than this fella at the moment. I hope he gets better but he looks awful so far. 

• Like 4

He doesn't talk to the defence either... Looks mute, there were positional mistakes aplenty and he didn't give instruction. Gollini was better no doubt, some great shot stopping at least, saved some nailed on goals one on one... 

9 hours ago, Junxs said:

The same could be said for Gollini, but even you wrote him off, and he was 2 years younger - more time on hi side and he actually belonged to us.

I was really amazed we signed this player, ok at least he hasn't made any real clanger, but at least Gollini saved some shots eg Leeds game he made some top saves.

Johnstone reminds me of Carson, does the basics of goalkeeping pretty well, but doesn't save anything not thats straight at him

Exactly this !

• Like 1

I dont care about Johnstones potential or hwo he will improve with age.  We have him on loan, we need good now.

Pointless bringing him in instead of Gollini unless Gollini was kicking off about losing an Italian Goalkeeper coach.

21 hours ago, Eastie said:

I think the ratio of shots to goals he has conceded makes many of us feel if a team has a shot on target the chances are it will probably be a goal :(

If our defence continue to just split and allow one-on-ones then, yes, his shots to goals ratio will be poor.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If we're complaining that keepers aren't saving shots that "aren't impossible to save" then we're going to be complaining a lot :D 

Given,  Guzan, Gollini didn't have problems making excellent saves.  it was the other parts of their game that they seemed to lack. 

You can normally tell a quality of a keeper by seeing how close they were to saving it, Johnstone isn't getting anywhere near the goals he's letting in. I'm hoping for some real improvement in the next game or two. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

You can normally tell a quality of a keeper by seeing how close they were to saving it, Johnstone isn't getting anywhere near the goals he's letting in. 

I mean, I'm not defending Johnstone. I don't think he's been that great (even though I think people are being overly harsh as usual)

But what I've quoted just isn't true.

don't remember people saying how Bosnich would improve when he hit the first team at the ripe old age of 20 .....he was already the real deal.

Best keeper I've seen at VP - and that includes Rimmer.

I won't judge Johnstone on my brief viewing of him, as I only saw him against Brentford and the conditions were not good for goalkeepers. His stats from all of his games so far don't look good though, and need to improve as they say a good goalkeeper will win you xx amount of points over the season. Bosnich had that Aussie swagger about him. I agree with hippo in that he was probably the best keeper in my time of supporting Villa, which also goes back as far as Rimmer. He did have his weaknesses though, and his kicking still gives me nightmares, I still see him kicking it straight to Le Tiss in the last minute for a Saints equaliser. Bosnich however made world class saves that won more matches, than his kicking lost.

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Bosnich was by far the best I've seen play for us, no question. 

Agreed

Spink was excellent as well. I think he was underrated. 

Â