Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I see Bruce is starting o hare in u23 game tonight which surely rules him out of tomorrow's game - pity he doesn't field the likes of Hutton in the reserves to reflect the performance .

i don't think man management is one of his strengths either , in fact I'm not sure what Bruce's strengths are meant to be - maybe the emperor has no clothes . 

4 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

If we had MON with this squad we wouldn't be in this postition. Under MON everyone knew our game plan but we had a game plan. I have no idea what Bruce's plan is apart from rush Kodja back and pray on his brilliance. Frustrating that we needed stability and I thought he was the right man. 

The scariest thing for me is that we've had no midfield since Delph left. We've blamed the players (Westwood) we've gone through managers and still we don't have a midfield. Something scary is wrong with the club. Every manager we've had since MON have aged 10 years in months of being manager. Poor hollier nearly died. 

This again. Nothing wrong with the club. It is simply poor decision making by those in charge lumbering us with managers who are not up to the task.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Genie said:

I'm just wondering how many posters on here have trained under Steve Bruce to come to the opinion his training methods are outdated, obviously in comparison to other top coaches they've played under :wacko:

Well, I haven't, so I should probably not put forward my opinion based on what I see on the pitch.

• Haha 1

Most worrying part for me is under RDM we played some teams off the park with a worse team. Granted we never got victories due to managerial incompetence, but not hard to build a bit of steel around a base

19 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Exactly.

A lot of people didn't like it when some of us accused him of making excuses pre-season re Grealish, but I think very few would still think that criticism wrong.

As I said at the time, look at the comparison between his words and those of Terry.

Bruce is a dead man walking, the only question is how long is the walk.

Hopefully not long at all, after the Bristol game? It would give the new manager a couple of weeks to put his style in to the way we approach games. My only worry is that would be 3 more league games of Bruce tripe.

3 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

This again. Nothing wrong with the club. It is simply poor decision making by those in charge lumbering us with managers who are not up to the task.

This club has much going for it - get the right man in charge and he can quickly turn it around and then watch the juggernaut roll - the prospect of succeeding at Aston villa should have many managers licking their lips - Bruce looks like a frightened rabbit caught in the headlights .

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

So true. 

We've had an owner who was genuinely god awful and we've been lumbered with bad managerial decisions. 

• Like 1

I think there is a culture problem....There is no willingness to work....too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

as soon as we concede the deck chairs come out and as soon as an opposition foot goes in ,we go missing.

I never thought we would be facing a problem like this, this season.

I have no idea, how we cure it, but I think it will undo us, if someone at the club (and it should be the manager) don't address it.

Imo Its been with us for some time now, but I thought new personnel would cure it, not so ,so far.

I would play the kids.....give them their wings.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Barring some absolute hidings, I don't think we should get rid any sooner.

with all due respect

whats worse?

one hiding -> sack

a 1-1 draw, a 1-0 win, 2x 0-1 defeats ->?

Its still no promotion form. The draw & win followed by the 2 "narrow" loses means a new manager has 4 less games to implinent a winning formular (add the 2 games already played meaning 6 games in and we're on 5pts - 7pts to catch up on 2pts/per/game - how long do we give the new guy?)

Thats IF we win a game and draw one. Bruce's way has got 4 defeats written all over them.

Why prolong the agony?

• Like 1

Seen this far too often recently. We know his days are numbered, as does he I suspect. 

Why are we prolonging the inevitable? I can only hope we're seeking out a replacement to allow for a quick change. 

From what I've seen of the doctor, coupled with his tweet after the Hull game, I don't believe he will be patient much longer. Tomorrow could bring about the end. 

Whilst I have generally agreed that the squad is pretty decent, I do feel that we are possibly storing up problems for the future. Without going through the whole squad, we don't have any cover at left back and the centre of defence is looking very short term at least. I believe James Chester is the youngest at 28. Whilst JT is excellent we don't know if he will last all season and the main reason we bought him is to get the dressing room fired up, surely that should largely be the managers job? Samba old and questionable ability now anyway, Elphick poor and going, Richards not a footballer. Central midfield has no creativity and the guy holding it together, Jedi, is 33. The only decent striker we have is currently injured and the possibly decent Hogan is injury prone. We do have some promising youngsters but that's all a bit if, buts and maybes. 

We need to get them firing quickly or lots of them will be past their prime before we know it. 

I have a feeling Steve Bruce has told the powers that be ,that the size of the club and expectation is an albatross around our necks and that we need seasoned and rounded professional who can resist the pressure that succumbs from opposition teams that come to dump us on our ****. that has influenced the transfer strategy.

I think that could be deemed a reasonable shout, if its true.

While I think hindsight is an exact science and that it could work out that this is a falsehood, it beggars the question ,then what is the right approach.

I guess some could say the young and hungry route, players on the way up from the lower divisions....which it seems to me so far that our adversaries have primarily chosen are having some success particularly against us with....but we have tried that too and could you imagine the hue and cry if we signed the likes of Szmodics- Hoillet-Laing & Zohore.....but these are the types of players derailing us or at least giving us a hard time.

Its been said many,many times, its ok having the ability and having proved it elsewhere, but you have to apply it for it to work.....its no good too many players thinking they are the foreman and they don't have to work, its clear they do.

I am not sure, where we go from here.

I think Steve has blown it, if I am honest and I know we will all have our own views how much he is responsible for.....if I was him, I would put the kids in and go down fighting.

Edited by TRO

Football is a strange game. A strange games that hightens emotions and evokes a passion that some people don't appear to be able to control. 

I'm sitting here reading some of these comments (not just this thread) with a slightly puzzled look on my face. "Sack the manager". "He's taking us down". "He plays terrible football". "He's clueless". "We're doooooomed". "I've never liked him". Whilst some of these statements have an element of truth, they are huge exaggerations...or just plain burps of uncontrolled emotion.

The reality is:

1) We're only two games into a brand new season - the first of which we showed some promise. 

2) Steve Bruce has been our manager for only 10 months - in that time we've had good run of results (losing only one in nine) and also a bad run of results (nine games without a win). Inconclusive.

3) The list of managerial candidates who are available to replace Bruce are a depressing list of failed managers or inexperienced punts who may or may not do any better.

I'm not here to say that we should all love Bruce, or that we should stand by him with blind faith, but he IS the current Aston Villa manager and while his record is not exactly amazing, it isn't sacking worthy. Especially when you consider our shocking recent history (pre Bruce) and the and the amount of changes we've already been through.

Will Bruce lead us to promotion? I don't know. None of us know. But what I do know is that changing manager doesn't guarantee us success. In fact it just creates more chaos and confusion and in all likelihood another cycle of moaning about our manager and wishing them to be sacked without really considering the consequences.  

There's a bigger picture here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but if you want Bruce out, realistically, who will take over? How many years will it take for them to build a new team? Do we have the finances to back a new manager? How many more managers will we need to sack? Does a new manager guarantee success? 

We really need some stability. And whether you like Bruce or not, we have stabilised under him so let's give him the opportunity to progress.
Edited by villasteed

2 minutes ago, villasteed said:

Football is a strange game. A strange games that hightens emotions and evokes a passion that some people don't appear to be able to control. 

I'm sitting here reading some of these comments (not just this thread) with a slightly puzzled look on my face. "Sack the manager". "He's taking us down". "He plays terrible football". "He's clueless". "We're doooooomed". "I've never liked him". Whilst some of these statements have an element of truth, they are huge exaggerations...or just plain burps of uncontrolled emotion.

The reality is:

1) We're only two games into a brand new season - the first of which we showed some promise. 

2) Steve Bruce has been our manager for only 10 months - in that time we've had good run of results (losing only one in nine) and also a bad run of results (nine games without a win). Inconclusive.

3) The list of managerial candidates who are available to replace Bruce are a depressing list of failed managers or inexperienced punts who may or may not do any better.

I'm not here to say that we should all love Bruce, or that we should stand by him with blind faith, but he IS the current Aston Villa manager and while his record is not exactly amazing, it isn't sacking worthy. Especially when you consider our shocking recent history (pre Bruce) and the and the amount of changes we've already been through.

Will Bruce lead us to promotion? I don't know. None of us know. But what I do know is that changing manager doesn't guarantee us success. In fact it just creates more chaos and confusion and in all likelihood another cycle of moaning about our manager and wishing them to be sacked without really considering the consequences.  

There's a bigger picture here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but if you want Bruce out, realistically, who will take over? How many years will it take for them to build a new team? Do we have the finances to back a new manager? How many more managers will we need to sack? Does a new manager guarantee success? 

We really need some stability. And whether you like Bruce or not, we have stabilised under him so let's give him the opportunity to progress.

I know it's only one game but Saturday looked far from a stable team. It looked like a club in crisis. 

24 minutes ago, villasteed said:

The reality is:

very sensible post and sentiments I would have written a few weeks ago.....but my mood is becoming more melancholy as games unfold.

However.

Every Manger and team has a dip.....the burning question that tells the tale is......how low do you have to go before it becomes a serious issue.....that was too low...and to me serious.

many felt  and the reports suggested that game could have ended 6/7 -0......furthermore to add to the concerning scenario....the manager didn't know why or he said he didn't know why we played like that.

In any business of any kind if you are a manager and you go to the boardroom defending yourself against poor results.....the suicidal quote is " I don't know why"

Managers are paid to manage and a hug chunk of that is control.....so even if you are having a bad time, you tell the board in a comprehensible and coherent way and create a landscape where failure is a disappointing but feasible event, you may survive.

If the reasons you give are plausible for a return to success you will live to fight another day.

You say to them, you don't know why......you are dead.

Now I don't know what Steve has said behind closed doors, so I can't speculate.....just giving you, my opinion of the options.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Does he even know what the consequences will be for the club should we not go up this season?

He seems so lackadaisical about it all.

If he FEELS he is doing everything he can ,he will look that way.....its a self survival mechanism.

just remember the comments made about players " as long as he is doing everything he can we can't ask anymore"

Managers have to deliver success.....it doesn't really matter whether they are doing their best or not.

Its a results business....thats why they get paid so well.

Â