The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

All good points and completely understand the arguments.

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

You are crazy. Whatever season we go up, Xia will spend to cement a Premier League position. And I hate being in the Championship, so the sooner the better.

Maybe. But in my opinion if we went up this season we'd have to spend a lot more to stay up than we would if we went up next season. I actually don't hate the Championship. I'd hate it if we were here for a long time, but I've enjoyed this season more than the last 5 put together.

1 hour ago, Phumfeinz said:

Going up next season is absolutely not a certainty so i don't buy into the whole mantra of spending another year of prep in the championship

The aim is to get promoted asap, and always should be. 

FWIW I think the players we have now would give us a solid chance of staying up, and that's not taking into consideration the reinforcements/improvements that Tony would no doubt splash out on were we promoted.

I see your point about next season not being a certainty and I acknowledged that in my first post. That is the best argument against my opinion I think. If we could somehow guarantee promotion next season though, I'd honestly choose that over this season.

55 minutes ago, KSV said:

Ill call you crazy! 

Like others have said.. any time to go up is a good time.. and if it meant we went up this season.. we must have gone on a pretty crazy run of form and 'gelled' well. Probably do a Leicester and win the premier league next season too ;)

Yeah that's a fair point, but I still think we'd be better set up for it after a title winning season for example.

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That math is plain wrong. £200m better off than what? If we never get promoted? Well yes if that was the alternative of course I would choose promotion this season.

If, however, in your 3 year period, the alternative was to spend another season down here and then get promoted and stay promoted, then THAT would be the better option financially.
Which was my point.

ah good point. 

• Like 1

Getting up this year would better on all accounts whether we stayed up or came down

1) Staying here next season would mean only being able to buy players at this level or/and for this level

There is no garantee that who you buy or what you spend gets you up. So there is no Fact to suggest us being better equipped this or next season (lose Kodjia Chester....Jedi older.....no keeper of note....buying more flops.....using Gaby/Richards/McC)

Going up this year would mean next season being PL with PL money (+DrT's) and a 17 in 20 positional chance of staying up (even a 3 in 6 if you just accept being 15 or below).

2) going up -> coming down would give DrT & the Board a 1st hand idea of what is needed to go up & stay up

3) going up would simply mean even more money, exposure and clout to buy better players attract better staff (manager -> tin hat) having pinpoints in the season to assess all positions so  DrT & the board can react

4) coming down again would also lengthen and increase the parachute money

5) every year we stay down here will get more difficult and the playing style more dogged and horrendous. Add that the difference from PL to Ch is growing year on year, we will need more to get out of here and even more to stay up there.

3 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Getting up next season is far from guaranteed.

Look at this season - I thought we were nailed on to go up.

Anyway, it's a moot point, we will not make it this year, so we must pin our hopes on next season.

I didn't think it was nailed up, knew Brighton were going to be up there and in my mind the other place was going to be between us and Newcastle. 

Next season should be fun tho.

Hypothetical question but would you rather promotion to the prem next season or promoted this season and battling relegation again. 

I for one would rather promotion next season. I'm enjoying winning games and not being beaten every week. We go up next season and we will be a much stronger team. 

1 hour ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Hypothetical question but would you rather promotion to the prem next season or promoted this season and battling relegation again. 

I for one would rather promotion next season. I'm enjoying winning games and not being beaten every week. We go up next season and we will be a much stronger team. 

We're going to be battling relegation whichever year we go up. The longer it takes the harder it's going to be.

• Like 3

The big advantage promoted teams have over the perennial strugglers, such as Sunderland for example, is momentum. They come up used to winning not losing. If we were to come up this season we would be on an amazing winning run which would hopefully give us a great start to next season. 

2 seasons ago Leicester were virtually relegated at this stage. They took the momentum of their late run into the following season and the rest is history. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Look at this season - I thought we were nailed on to go up.

Why on earth did you think that? The whole club was poisonous with a toxic atmosphere flowing throughout every fibre of our being.

Absolutely everything needed changing, from the owner, right the way down to the tea lady. On top of that, we had a collection of rubbish footballers who stank out the Premier League and would most likely have got relegated again had they not been shipped out.

This year was never ever going to be about promotion, just stabilisation.

We seem to have done that so in my view its job done. 

Next season however.....

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Why on earth did you think that? The whole club was poisonous with a toxic atmosphere flowing throughout every fibre of our being.

Absolutely everything needed changing, from the owner, right the way down to the tea lady. On top of that, we had a collection of rubbish footballers who stank out the Premier League and would most likely have got relegated again had they not been shipped out.

Next season however.....

This is bang on. Great post.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Next season however.....

Like Don Simon said

However, looking back at all the changes, shipping out, getting a lot of new players in (not saying good or better players) and the shit thats in this league, If, once a corner had been turned, we could've gone on to get a playoff place (winning it is another thing).  It wouldnt have felt such a waste.

Missing out this time, having had at some point a chance, just means it will be more imperative next season to go up

Presha

Edited by Grasshopper

41 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Like Don Simon said

However, looking back at all the changes, shipping out, getting a lot of new players in (not saying good or better players) and the shit thats in this league, If, once a corner had been turned, we could've gone on to get a playoff place (winning it is another thing).  It wouldnt have felt such a waste.

Missing out this time, having had at some point a chance, just means it will be more imperative next season to go up

Presha

We arent going to just miss out though. My guess is there will be at least 7/8 points and several places between us and 6th come May. And even then youd have to fancy the team in either 3rd, 4th or 5th to actually WIN the play offs.

We are a good way off a team that can get promoted. But we are getting better and hopefully, with a few new signings and a fair wind, we can push for promotion next season.

Edited by One For The Road

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

handy late goal for Barnsley! - It's on :P 

We need beat Norwich, I can't see Preston or Fulham not winning their games today.