The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

Both good arguements, and i see the benifit of both. 

Id personally like another year in this league, I think we need it to further take us away from our old losing mentality, but im not sure whether its a case of just wanting to hold on to this big fish mentality for a while longer.

However, and its a big however, getting out of the championship is not easy, add to that a bit of extra pressure that we will feel next year makes it a possibility that we wont get up.

For that reason alone (head over heart) Id love it to happen this year, and just hope that we wouldnt be too weak mentally to stay up!

Even if the worst happened, and we were to be relegated again, at least we would have another few years parachute payments to help.

Edited by Nigel

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Call me crazy, but even though we're mathematically in with a chance for promotion, I'm not sure I even want it this season.

I think another season with a strong squad and a good run at the league resulting in promotion would be much better for our chances of staying up in the prem when we get there.

The only thing that makes me really want it this season (and I'm speaking hypothetically as I really don't think it's possible whether I want it or not) is it would avoid the risk of us not going up next season.

Completely understand that view and the fact that if we did go up, there would likely be another bigger re-build and another period of bedding in players.  But...it would also be such a remarkable achievement - first making the playoffs and then winning them (lol) - that the momentum and team spirit going into the new season would be incredible.  Plus the $$$$$.

But yeah - I'd be OK with finishing strongly and having the season of winning in the championship that I'd hoped for this time out.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Call me crazy, but even though we're mathematically in with a chance for promotion, I'm not sure I even want it this season.

I think another season with a strong squad and a good run at the league resulting in promotion would be much better for our chances of staying up in the prem when we get there.

The only thing that makes me really want it this season (and I'm speaking hypothetically as I really don't think it's possible whether I want it or not) is it would avoid the risk of us not going up next season.

You are crazy. Whatever season we go up, Xia will spend to cement a Premier League position. And I hate being in the Championship, so the sooner the better.

• Like 2

Going up next season is absolutely not a certainty so i don't buy into the whole mantra of spending another year of prep in the championship

The aim is to get promoted asap, and always should be. 

FWIW I think the players we have now would give us a solid chance of staying up, and that's not taking into consideration the reinforcements/improvements that Tony would no doubt splash out on were we promoted.

• Like 4

No team promoted from the Championship will be ready for the PL anymore. The financial gap is just too great. And it will only get worse the longer time goes on.

Every team promoted will need a rebuild, we are one of few clubs that might actually afford it. Newcastle might be OK to, but without heavy investment they will struggle.

Doubt we will be able to attract many players in the summer that will be good enough for the PL if we are not promoted so building long term for the PL while being in the Championship is not an option anyway.

Add to that that a fair few of our squad are getting on a bit and will likely need to be replaced after next season anyway.

I see no guarantee that we will be promoted next season, so if there is a chance to do it this season we must take it.

Sadly I think we screwed it up during the summer and January period.

• Like 3

Title winning season next season please B)

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Yeah I get what you're saying.  But I'd still take promotion this season if by some miracle we were given the opportunity.  It would then be up to the powers that be to adjust their summer spending plan to build a suitable squad.  No matter when, we'll need to do Premier League levels of spending when the time comes.  May as well be now if we can :)

Plus even coming straight back down again would mean we're on the new and improved insane money level of parachute payments. Will be easier to try again with that cash than without.

• Like 1

I'm with you completely. If this squad can get a solid season behind them next season, learn how to win games together as a team and naturally grow in confidence, it will give us a much better season in the Premier League. We need momentum, we don't really have it enough at the minute. 

If we went up this season we'd drop straight back down. 

9 minutes ago, sne said:

No team promoted from the Championship will be ready for the PL anymore. The financial gap is just too great. And it will only get worse the longer time goes on.

Every team promoted will need a rebuild, we are one of few clubs that might actually afford it. Newcastle might be OK to, but without heavy investment they will struggle.

Doubt we will be able to attract many players in the summer that will be good enough for the PL if we are not promoted so building long term for the PL while being in the Championship is not an option anyway.

Add to that that a fair few of our squad are getting on a bit and will likely need to be replaced after next season anyway.

I see no guarantee that we will be promoted next season, so if there is a chance to do it this season we must take it.

Sadly I think we screwed it up during the summer and January period.

I'm not so sure, I think with the amount of money in the Premier League you can buy smartly abroad and have a decent team pretty quickly. If you have a solid foundation defensively you can add the bit of flair you need to become a 15th to 10th Premier League club. 

35 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Bournemouth, Leicester, Burnley all say hi.

Yeah, new financial situation now thou with the TV deal.

Edit: According to Transfermarkt Bournemouth have signed 18 players (including short and long term loans) and gotten rid of 28 (including short and long term loans) this season.

Burnley almost as bad.

Edited by sne

Ill call you crazy! 

Like others have said.. any time to go up is a good time.. and if it meant we went up this season.. we must have gone on a pretty crazy run of form and 'gelled' well. Probably do a Leicester and win the premier league next season too ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

I'm not so sure, I think with the amount of money in the Premier League you can buy smartly abroad and have a decent team pretty quickly. If you have a solid foundation defensively you can add the bit of flair you need to become a 15th to 10th Premier League club. 

Well yeah, but I'd say that is at least a part rebuild.

Also buying smartly from abroad is the total opposite from our transfer strategy of buying expensive from the Championship :P

You are crazy!  :P

Worst case of getting promoted and then immediately relegated would make us around £200m better off over the next 3 years. 

• Like 3

Of our current crop of player I'd guess Chester, Hourrihane?, Taylor?, DeLaet? Adomah? and Kodija are potentially good enough to be at least squad players in the PL.

Bree, Amavi, Green and Grealish have potential to become good enough.

Jedi will be too old when/if we go up and I've not seen enough of Hogan to say either way. Not so sure on Lansbury.

Will we be able to sign any player in the summer good enough for the PL? I doubt it.

Therefore I doubt we will be building a PL ready team next season should we remain in the Championship.

And if we go up next season then Kodija will be 29, Chester 29, Jedi 33, Adomah 30, DeLaet 29, Taylor 29.

Not over the hill, but hardly a squad to build long term on.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sne said:

Of our current crop of player I'd guess Chester, Hourrihane?, Taylor?, DeLaet? Adomah? and Kodija are potentially good enough to be at least squad players in the PL.

Bree, Amavi, Green and Grealish have potential to become good enough.

Jedi will be too old when/if we go up and I've not seen enough of Hogan to say either way. Not so sure on Lansbury.

Will we be able to sign any player in the summer good enough for the PL? I doubt it.

Therefore I doubt we will be building a PL ready team next season should we remain in the Championship.

And if we go up next season then Kodija will be 29, Chester 29, Jedi 33, Adomah 30, DeLaet 29, Taylor 29.

Not over the hill, but hardly a squad to build long term on.

a long-term squad nowadays is generally around 2 years! :P 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ender4 said:

You are crazy!  :P

Worst case of getting promoted and then immediately relegated would make us around £200m better off over the next 3 years. 

That math is plain wrong. £200m better off than what? If we never get promoted? Well yes if that was the alternative of course I would choose promotion this season.

If, however, in your 3 year period, the alternative was to spend another season down here and then get promoted and stay promoted, then THAT would be the better option financially.
Which was my point.