January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

I wouldn't actively look to sell him but if a ridiculous offer came in the summer then i'd take it. Say, that £25m offer, that we were meant to have tuned down. Xia has already stated that there won't be unlimited funds to keep throwing at players so there will have to be an element of wheeling and dealing and the money could be used to buy 2/3 players (including a replacement)

In the summer would possibly be ok but certainly not right now. I don't think we should really be selling or even loaning out anyone now unless they won't be playing games at all or are completely unwanted. I can think of a few but I would prefer it if we sufficiently strengthened the team first before looking at outgoings too much, not risk putting ourselves in a difficult situation.

Another thing worth considering is, when bids come in, it can demonstrate how valued the player is by the club if they are rejected or the club take, at least the outward, stance that he is not for sale. Loyalty to the player on the club's part may encourage more dedication and loyalty in return. e.g. Would Amavi even want to move to China? How would he feel if we accepted the first bid and showed that we wanted to get rid just for a big fee? So many factors to consider whenever it comes to transfers...

Edited by Jas10
Edit
  • Like 1

If a ridiculous offer came in for any player we should sell because we could easily get good enough players to go up but that just makes things harder. Ayew hasn't done enough for me and could easily be replaced even frowithin the squad. Amavi can't be. Selling him would mean finding a replacement. I also think he can be good enough to be our left back if we meet the Dr's expectations. 

6 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

If a ridiculous offer came in for any player we should sell because we could easily get good enough players to go up but that just makes things harder. Ayew hasn't done enough for me and could easily be replaced even frowithin the squad. Amavi can't be. Selling him would mean finding a replacement. I also think he can be good enough to be our left back if we meet the Dr's expectations. 

I kind of agree, but forwards (particularly those that pose a consistent goal threat) are probably the most difficult players to find and replace. I don't think the Jan window is the right time to try and sell then quickly replace existing first team players, better to just strengthen and enhance the team imo. Better to prepare and construct some kind of plan for the summer window in that sense, much more time and less chaos.

Edited by Jas10
Edit

I get the not wanting to sell good players, but really if an offer comes in that values the player at more than you think he's worth, it would be foolish not to take it.

If you're at McDonalds, and just as you're about to take the first bite of your Big Mac, someone offers you £10 for it, you're going to take it. You're not going to say "Um I dunno. If I take your £10, they might run out of Big Macs before I get to order another one." 

And if they do run out, you could stay hungry and come back tomorrow, safe in the knowledge you got a good deal. Or, instead of a Big Mac, you could order a few quarter pounder with cheeses instead. Or you could head down the road to Burger King with your new tenner and get yourself a couple of XL bacon double cheeses instead.

20 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

linked to Basem Morsy, if that means anything to anyone

He partners Hourihane in midfield at Barnsley I think? Think he only joined in he summer from Wigan or somewhere like that. 

19 minutes ago, Godders said:

I get the not wanting to sell good players, but really if an offer comes in that values the player at more than you think he's worth, it would be foolish not to take it.

If you're at McDonalds, and just as you're about to take the first bite of your Big Mac, someone offers you £10 for it, you're going to take it. You're not going to say "Um I dunno. If I take your £10, they might run out of Big Macs before I get to order another one." 

And if they do run out, you could stay hungry and come back tomorrow, safe in the knowledge you got a good deal. Or, instead of a Big Mac, you could order a few quarter pounder with cheeses instead. Or you could head down the road to Burger King with your new tenner and get yourself a couple of XL bacon double cheeses instead.

Sorry, you've not quite extended that metaphor enough for me to understand. Are you saying that if we sell Ayew we get a cheeseburger? Or two cheeseburgers?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Godders said:

I'm hungry now. 

tumblr_muiq55QvVn1s1clzao1_400.gif

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

-------------- Johnstone --------------

Bree -- Chester -- Baker -- Amavi

------------------Jedinak ---------------

---------Lansbrini -- Hourihane ----

Adomah ----------------------- Brady

----------------- Kodjia ----------------

The thing that stands out most about this potentially brilliant line up; Only one player had any involvement in our shocking 15/16 season. And even he was injured for most of it. 

Negative mentality? Gone. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

-------------- Johnstone --------------

Bree -- Chester -- Baker -- Amavi

------------------Jedinak ---------------

---------Lansbrini -- Hourihane ----

Adomah ----------------------- Brady

----------------- Kodjia ----------------

Bench: Bunn, Bacuna, Elphick, Tshibola, Grealish, Ayew, McCormack

This exactly, and it looks like this is Xia/Bruce's ambition too. This looks sooo much better, that midfield looks a proper handful, and with Grealish and McC as subs what's not to like!

20 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Awful analogy. You can walk into McDonald's and buy a Big Mac at literally any time of day. Christmas day if you like. Negotiating a deal for millions of pounds, often with an unwilling seller, is not even remotely comparable. 

What is it about that people can't grasp? I didn't think it was that complicated a concept. 

Football Manager says Hi.