Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I am still getting my head around his interview after the game on Saturday and him saying we may not be ready to play with two strikers. How can that be the case. We are in the Championship. Playing sides that have hardly spent a penny. Bruce has been here 9 months and signed 12 players yet he feels we may not be ready to pay two up top. It is a shocking thing to say really and even though he probably doesn’t realise it a stunning admission that he has failed in his time here.

It also suggests he feels we need to shut up shop. The best from of defence though is attack and the only way will get out of this division is by scoring more goals. We are hardly gung ho as it is and already struggle to score. It is almost certain he will fully focus on the 3 goals we conceded not the fact we didn’t score. You address the fact we conceded by going defensive then the likelihood is there is even less chance we will score. Do the opposite though and be positive and focus on us scoring more goals then by consequence you are likely to be attacking more, putting the other side on the back foot and if we can get a goal or two up it totally changes the game and knocks the stuffing out of the opposition. That more positive approach is probably not in Bruce’s nature though.

I hope he surprises me tomorrow. I hope he does put out an attacking line up. Takes the game to Reading. Gets a real reaction from the players. If last season was about steadying the ship then this season was all about pushing forwards, playing with some confidence and a bit of swagger, going into every game to take 3 points, focused on attacking and putting the opposition on the back foot. If we have gotten to the third game fully focused on not conceding then this season he has already failed and he has to go.

Spot on. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I am still getting my head around his interview after the game on Saturday and him saying we may not be ready to play with two strikers. How can that be the case. We are in the Championship. Playing sides that have hardly spent a penny. Bruce has been here 9 months and signed 12 players yet he feels we may not be ready to pay two up top. It is a shocking thing to say really and even though he probably doesn’t realise it a stunning admission that he has failed in his time here.

It also suggests he feels we need to shut up shop. The best from of defence though is attack and the only way will get out of this division is by scoring more goals. We are hardly gung ho as it is and already struggle to score. It is almost certain he will fully focus on the 3 goals we conceded not the fact we didn’t score. You address the fact we conceded by going defensive then the likelihood is there is even less chance we will score. Do the opposite though and be positive and focus on us scoring more goals then by consequence you are likely to be attacking more, putting the other side on the back foot and if we can get a goal or two up it totally changes the game and knocks the stuffing out of the opposition. That more positive approach is probably not in Bruce’s nature though.

I hope he surprises me tomorrow. I hope he does put out an attacking line up. Takes the game to Reading. Gets a real reaction from the players. If last season was about steadying the ship then this season was all about pushing forwards, playing with some confidence and a bit of swagger, going into every game to take 3 points, focused on attacking and putting the opposition on the back foot. If we have gotten to the third game fully focused on not conceding then this season he has already failed and he has to go.

It wasn't just the two up top comment, he also said we were too open, which is absolute bollocks. 

Reading like to keep the ball and build from the back, all signs point to Bruce having us sit deep and try hit on the counter. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hogan dropped for Gabby through the middle and Green out wide. He'll try and get a result that way imo. If he does it's the final nail for me. 

20 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

i disagree with parts of this...the best form of defence, is defence. its not just the 3 conceded he should focus on, but the 3 or 4 others that cardiff could and should have got. i counted minimum 3 clear cut chances that 1/2 a foot either side of johnstone would have gone in. 6-0 would not have flattered them. yes going forward we were non existent and failed to play to hogan and gabby strengths (which oddly at times we did vs hull) but need to address the shambles of a defence that we saw saturday.

Here's a stat -

MON won 42%, drew 32%, lost 26% of all his games. 

Had Bruce just drawn two games more (rather than losing them) - his stats would be the same as MONs. 

Not that I see anything other than an embarrassing loss to Reading and a P45 edging closer...

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Here's a stat -

Had Bruce just drawn two games more (rather than losing them) - his stats would be the same as MONs. 

Not that I see anything other than an embarrassing loss to Reading and a P45 edging closer...

The problem is, those stats for MON were decent, and good enough for 6th place in the Premier League.

We should be winning the Championship. And Bruce needs to be surpassing those stats to do so.

I haven't totally given up hope that he can do it. But it's last chance saloon for me. Defeat tomorrow night is the end for me.

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Here's a stat -

There is a big difference though in that Mon was manager in the Prem league.

A few talking about selection etc.

But it's always been the combination.

Its not just WHO he selects it's how he sets us up and what his priorities are. That's been clear for a long long time.

His first thought is always about how not to concede, rather than how to score.

The problem isn't that we've conceded three goals 3 or 4 times under him, it's that we NEVER score 3 or 4....and rarely get 2 without help from penalties or own goals.

If you want it in a nutshell, on Saturday if Cardiff were defending a corner they left 2 up. If we were, everyone was back.

So many of his comments are about resilience, character, etc. On the pitch we see players as slow as snails when going forward because their first thought is protecting their backs.

Let the shackles off, accept losing some games 2-3 and winning some 4-3 and encourage expression.

Look at O Hare who, for now, just expresses himself. Look st Ozzy.

Ive waited ages for this simple concept to be adopted by Bruce, he clearly isn't going to do so.

Anyone. ANYONE - who will do so, will get results.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

He also had enough money to have done a lot better than he did. 

He didn't, but that's for another thread. 

Bruce needs to win the next 3 to get us back on 2 points per game. So losing just one of them should result in immediate sacking. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

He didn't, but that's for another thread. 

Bruce needs to win the next 3 to get us back on 2 points per game. So losing just one of them should result in immediate sacking. 

He did, but you're right, it's OT ;)

Agree, he pretty much needs three wins, might get away with 2 and a draw if the preformances are decent. 

Last season he admitted we relied too much on Jedinak and Kodjia and it was clear to see we struggled without them. It's no surprise to see us not win our first two games when he has done nothing to address the problems we had last season.  Whelan might be the answer for Jedinak long term but right now he is still adjusting to life in the Championship with a new set of teammates around him. There was no answer to the lack of creativity we had last season. That is going to come back to haunt him.

• Like 1

If we had MON with this squad we wouldn't be in this postition. Under MON everyone knew our game plan but we had a game plan. I have no idea what Bruce's plan is apart from rush Kodja back and pray on his brilliance. Frustrating that we needed stability and I thought he was the right man. 

The scariest thing for me is that we've had no midfield since Delph left. We've blamed the players (Westwood) we've gone through managers and still we don't have a midfield. Something scary is wrong with the club. Every manager we've had since MON have aged 10 years in months of being manager. Poor hollier nearly died. 

Â