The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

Just had a look....it looks tough but they're away to teams like Norwich and Derby who really don't have a lot to play for as we've seen playing us.

I'm also not convicned we've got enough about us as a team to actually go to a place like Fulham and win. Draw yes but win at the Cottage and that would be our best away win of the season by a mile. It's the final thing this team needs to prove that it can go away and win at a top 10 club.

I'll give Fulham another 10 points so they finish on 74 points so we'd need every single game left which is surely beyond us.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Just had a look....it looks tough but they're away to teams like Norwich and Derby who really don't have a lot to play for as we've seen playing us.

I'm also not convicned we've got enough about us as a team to actually go to a place like Fulham and win. Draw yes but win at the Cottage and that would be our best away win of the season by a mile. It's the final thing this team needs to prove that it can go away and win at a top 10 club.

I'll give Fulham another 10 points so they finish on 74 points so we'd need every single game left which is surely beyond us.

It is beyond us I think and we have some tough games ourself. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I disagree, both Derby and Norwich are still in with a shout. Norwich have a good record at home, yet they have only won 4 games away, so are very similar to us in that respect. They obviously have issues away from home but still outplayed us today.

I watched Derby v QPR last night and Derby were magnificent. I think they still think they can make it.

I didn't realise though that Fulham were playing Sheffield Wednesday last game of the season. That could and probably will work against us. We need to be ahead of at least one of them by this point. Wish we weren't playing Brighton last game.

18 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Both Norwich and Derby are ahead of us so really have more to play for.

Don't forget we also won away at Reading (though admittedly that was fairly early in the season). 

I agree that we're not going to do it, but all we can do is keep winning and see what happens. We need to literally take it one game at a time, no matter how cliched it is to say that. 

42 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Don't think we will do it but some more twists and turns to come I reckon. Fulham have had a lot of draws.

I think we will finish 8th which considering in our 2 bad spells we won one in 18 is quite some turnaround - augurs well for next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

I disagree, both Derby and Norwich are still in with a shout. Norwich have a good record at home, yet they have only won 4 games away, so are very similar to us in that respect. They obviously have issues away from home but still outplayed us today.

I watched Derby v QPR last night and Derby were magnificent. I think they still think they can make it.

I didn't realise though that Fulham were playing Sheffield Wednesday last game of the season. That could and probably will work against us. We need to be ahead of at least one of them by this point. Wish we weren't playing Brighton last game.

In any case Fulham have gone to Newcastle and won comfortably so doubt they'll be having sleepless night about going to either of those two venues.

13 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Not if Sheff Weds were to win as well. Then it would still be 9.

Don't Sheff Weds have Newcastle at home next week....will probably drop at least two points then.

For such an expensively assembled squad they're doing a good job of blowing a certain play off place.

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Don't Sheff Weds have Newcastle at home next week....will probably drop at least two points then.

For such an expensively assembled squad they're doing a good job of blowing a certain play off place.

Wednesday play Rotherham on tues so it will be a shock if they drop points in that one .

If we win out last 7 we may just sneak in but it's highly unlikely .

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

Last game I think top two places will have been decided, so might have foot off the gas.

4 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Thats what killed it. Losing to them and Barnsley at home in the space of 4 days was 100% confirmation that we wouldnt be going up this year. Its even more infuriating now that we have started winning.

Aye.  Even in a bad run, if that Ipswich game had played out like the 0-0 it had written all over it and we'd drawn with Barnsley at home I'd fancy us to do it. 

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

If we had just won two more games...

Even then we'd only be looking at a chance of a playoff spot which is three times more likely to end in disappointment than promotion. 

Next season we need to be looking at what is required for a top 2 spot. 

I've mocked the idea that we even had a sniff since Ipswich beat us.

The idea was really quite mad.

But here's the thing.

Its not Mad now. 

We have a fighting chance.

Fulham and Wednesday slip up and we continue, we'll be in. 

Unlikely but stranger runs have happened.

And, regardless, it's really starting to set up next season.