The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

3 hours ago, dappadan said:

Probably be a couple of wins short but......

In the last 6 games we have gained 15 points and Wednesday have gained 4 points. We could arguably have gained another 3 against Huddersfield. Same happens again and we catch Wednesday with 2 games left 

Yes, but the trouble with that theory is the finishing above Sheffield W would not guarantee playoffs as they'd be well short!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Me too. Been the best since at least the Houllier season, and maybe the one before that for me. 

In a funny way the first Lambert season was o.k apart from that horrific 6 week run starting from that Chelsea game. In a way quite similar to this season.

Can't say I've got much into this season. I always felt it would be a transitional year for us but expecting big things for next year, we're on the right track atm.

5 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

In many ways this season has been among the worst.

Has it heck. We've won 13 games. It's beyond my wildest dreams!

Obviously I'm being a little bit sarcy, but I've had a good time nonetheless. Explain your reasoning?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

In many ways this season has been among the worst.

I know you said among the worst but for me this season gas been x100 better than last year!

Pathetic performances, some loser managers, losers playing for us and a owner who didn't care. Give me this over that any saysay

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I know you said among the worst but for me this season gas been x100 better than last year!

Pathetic performances, some loser managers, losers playing for us and a owner who didn't care. Give me this over that any saysay

Not having to listen to Eric Black do press conferences is a clear sign that this year is not one of the worst. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Tru saysay

• Like 3

I see it as though we are in our own mini league now from 10th - 15th place. I'd like us to finish above Derby. I think Preston and Norwich are too good for us to be able to catch at the moment. If we can finish 10th, I'd be pretty happy with that considering the changes we have made this season. 

7 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Has it heck. We've won 13 games. It's beyond my wildest dreams!

Obviously I'm being a little bit sarcy, but I've had a good time nonetheless. Explain your reasoning?

There's been some utterly embarrassing performances, especially under RDM, against extremely shite opposition, lots of money spent for a top half Championship finish, shit football throughout the season, no promotion - which was of course the goal, absolutely crap IMO. Last season was the very worst but in terms of the last 5 or so years, this for me definitely ranks second. 

At least in Lambert's first two seasons I could enjoy watching a top class player like Benteke, plus we had some memorable results away to Liverpool, Arsenal, really enjoyed the United 2-2 home draw, the home win over City and that Stoke away performance with that goal from Lowton to name a few. Bigger sample I'm drawing from of course but I've not enjoyed a single game this season to level of the one's I listed. Then as diabolical as Lambert's last season was, Sherwood coming in and 'keeping us up' plus the cup run trumps anything I've seen this season. So yes, for me at least, this is the second worst season I've witnessed in recent times. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

There's been some utterly embarrassing performances, especially under RDM, against extremely shite opposition, lots of money spent for a top half Championship finish, shit football throughout the season, no promotion - which was of course the goal, absolutely crap IMO. Last season was the very worst but in terms of the last 5 or so years, this for me definitely ranks second. 

At least in Lambert's first two seasons I could enjoy watching a top class player like Benteke, plus we had some memorable results away to Liverpool, Arsenal, really enjoyed the United 2-2 home draw, the home win over City and that Stoke away performance with that goal from Lowton to name a few. Bigger sample I'm drawing from of course but I've not enjoyed a single game this season to level of the one's I listed. Then as diabolical as Lambert's last season was, Sherwood coming in and 'keeping us up' plus the cup run trumps anything I've seen this season. So yes, for me at least, this is the second worst season I've witnessed in recent times. 

Last season was one of the worst in the entire history of the club.

This season was never going to be best of seasons, although we all dreamt of it during the Summer.

One of the worst seasons of the last 5 years though? Not a chance, Dr Xia coming in, exciting transfer windows, winning games again. The club is undergoing a huge turnaround and this season has been the beginning of it. Next season is the one ;)

• Like 1

I've been looking at the table this morning. If we win our next 2 games (both home), I might just start believing again. It's a shame Fulham and Shef W are both playing Rotherham in their next 2 games though.. but if they lose/draw their other game - we could potentially be 8 points away with 6 games to go. Still a massive ask, but if we keep winning.. you never know.

Basically to do this we need to capitalize on 4 Wednesday losses and hope Fulham or someone else doesn't take their place instead. Huge huge ask. It's not in our hands. We can win every game and it likely won't matter.

8 games to go, 24 points to play for. 75 points has been a play off finishing points haul for the majority of the 21st century. It would be nice but it would require title winning form for the rest of the season.

I think we just might be 8 ugly wins away from sixth spot as long as those teams that are still currently above us get increasingly nervy in the run in. It most likely will not happen but it just might. I had another shot at the predictor as recent results have shown that I had been over generous with the results of other teams and had us ending the season 3 points clear of Fulham and Wednesday! :)

Edited by John

Not a chance of a top 6 finish this season - 8th is however very much within our capability and if we finish 8th having been 22nd when we kicked off under Bruce then it might just quell some of his knockers.

If we were ripping teams apart on this little run of form my optimism of a promotion push may have risen from a 'fat chance' to a slim chance, but we're not. We're scraping out good results from average to poor performances. We're not striding to victories with 3,4 or 5 goals, we're battling better and arguably riding our luck. Over the next eight games that is unlikely to be sustainable so if we win three quarters of them I'd be happy.

Not this season guys, let's just hope we keep the run going in to next season.

Edited by jackbauer24
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Not a chance of a top 6 finish this season - 8th is however very much within our capability and if we finish 8th having been 22nd when we kicked off under Bruce then it might just quell some of his knockers.

Mmm, knockers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jackbauer24 said:

If we were ripping teams apart on this little run of form my optimism of a promotion push may have risen from a 'fat chance' to a slim chance, but we're not. We're scraping out good results from average to poor performances. We're not striding to victories with 3,4 or 5 goals, we're battling better and arguably riding our luck. Over the next eight games that is unlikely to be sustainable so if we win three quarters of them I'd be happy.

Not this season guys, let's just hope we keep the run going in to next season.

3 points are 3 points whether you scrape a win or smash a team 4-0...

For me even if we manage either of these methods we will fall short, I can't see the teams above us having such a drastic drop in form as we require