The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

We have to win every game to have a chance so if we take it that we will finish the season on 75 points that means that Fulham need to take 11 points from 7 games (that would then give them 75 points and they have a far superior goal difference at present) and Sheff Wednesday would need to take 13 points from 7 games (that would then give them 76 points).

On the face of it 11 points from 7 games looks comfortable for Fulham. However they go to Derby tomorrow and if they were to lose that then it becomes 11 points from 6 games. We also play them and given that we have to win every game that would then leave them looking at 11 points from 5 games which is tough going. Fulham also have to go to Huddersfield, Norwich and Sheff Wednesday (last game).

Sheff Wednesday have the easier run in but they are on a dire run. They play Newcastle on Saturday so if they were to lose that and we win all our games they would need to take 13 points from their other 6 games which is some going when you are on the dire run they are.

Of the others in front of us Preston have to go to Leeds, Huddersfield and Newcastle, Norwich have to go to Huddersfield and Leeds and have Brighton and Reading at home. Derby have the easiest run in of all the clubs with their toughest games being Sheff Wednesday away and Huddersfield at home. We are though only two points behind them.

I think basically we win all our games and I think we would finish 6th. Whether we can is the thing but it is obviously a big ask. You take one game at a time though and we win tomorrow and go into Burton away on the back of 7 wins in last 8 then you’d heavily fancy us to keep that run going. Then it could get very interesting.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Another win tomorrow and it'll start getting very interesting.  Still massively unlikely, but just keep winning, especially by a couple of goals and who knows.  It's good to be excited at the pointy end of the season, rather than filled with dread.

8 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Another win tomorrow and it'll start getting very interesting.  Still massively unlikely, but just keep winning, especially by a couple of goals and who knows.  It's good to be excited at the pointy end of the season, rather than filled with dread.

Its just a good feeling to have something positive still within the realms of posibility at this stage of the season!

Makes me laugh that most Norwich fans have given up hope of getting 6th yet they are still 3 points ahead of us!

Teams who are not used to getting the tar beaten out of them for the past few seasons would have given up the ghost a long time ago!

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

Sheffield will beat Rotherham, so really need Fulham to draw/lose against Derby away.

We need to be wary of Derby too.  They're ahead of us and they now have Gary Rowett in charge.  They still have to go to Hillsborough but they finish with Rotherham.  But yes, one step at a time while keeping everything crossed.

Regarding Fulham I know we will likely have to beat them to stand any chance regardless and with their run in I think 11 points is a hard ask. Derby, Norwich, Huddersfield and Wednesday away? Oof. Not to mention ourselves at home along with a tough to beat Ipswich and Brentford who are a decent mid table outfit. 

Wednesday's is a bit kinder, Newcastle, Derby and of course Fulham being the tougher fixtures. Still, 12 points from 7 games in this league is no mean feat and they are in rotten form at the moment. 

If we win every game we will sneak it IMO. But that in itself is such a huge ask, it's just nice to be feeling on a high for a change. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

We need to be wary of Derby too.  They're ahead of us and they now have Gary Rowett in charge.  

If we win all of our remaining fixtures then Derby will need to do the same to stay ahead of us. If that scenario plays out then FML. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Form guide...

Over the last 6 games we are 1st, over the last 10 games we are 5th.

No doubt about it, we are flying at the moment.

Will it be enough... can we keep it up....

Makes a nice change to be even asking the questions.

• Like 4

OK

I'm on board for this.

So there, I'm saying it.

Go Bruce, Get those wins, get us to 6th, win the playoffs and you deserve a crack at the PL.

Be as tight as a Ducks Arse, Fluke whatever you can. Kodjia us to 3pts a game playing the most turgid football we could ever imagine, Play Hutton & Gardner where ever you want as often as you want.

Just get it done and we can discuss tactics, possesion, passing and whatever later.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Grasshopper said:

OK

I'm on board for this.

So there, I'm saying it.

Go Bruce, Get those wins, get us to 6th, win the playoffs and you deserve a crack at the PL.

Be as tight as a Ducks Arse, Fluke whatever you can. Kodjia us to 3pts a game playing the most turgid football we could ever imagine, Play Hutton & Gardner where ever you want as often as you want.

Just get it done and we can discuss tactics, possesion, passing and whatever later.

Oh balls, that's it we will lose tomorrow now. :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chrisvilla4 said:

I'm a believer but I can't see us winning every game until the end of the season. 

I do really want to be wrong though! 

We don't have to win every game. We can draw in the playoffs and still go up.;)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Form guide...

Over the last 6 games we are 1st, over the last 10 games we are 5th.

No doubt about it, we are flying at the moment.

Will it be enough... can we keep it up....

Makes a nice change to be even asking the questions.

Problem is over the last 10 games Fulham are top. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That's is true. So you could say their form is stuttering whilst ours is best in the league. We should have beaten Huddersfield really. 

I wouldn't say stuttering but it is what it is, we are currently on better form. It remains to be seen if we can maintain it or if it's enough...

But as we look at it currently we are the team to watch. That could all end tomorrow though, we've no margin for error.

• Like 1

I don't imagine any team is looking forward to playing us - even when they're at home.  Players will be beginning to think 'We'll take a draw against this lot' and the mental balance will be tipped in our favour for the first time in years.