The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

On 3/31/2017 at 20:03, Grasshopper said:

Getting up this year would better on all accounts whether we stayed up or came down

1) Staying here next season would mean only being able to buy players at this level or/and for this level

There is no garantee that who you buy or what you spend gets you up. So there is no Fact to suggest us being better equipped this or next season (lose Kodjia Chester....Jedi older.....no keeper of note....buying more flops.....using Gaby/Richards/McC)

Going up this year would mean next season being PL with PL money (+DrT's) and a 17 in 20 positional chance of staying up (even a 3 in 6 if you just accept being 15 or below).

2) going up -> coming down would give DrT & the Board a 1st hand idea of what is needed to go up & stay up

3) going up would simply mean even more money, exposure and clout to buy better players attract better staff (manager -> tin hat) having pinpoints in the season to assess all positions so  DrT & the board can react

4) coming down again would also lengthen and increase the parachute money

5) every year we stay down here will get more difficult and the playing style more dogged and horrendous. Add that the difference from PL to Ch is growing year on year, we will need more to get out of here and even more to stay up there.

These point are almost all wrong.

1) "Going up this year would mean next season being PL with PL money (+DrT's) and a 17 in 20 positional chance of staying up (even a 3 in 6 if you just accept being 15 or below)."

No. This is crazy maths. It doesn't work like that.
And yes we'd have PL money for one season, but if we followed that up with relegation then we're back in the Championship.

2) Whilst I don't disagree with that, you're still talking in 2 season's time being back in the championship. Going up next season instead would mean in 2 seasons time we'd be in the Premier League and with a better chance of staying there.

3) Yes it would, for one season. if we came straight back down then that disappears again.

4) Yes it would. But that's worth far less than going up next season and staying up.

5) I agree, which is why if we went up and came back down then we'd still be in the Championship in 2 seasons, whereas going up next season with a better chance of staying up would mean we're out of it.

Your points are totally valid if the options are going up this season vs not going up. of course they are.
But in the hypothetical comparison of going up this season vs going up next season, I don't think many of them hold up.

I'll admit there's some pretty big assumptions in my arguments. If going up this season meant we STAYED up, then again I'd obviously be totally behind that option.

I just don't think we'd stay up if we did.

Edited by Stevo985

There are too many teams above us, but none of them are in any kind of form really.  Fulham and Preston were but have stuttered a bit.  Over the last 7 games:

6th - Fulham - 12 points.
7th - Sheff Wed - 5 points.
8th - Preston - 10 points.
9th - Norwich - 6 points.
10th - Derby - 8 points.
11th - Villa - 18 points.

Unfortunately, the same again will leave us slightly short.

6th - Fulham - 76 points.
7th - Villa - 72 points.
7th - Sheff Wed - 68 points.
8th - Preston - 68 points.
9th - Derby - 64 points
10th - Norwich - 63 points.

Heart wants 6th, Head says 8th or 9th, with 7th almost being like us winning the mini league.

I still maintain that anything can happen as long as we keep winning.

The more the teams above fail to keep winning whilst we do, the more panic will set in for them.

I'm hoping they find some super Aston Villa of the past bottling strength.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Derby will beat fulham. We win.. the gap is 7. Problem is Sheffield will beat Rotherham and the gap is 9 again with 6 to go. If Rotherham can sneak a draw against Sheffield.. the gap could be 7 with 6 to go. 

At least its making the season interesting. 

• Like 1

Sheffield Wednesday have 1 win from 6 games.  Preston have 1 win from 5 games.  Norwich have 1 win from 8 games.

Those 3 have completely fallen off a cliff, although form is temporary and they may improve.  The only other relevant 2 are Derby & Fulham.  If we're going to win our games then we can probably discount Derby who are 2pts ahead of us.

That leaves Fulham who, if you favour midtable games at this stage of the season, numerically have the easiest run-in in the entire league.  Although it becomes a little more difficult when you realise that 3 of those midtable sides (Derby, Norwich, Villa) still have playoff aspirations.   Even Brentford who have nothing to play for are currently 2nd in the form guide (although may not be by the time week 45 comes around).

1 hour ago, KSV said:

Derby will beat fulham. We win.. the gap is 7. Problem is Sheffield will beat Rotherham and the gap is 9 again with 6 to go. If Rotherham can sneak a draw against Sheffield.. the gap could be 7 with 6 to go. 

At least its making the season interesting. 

Guess now Rotherham are relegated the pressure is off. We really do need to beat qpr and Derby to beat Fulham and Rotherham to beat Shef to get this gap down to something we have a chance of catching

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

There are too many teams above us, but none of them are in any kind of form really.  Fulham and Preston were but have stuttered a bit.  Over the last 7 games:

6th - Fulham - 12 points.
7th - Sheff Wed - 5 points.
8th - Preston - 10 points.
9th - Norwich - 6 points.
10th - Derby - 8 points.
11th - Villa - 18 points.

Unfortunately, the same again will leave us slightly short.

6th - Fulham - 76 points.
7th - Villa - 72 points.
7th - Sheff Wed - 68 points.
8th - Preston - 68 points.
9th - Derby - 64 points
10th - Norwich - 63 points.

That does the exact opposite of what you intended I think. It gives me a huge amount of hope, especially as we play Fulham and Fulham have by far the hardest run in of the lot. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

As good ol' Paul Lambo would say, we have 7 cup finals. For the right reason this time! 

Game by game, win by win. This is the best end of a season feeling in a long time. 

17 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That does the exact opposite of what you intended I think. It gives me a huge amount of hope, especially as we play Fulham and Fulham have by far the hardest run in of the lot. 

No intention at all! I think we're too far behind Fulham, personally, but that shows it IS possible...

• Like 1