Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, BOF said:

The writing's on the wall now.  I can't imagine he'd be allowed to continue in this vein.  It's still early, but they'll want some encouragement very soon.  Drawing with Hull on the opening day is fair enough but getting tonked by Cardiff is not.  If we were to lose heavily to Reading tomorrow (which is scarily likely) then the manner of the defeats could be his undoing.  If you're there or thereabouts in matches and playing well enough then you can forgive some short term form-finding losses.  But if you're being blown away then it can't continue.  Our next 4 league games are @ Reading, home to Norwich, @ Bristol City & home to Brentford.  We'd need to be picking up 9pts from those, meaning a total of 10pts from 6 games. At this moment that's not looking likely.  Even though 3 of them have started poorly, I'd say that counts for very little.  If we get to game 6 and we're still languishing at the bottom end and not looking like a winning team then I'd say he's gone at that point.   Barring some absolute hidings, I don't think we should get rid any sooner.

Spot on. Also, those teams will undoubtably pick up the vibe that all's not well at Villa. Their tails will be up. 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Of the course the question remains did Bruce appoint colin calderwood.

It seems very strange that bruce would poach a guy from another club with whom he hasn't worked with before. ......and it all went shite from his appointment...

Did it?

Every game Bruce is given to prove that he can turn this round is one less for the new manager to try and turn us into a team, a team capable of winning enough games to avoid the lottery of the play offs.

He should have gone by now.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I am still getting my head around his interview after the game on Saturday and him saying we may not be ready to play with two strikers. How can that be the case. We are in the Championship. Playing sides that have hardly spent a penny. Bruce has been here 9 months and signed 12 players yet he feels we may not be ready to play two up top. It is a shocking thing to say really and even though he probably doesn’t realise it a stunning admission that he has failed in his time here.

It also suggests he feels we need to shut up shop. The best form of defence though is attack and the only way we will get out of this division is by scoring more goals. We are hardly gung ho as it is and already struggle to score. It is almost certain he will fully focus on the 3 goals we conceded not the fact we didn’t score. You address the fact we conceded by going defensive then the likelihood is there is even less chance we will score. Do the opposite though and be positive and focus on us scoring more goals then by consequence you are likely to be attacking more, putting the other side on the back foot and if we can get a goal or two up it totally changes the game and knocks the stuffing out of the opposition. That more positive approach is probably not in Bruce’s nature though.

I hope he surprises me tomorrow. I hope he does put out an attacking line up. Takes the game to Reading. Gets a real reaction from the players. If last season was about steadying the ship then this season was all about pushing forwards, playing with some confidence and a bit of swagger, going into every game to take 3 points, focused on attacking and putting the opposition on the back foot. If we have gotten to the third game fully focused on not conceding then this season he has already failed and he has to go.

Mark,  as ever a well balanced assesment. But! Bruce has shown us what he can do. however, its what he can't do which is what we need.

No good flogging a dead horse.

get rid asap

Bruce doesn't know if Dr Xia is a patient man

Looks like Bruce is playing it smart.

Sounding out to his chums in the media saying he doesn't know if Dr Tony is a patient man or not.

Basically getting in early before he's sacked trying to make our owner look bad should he get the sack.

He's had enough time we are no better than last season and are still a complete and utter shambles please leave.

Tired of all the excuses.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Sounding out to his chums in the media saying he doesn't know if Dr Tony is a patient man or not.

Basically getting in early before he's sacked trying to make our owner look bad should he get the sack and that he needs more time.

He's had enough time we are no better than last season and are still a complete and utter shambles please leave.

He tried to control the perception of his job the week before the season started. Which gave an indicator of his actual confidence levels regarding promotion. Like Lambert and Sherwood and others I'm sure once he's sacked none of it will be his fault. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Basically getting in early before he's sacked trying to make our owner look bad should he get the sack.

In self preservation mode now.

Can't imagine Xia is too pleased.

So according to that interview he bought Samba, Terry, and Whelan not because he wanted their experience but because he had no money.

Which is it Steve, did you want those guys for what qualities you see in them or are they all you could get ?

I mean it f you wanted a 26 year old CB as you seem to suggest why sell Baker ?

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

"Hopefully we will mount a challenge" - inspiring stuff from Bruce.

Hardly convincing is it? He's boring and that will pass on to the players and shows through in his style of football. We need a change and quick enough to give the new gaffer more time to get a grip of this season.

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

So according to that interview he bought Samba, Terry, and Whelan not because he wanted their experience but because he had no money.

Which is it Steve, did you want those guys for what qualities you see in them or are they all you could get ?

I mean it f you wanted a 26 year old CB as you seem to suggest why sell Baker ?

I said it previously, you can't make the biggest signing the league has ever seen and then complain about being restricted

• Like 3

Winners speak in absolutes if he's not a winner he needs to leave. We can't be having a manager that uses words such as "hopefully" in what needs to be a title winning season. We will mount a challenge and we will win the league and we will do it convincingly is what he should be saying. If this is how Bruce is then no wonder his team talks have no effect. If I was in that dressing room at half-time and the boss was like "we're playing well and you're trying hard, hopefully it'll go our way in the second half" I would shut off and clearly our players are doing the same. We need a leader and a winner, we need someone that speaks in absolutes not some pussyfoot bullshit...

• Like 1

Â