Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I'd have had Mark Warburton the minute he left Rangers to be honest , I know that's all well and good saying it now but from a personal point of view I really really didn't want Bruce in the first place , would anyone consider Dean Smith by interest ?

Was never much enamored of Bruce's appointment, but could see the reasoning.  With him here I thought the best bet was to stick with him through the summer and pre-season because surely he would have a plan and structure for getting the best out of the squad, even if it was never going to be pretty.  The most depressing thing is to find that he can't.  The players signed make sense and look good on paper, but he doesn't seem to have any idea what to do with them.  If it's true that he doesn't do the day to day coaching, then there is obviously a massive gap between what he is expecting and Calderwood is providing and this disconnect is so clear on match day.

It's completely the opposite of the likes of Pochettino who is renowned for coaching, improving and getting the best out of individuals.  This coaching team is making players worse.  

Get rid of Bruce and his coaches.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I just think we're set up so well for someone to come and be a hero. Great chance for anyone.

We've got a great squad for this league and are still(!) playing with so fear and caution. I think it really is as simple as attack some teams and results and goals will start to come.

We've been holding out for a hero, almost as long as Bonnie Tyler. 

I remember singing 'we've got our Villa back' after Lambert's first home win and thinking, this is it, we are back on the up......

I've always been someone who likes to give managers time and a chance to put things right. I am supportive of every manager that Villa hire.

But we can't see this season slip away like last season.

Its looking unlikely that Bruce can quickly get us into the top 2 and keep us there all season.

I am not willing to wait to see if we scrape in , or  go through lottery of the play-offs. 

If we draw/lose against Reading, Bruce has to be sacked.

I knew we were in big trouble as soon as the fixture list came out. We needed to hit the ground running, and we haven't. There can be no more excuses. A convincing win tomorrow or he's as good as gone. 

With other managers and other teams you can see their ethos, or you can see a particular tactic which plays to their strengths. They set the team up so a centre-forward who is good at knocking on balls will be next to a fast player who runs on to them. Then they'll make sure the centre-backs and midfielders know where the tall player likes it played, while the speedy player will know where to run off. The team is set up around everyone's strengths, based on how effective the manager's choice of style is. It's all pretty basic stuff.

I see none of that with Bruce. It seems to be dumbed down to the level of 'we need more goals, go buy a striker who has scored goals', rather than looking at how that player actually scores those goals and working out if they can be effective with the players we already have and the way we look to play football. If we go direct a lot then playing a single striker who is good at arriving late in the box and relies on a big guy next to him isn't going to do a lot. I don't think Bruce gets that, somehow.

But the stuff that really outs him as being behind the times is the old-fashioned way of making subs at 70 mins no matter what, and bringing players on at 90 mins to protect a draw rather than go for a win. Really infuriating.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, omariqy said:

To know Steve Bruce has not got a clue you just have to look at his signings.

Johnstone - decent keeper nothing more

Bree - a youngster with potential but with little chance of game time under Bruce. Suited to a passing team.

Samba - slow and strong. Experienced but unreliable. Suited to a team that soak up pressure.

Terry - slow but excellent on his day. Maybe past his best. Suited to a team that play possession football.

Taylor - reliable defender not great going forward. Suited to a team that defend well and soak up pressure.

Hourihane - box to box with a wand of a left foot. Suited to a team playing possession football.

Lansbury - ok midfielder that scores goals. Better suited to a counter attacking team.

El Mohamdy - decent crosser and works hard. No tricks. Suited to a team where he can get space on the counter attack to get an early ball in.

Onomah - great potential, crisp passer and busy player. Suited a team that keep the ball and pass well.

Whelan - aging player with years of experience. Suited to a team that soak up pressure and counter attack quickly.

Bjarnasson - Utility player that gets in good positions from midfield in the box. Suited to a team that play a direct style.

Hogan - busy forward with good ability to make runs and get in goalscoring positions. Suited to a team that play through the midfield with a number 10 behind him. 

We have purchased players that all are used to playing in teams that a play a different style to each other, where the strengths are emphasised because of that particular style.  There seems to be no strategy or cohesion to our signings. No forward planning to a way of playing the game or what formation/tactics we will use. It's a classic case of buy good players and hope they work out. 

So as well as a new manager we need a new squad then? One where everyone is selected to suit the same "Playing style"?

Think you can probably dream on .

Edited by briny_ear

4 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

I hear it's not just the fans who have massive doubts. This isn't going to run and run. My sense is that he is very close to the door

Where's this come from? 

4 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

I hear it's not just the fans who have massive doubts. This isn't going to run and run. My sense is that he is very close to the door

Where's this come from? 

yay sounds so positive form bruce

Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce told BBC WM:

"Playing away from home has been our Achilles heel since I arrived and, to be brutally honest, I haven't been able to address it in the six months I've been here.

"I can't address it quickly enough. We've shown flashes of it so far this season, but when we're away from home, we just haven't got enough.

"The one thing that my teams have had over the years to be successful is resilience."

here

Thanks for stating the obvious Bruce 

Edited by Demitri_C

Â