Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

He might also know that after the RDM fiasco - getting the right manager isn't that easy.

Personally I think we should be a bit nasty and wait until someone decent becomes available then make our  move.

Or be even more nasty and make that move for someone decent whether they are officially available or not! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

My biggest concern with Bruce is that he's a reactive manager. Not necessarily the end of the world, there have been managers who have been successful without being hugely proactive, but the issue with this is that he needs to be spot on each time.

Often he's not. Against Hull everyone could see it needed a change, yet Bruce didn't make one until it was too late. 

I agree. But he waits so long to react that he can barely be described as a reactive manager. A major part of his problem, I think.

2 hours ago, Godders said:

Those same bookmakers thought a draw on Saturday was a pretty likely outcome. And they still have us favourites for auto promotion along with Boro (who lost a game they were expected by most to win by the way). 

We're not going to win every game. A draw at home against Hull was not unexpected. 

thats not how bookies work...

i dont think its the draw on paper thats pissed people off, its the nature of it, the play well take the lead not take our chances start the 2nd half like its job done watch the opposition take control make no subs concede a soft goal make some daft subs have a big push during the death of the game, its a rinse and repeat of far too many games

hence why a draw was the likely outcome with the bookies on saturday, everyone can see it coming so thats where they put their money

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mammoth10 said:

Or be even more nasty and make that move for someone decent whether they are officially available or not! 

I would be amazed if the Dr or his advisors don't already have a couple on their radar.

• Like 2

Just now, jim said:

I would be amazed if the Dr or his advisors don't already have a couple on their radar.

We can but hope, I'm not at the point where I feel he should go yet, but this month I think will give a better indication, as and when a decision is required we need to be ruthless for once, using the managerial market of those available is limiting and they are generally available for good reason. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

thats not how bookies work...

i dont think its the draw on paper thats pissed people off, its the nature of it, the play well take the lead not take our chances start the 2nd half like its job done watch the opposition take control make no subs concede a soft goal make some daft subs have a big push during the death of the game, its a rinse and repeat of far too many games

hence why a draw was the likely outcome with the bookies on saturday, everyone can see it coming so thats where they put their money

I'm well aware how bookies work. OP was pointing to the fact that because the bookies have us as favourites for the title, taking less than all 3 points on Saturday wasn't acceptable. I was merely pointing out that the betting public thought a draw was a reasonably likely outcome on Saturday, yet still figure us to be favourites for an automatic spot. 

I get why people are disappointed with a draw. I myself am disappointed with a draw. I disagree to a certain extent though that the nature of the way we played was similar to the gripes people had around last season.

Last year the biggest issue folks had was that we look clueless going forward, and that without Kodja, we couldn't score. Well, on Saturday both Hogan and Gabby found themselves 1 on 1 with the keeper. Hogan had a shot narrowly miss the far post. Lansbury had a couple of decent half chances, Onomah had one where he could have tested the keeper and of course, Green missed the easiest chance he'll probably have all season. 

For me, we looked better going forward on Saturday than we have done for a while. Yes, we need to be finishing those chances regularly to be in the title mix, but that's a completely different issue than one where we're not scoring because we're not creating anything. 

And really, we were the only team that ever looked like winning on Saturday, despite our off period during the second half. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vreitti said:

I'd take the Fulham manager in a heartbeat.

So much so, you didn't refer to him by name. It's OK I don't know his name either....

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jim said:

TBH - I wouldn't

We always think that movement behind the scenes has gone on and another manager has been primed and ready to go. Unless its an internal appointment I don't think anybody at VP has any idea who our next manager might be.

4 hours ago, Spoony said:

It could be that throwing money at the club to rebuild the team wasn't and has never been the answer? In which case that's the Doctor's fault. It didn't work with Garde, it didn't work with Sherwood, it didn't work with Di Matteo and it isn't working with Bruce.

But now we have established a decent squad and a PROVEN manager (multiple times, whether you like it or not), let the person who built it manage it and form it into a winning side without blowing yet another wad of cash. We have the team now, we don't need new players or new managers or new coaches. We need STABILITY. Chopping and changing hasn't worked the last 10 times and it won't work this time. Stick with the manager. Build HIS team and we will get promotion. We need patience. It's alarming how we haven't learnt anything from past mistakes...

Think about your own jobs and bosses. How would your working life be if the people directing you change every 6-12 months? It's the same for the footballers themselves...

Firstly - Garde wasnt allowed to spend a penny on transfers, so I'm not sure how you concluded that he was throwing money in the building of the squad, under Sherwood it was known he wasn't allowed to get the players he wanted - both those were under Lerner so it cant be the doctors fault anyway.

So you think Man U, Man C, Chelsea etc have not got their success by throwing money at it? Leicester really was a one off.

I'm all for stability, if the manager shows he knows what he's doing, the jury has been out on that for a while so I'm not going to list all the reasons again. He is running out of time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Junxs said:

under Sherwood it was known he wasn't allowed to get the players he wanted

He got some of the players he wanted, if reports are to be believed. Gestede, Richards and Lescott....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

I agree. But he waits so long to react that he can barely be described as a reactive manager. A major part of his problem, I think.

This might seriously be his biggest matchday weakness, I genuinely feel his lacklustre subbing has potentially cost us points. 

There are times when a player has obviously needed to come off, or we needed an injection of some sort, and he has waited until the other teams scored to even begin making movement.

For instance, bringing on Green for Bacuna 15 minutes earlier may have changed the dynamic of the game. (Just an example)

3 minutes ago, weedman said:

The only problem with the subs on Saturday was they were made too late, taking Hogan off clearly isn't a popular decision, after all he's scored 1 goal for us so was all but guaranteed to score another, but those subs did change the game, we retook control of the game again and went back to creating good chances. In the 90th minute chasing a goal you don't need to be a tactical genius, throwing a big man on to hit and get the ball forward quickly is a tactic employed by just about every manager (excluding Pep) at some point, it's just about the only reason Fellani has played so many games for Man Utd,  it's not the sackable offence some seem to think it is.

And will everyone please stop claiming Bruce took Hogan off for Samba when chasing the game?! There's enough to criticise him for without just making stuff up. His first subs worked as they changed the game, relieved all the pressure on us and we retook control, had Green put his very straightforward chance away Samba would not have been brought on at all

Like everyone I was disappointed with a draw yesterday, we should have won, apart from 2 mins before half time, and 20 mins of the 2nd half we were in control, I still have faith Bruce can get us promoted this season (although I agree if we don't improve soon Xia will have a decision to make) 

well said! pretty much how I feel about the whole game. we really were the better team for the majority of the game and no matter how much you dislike Bruce, it's NEVER his fault that Green missed an open goal and that a few other clear cut chances didn't kiss the back of the net. Seriously...

Any other day we would have won that 3-1 at least. let's not go into full panic mode after the first game of the season. that isn't to say that my patience with Brucey isn't wearing thin. it's time for him to step up now.

I think I'll wait until 7 or 8 games to pass judgement - rightly or wrongly.

But IF we do decide to pull the trigger, we should replace with a 'coach' manager. Someone who can actually get onto the training pitch and coach tactics. (Not saying Bruce doesn't do this, but I don't think it's one of his best attributes. He doesn't seem like a progressive 'coach') 

Silva from Hull springs to mind - not involved with transfers at Watford, but is more of a coach. (No, I'm not saying we could get him) 

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The irony of course being that if Green has scored the open goal we'd have all been lauding Bruce for making the right subs.

Fine margins.

You're right it's fine margins. He definitely made a good decision bringing Green on. shame it wasn't 10 mins earlier. Or 70 ;)

Edited by VILLAMARV

Â