The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

3 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

8 games to go, 24 points to play for. 75 points has been a play off finishing points haul for the majority of the 21st century. It would be nice but it would require title winning form for the rest of the season.

This upcoming break may actually be a blessing for us. Gives us time to get injured players back and more time to build the bond, plus cohesiveness.

Of course it also gives us time to pick up MORE injuries too. lol

If all goes well we could come back firing in April!

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

Not a chance of a top 6 finish this season - 8th is however very much within our capability and if we finish 8th having been 22nd when we kicked off under Bruce then it might just quell some of his knockers.

Personally I think 8th, at a push 7th too.

We are only 6 points off 8th though so it is very doable.

As has been said, beat Norwich and it's on.

• Like 1

With all the teams up to 6th not in good form and most of them having to play each other as well

as playing the top five, we must have a chance. All of our games are winnable and should we win 7 and draw

the other i think it would be enough. Long shot though but remember Leicester & Barcelona nothing in football

is impossible UTV

22 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

With all the teams up to 6th not in good form and most of them having to play each other as well

as playing the top five, we must have a chance. All of our games are winnable and should we win 7 and draw

the other i think it would be enough. Long shot though but remember Leicester & Barcelona nothing in football

is impossible UTV

Yeah I'm always so surprised when Barcelona win things. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

is impossible UTV

Win 7 and draw 1 in our remaining 8? I think that's extremely optimistic, for a team, that isn't playing that well but still grinding out results like we are.

Still, let's hope for the best! :)

• Like 1

No way are we going to get a play off slot, absolutely no way so for your own sanity, just stop it. 

However it would not surprise me in the slightest if we won the next 6 and then lost the last 2.  It would be very Aston Villa. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

No way are we going to get a play off slot, absolutely no way so for your own sanity, just stop it. 

However it would not surprise me in the slightest if we won the next 6 and then lost the last 2.  It would be very Aston Villa. 

:lol: Where would the fun be in dong that?

If we do win the next six then I would back us to win the last two and the play-off games but we would still need all of the teams above us to not go above 75 points or hit 75 and have a worse goal difference than us (which along with us getting 75 points in the first place is among my doubts). Given a choice, I would take a guarantee of automatic promotion next season over an unlikely run for the play-off lottery this season but there are no guarantees. Until we know for sure that it cannot happen I will cling to a 1 - 5% hope that it just might and give thanks that we are looking at the top of the table rather than the bottom now.     

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Basically to do this we need to capitalize on 4 Wednesday losses and hope Fulham or someone else doesn't take their place instead. Huge huge ask. It's not in our hands. We can win every game and it likely won't matter.

2 losses and alot draws may also do the trick ;). But like you said Fulham or someone else may over take them. The other problem is our for and against.. which would improve though we keep winning 2-0. 

We're not good enough or ready to go up yet imo. We'd only end up being the whipping boys for the media darlings. Much better to go up as a strong unit with lots of confidence. Hopefully this will happen next season

UTV!

• Like 2

Just looking at the tables from previous Championship Seasons as I felt that although it's unlikely we'll get a playoff spot, it's not unheard of. After looking at said final tables, I can emphatically say, without prejudice or question..... Not a bloomin' chance!

Steve Bruce talked about our promotion prospects on BBC Radio WM this morning. He said, "The disappointment for all of us is, is what might have been that horrible, horrible January what we had you know, even if it we'd have just been bang average it would have been interesting because you'll see now the tickly bit is here and how strange it is and if you can put a run together at this time of the season, so we're not going to give up but we'll see where that takes us." 

Sounds like he has been having a bit of a look on here doesn't it? ;)

Edited by John

Is it possible? Yes.

Will it happen? Probably not.

Will the ride to the end of the season be fun? Definitely.

All we can do is win our games. If we can do that we stand a chance, but our fate will be in the hands of the footballing Gods.

• Like 2

small steps. 

we are almost certainly not going to win all our remaining games.

But lets beat Norwich first (tricky in itself), lets then beat QPR and Burton Albion (doable).

If we got to that stage, it would still be out of our hands, but suddenly the 1% chance might be 5-10% chance and the excitement would build.

But basically, each game is a cup final and even winning all 8 games would probably not be enough.

Lets go win 8 cup finals!!  :D  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rubberman said:

And you know what.  After the last few seasons it's nice to be getting to the sharp end of the season and having a bit of hope (even if it is a tiny, tiny bit) , instead of growing horror.  

So I don't care that the chances of reaching the playoffs are infinitesimally small.  

I don't care that we really aren't ready to go back up.

I don't care that we would almost certainly not get through the playoffs. 

I do love us creeping back up the table and the gap getting smaller.  And until the time when we get beat again, or everyone above us wins a few, I'm going to let that delicate flame of hope flicker away and enjoy it.  Because it's been a while.

Yep me too.  Let's just try and win all of our games now.  We may not.  In fact we probably won't.  But we're capable.  We're gonna be a massive pain in the ass now for everyone else in the run-in.  Teams we play and teams looking over their shoulder, however distant.  We're now more 'expectant' of wins than we've been since O'Neill was in charge.  No-one in this league bothers me now that we've got some momentum going.  If we do somehow get over the 70 mark then we will at least have kept everyone else very honest, and we'll have enjoyed ourselves (finally) as fans and we'll go into the summer in a somewhat strangely optimistic form :)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BOF said:

No-one in this league bothers me now that we've got some momentum going.  

Certainly Norwich shouldn't. We even managed to beat them at VP last season. We mustn't start looking at these fixtures as if they're impossible. 

Norwich(H), QPR(H), Burton(A), Reading(H). On current form, 12 points from these next four games is entirely possible, in fact I think I'd back us to. There's zero pressure on us, let's just keep on winning our games and things could get very interesting.