The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

Seems the closer we get and the more we win, the quicker people are to say it won't happen. Almost like we've supported Villa for too long to let ourselves have hope.. 

We could though.. We could just do it.. 

Just now, mykeyb said:

Do you think our performances warrant the points return.

Do you see us making up a 10 point gap with only 24 to play for?

We don't score enough goals to achieve that

Do I think we warrant our current points return? Yes. We are keeping clean sheets and scoring in every game, not many granted but yes I think we deserve the results we are getting.

Do I see us making up a 9 point gap (10 with the GD), I think its unlikely but possible but the margin for error is so small I think its a very very long shot.

I don't agree that the number of goals we score or don't score greatly impacts upon the likelihood or otherwise of us reaching the play offs.

I also don't agree with your original point, which you seem to be trying to move away from, that Derby and Preston have a better chance because they are playing better than us.

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

81 points should be enough, if we do that then Bruce has worked a miracle.

81 points to get 6th?!?!? 

Whats the highest points total a team has got for finishing 6th? 81 points has to be up there?

Just now, bobzy said:

I can't work out all the possibilities, but Sheff Wed play both Derby and Fulham.

I don't think that's a good thing for us?

I'm not really too bothered about other teams results.

I just want us to keep winning and see where it takes us, even if that isn't the top 6 its a nice bloody change and it has to help for the summer and next season.

Onwards and upwards.

• Like 2

Just now, Sam3773 said:

Seems the closer we get and the more we win, the quicker people are to say it won't happen. Almost like we've supported Villa for too long to let ourselves have hope.. 

We could though.. We could just do it.. 

Still hugely unlikely - 9 behind plus a far worse gd and only 6 to play .

75 may well not be enough if we win every game but I think a top 8 finish considering what's gone on this season would be very good and bode well for the future.

next season will be our year !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

I'm not really too bothered about other teams results.

I just want us to keep winning and see where it takes us, even if that isn't the top 6 its a nice bloody change and it has to help for the summer and next season.

Onwards and upwards.

They directly affect our "push for the play offs" though - which is what the thread is about :)

Completely agree on the second and third parts.

• Like 2

Just now, bobzy said:

They directly affect our "push for the play offs" though - which is what the thread is about :)

Completely agree on the second and third parts.

Of course they do, I just mean I'm not bothered about trying to work out all the different connotations of who play's who even though it impacts upon us. 

If we win our games, we can do no more and what will be will be.

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Do I think we warrant our current points return? Yes. We are keeping clean sheets and scoring in every game, not many granted but yes I think we deserve the results we are getting.

Do I see us making up a 9 point gap (10 with the GD), I think its unlikely but possible but the margin for error is so small I think its a very very long shot.

I don't agree that the number of goals we score or don't score greatly impacts upon the likelihood or otherwise of us reaching the play offs.

I also don't agree with your original point, which you seem to be trying to move away from, that Derby and Preston have a better chance because they are playing better than us.

Not at all, I stand by my comment we struggle to score goals, Derby and Preston have shown tonight that they can score goals. A team who can score more than a be or two a game give them selves more if chance of winning when the concession. Our good run is in no small part to keeping clean sheets.

I think both Derby and Preston will be closer than us

12 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

81 points should be enough, if we do that then Bruce has worked a miracle.

Sorry basic maths 46 not 48 games so we need to make up 10 points with 18 to play for...........Do people really see teams above us dropping those number of points.

3 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Not at all, I stand by my comment we struggle to score goals, Derby and Preston have shown tonight that they can score goals. A team who can score more than a be or two a game give them selves more if chance of winning when the concession. Our good run is in no small part to keeping clean sheets.

I think both Derby and Preston will be closer than us

Preston have:
Leeds (A), Huddersfield (A), Norwich (H), Newcastle (A), Rotherham (H), Wolves (A)

Derby have:
Blues (A), Brentford (A), Huddersfield (H), Sheff Wed (A), Wolves (H), Rotherham (A)

We have:
Burton (A), Reading (H), Fulham (A), Blues (H), Blackburn (A), Brighton (H)

I think we catch Preston (4 point gap at the moment) - Derby is tougher to call.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Very good chance of being 7 points away on sat with 5 to go. If we can just get to within 2 points by the last game...

Fulham play Sheffield Wednesday last game of the season so I don't think even been 2 points off at that stage will be enough.