Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

See, I think this is completely and utterly wrong. Sorry.

The fans aren't the issue at this club and they are by and large no different to the fans at any club. The notion that one set of football fans are any better or worse than another is frankly cobblers, as demonstrated by the actions of United and Liverpool fans when they had something to grumble about and they wanted a change of boss. The only difference between sets of fans is their experience, the reactions are much the same.

I don't think our expections or impatience are off the scale, far from it in fact. I certainly don't think people think we've a right to anything.

I also don't think people are expecting us to swash buckle our way to the title winning 6-0 and strolling around the park every week, let alone demanding it.

Most of the complaints about Bruce's football aren't about entertainment, they are about effectiveness. Mine certainly are.

In his time here he hasn't won enough games, in part because of his tactics. I couldn't careless about 'sexy football' ( I detest that phrase), I want to see winning football and most fans are the same. Once you have consistent winning football you want a little more. RIght now we don't have good football and we don't have winning football, the later is the more important and pressing issue.

Well let's see how the next few games pan out and all that jazz 

8 hours ago, Junxs said:

Trouble is people seem to forget that this is the most expensively assembled squad in the championship/tier 2 history with the largest wage bill. So when the manager comes out moaning about FFP and an injury to a player he used sparingly last season.. you start to think if he is up to the task.

Yes Hull were in the premier league last season, but they've lost most their best players, got a new manager in, spent hardly anything but still gave us a game.

Bruce really needs to get his arse in gear, he has to stop restricting his players. Every time we take the lead he gets them to defend rather than go for the killer blow. Sadly I don't think he will ever change this mentality and is running out of time.

Looks like the Doctor is running out of patience too with his tweets.

It could be that throwing money at the club to rebuild the team wasn't and has never been the answer? In which case that's the Doctor's fault. It didn't work with Garde, it didn't work with Sherwood, it didn't work with Di Matteo and it isn't working with Bruce.

But now we have established a decent squad and a PROVEN manager (multiple times, whether you like it or not), let the person who built it manage it and form it into a winning side without blowing yet another wad of cash. We have the team now, we don't need new players or new managers or new coaches. We need STABILITY. Chopping and changing hasn't worked the last 10 times and it won't work this time. Stick with the manager. Build HIS team and we will get promotion. We need patience. It's alarming how we haven't learnt anything from past mistakes...

Think about your own jobs and bosses. How would your working life be if the people directing you change every 6-12 months? It's the same for the footballers themselves...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

We are favourites for promotion by major bookmakers, not just fans who expect us to win every game

Wrong attitude to think we should be happy with draws at home

So you expect us to win every game?

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think i explained in my previous post so no need to go over this again.

Wont be last time we see samba up top juding from bruces comments.

I think Samba up top is not a bad tactic, it puts a bit of added fear amongst the defenders, Samba is good with his head, saw that in pre-season, there's goals in Samba, why not utilise it. 

6 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I think Samba up top is not a bad tactic, it puts a bit of added fear amongst the defenders, Samba is good with his head, saw that in pre-season, there's goals in Samba, why not utilise it. 

Sure why not, but for the umpteenth time, you don't take off your forwards or midfielders when chasing the winner. That was the criticism.

• Like 2

What was that saying ? "if you put an infinite number of monkeys in a room with a typewriter (remember those), one day they will write the complete works of Shakespeare".

So in a similar way, if Villa keep buying new players and playing them in different positions and in different combinations of players, one day we will end up with a team that can play football for 90 minutes.

Regards to all

Del

9 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Sure why not, but for the umpteenth time, you don't take off your forwards or midfielders when chasing the winner. That was the criticism.

But surely they came off cos their energy levels had dropped and might be a little gassed? 

Just now, Tommo_b said:

But surely they came off cos their energy levels had dropped and might be a little gassed? 

Well it's impossible to say for certain, but imho Hogan didn't look lethargic at all. 

Bruce could've taken off any one of the defenders, but he chose not to, because he's more scared of losing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

Well it's impossible to say for certain, but imho Hogan didn't look lethargic at all. 

Bruce could've taken off any one of the defenders, but he chose not to, because he's more scared of losing.

Imagine the backlash if we had lost!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think i explained in my previous post so no need to go over this again.

Wont be last time we see samba up top juding from bruces comments.

Well no, you didn't explain it.

You said all the subs were bizarre. I explained that I thought 2 of the subs were perfectly fine (but too late) and the Samba sub was a bit weird but I could see what he was trying.

You then laughed at me because I said they weren't bizarre but ONE was a bit strange.

I don't see why that's funny?

32 minutes ago, Spoony said:

It could be that throwing money at the club to rebuild the team wasn't and has never been the answer? In which case that's the Doctor's fault. It didn't work with Garde, it didn't work with Sherwood, it didn't work with Di Matteo and it isn't working with Bruce.

But now we have established a decent squad and a PROVEN manager (multiple times, whether you like it or not), let the person who built it manage it and form it into a winning side without blowing yet another wad of cash. We have the team now, we don't need new players or new managers or new coaches. We need STABILITY. Chopping and changing hasn't worked the last 10 times and it won't work this time. Stick with the manager. Build HIS team and we will get promotion. We need patience. It's alarming how we haven't learnt anything from past mistakes...

Think about your own jobs and bosses. How would your working life be if the people directing you change every 6-12 months? It's the same for the footballers themselves...

Its is also alarming how the manager has not learned from past mistakes, and despite having 40+ games, 11 months, 2 transfer windows, a team of his own players (some of whom he refuses to play and puts Bacuna on instead), a full pre season (all he needed apparently). We STILL play like the day he arrived, we STILL cannot hols a lead and look convincing, we STILL do not make timely substitutions and it does not look like it is improving. 

In my job, if the people directing me did not look like they knew what they were doing, or were ineffective, or were not meeting targets, or were telling us to do wrong things, they WOULD be gone after 6-12 months - and do you know what - a change in manager would not make me forget how to do the basics of my job.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 2

Bruce has had these goalscoring problems at many of the clubs he has managed - he often wasn't able to sort it - even with a large transfer kitty. The chances of him sorting it with only nominal funds and 3 weeks to do it - well the odds would appear to be against that. That isn't to say its the end of the road for SB - We are just totally reliant on JK for the bulk of our goals - so he has to hit the ground running and be better than last year.

I was a big fan of his appointment - But I have to concede he his talking a good game - but then doing the same things week in week out. Can't believe a team short of goals last season has invested in defensive players and not a striker.

Worryingly I don't see a replacement out there who could do better. I fear if/when bruce goes the clamour for a 'progressive' continental manager will prove too much and we will unveil Remi Garde MKii - he'll be crap but make grand speeches about changing the ethos and culture of the club while we sit 5th from bottom in the championship. 

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well no, you didn't explain it.

You said all the subs were bizarre. I explained that I thought 2 of the subs were perfectly fine (but too late) and the Samba sub was a bit weird but I could see what he was trying.

You then laughed at me because I said they weren't bizarre but ONE was a bit strange.

I don't see why that's funny?

Wow stop over thinking things 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

We are favourites for promotion by major bookmakers, not just fans who expect us to win every game

Wrong attitude to think we should be happy with draws at home

Those same bookmakers thought a draw on Saturday was a pretty likely outcome. And they still have us favourites for auto promotion along with Boro (who lost a game they were expected by most to win by the way). 

We're not going to win every game. A draw at home against Hull was not unexpected. 

7 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

The thing that annoyed me about Saturday was the formation. We'd beeen playing 4-4-1-1, or 4-4-2 all pre season and he reverts back to the 4-3-3 formation that we were average with all last season!! 

I have to disagree. 

I said it in the Lansbury thread, IMO Lansbury was clearly playing in the advanced role. I think we did play 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 both very similar formations. 

4 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

The thing that annoyed me about Saturday was the formation. We'd beeen playing 4-4-1-1, or 4-4-2 all pre season and he reverts back to the 4-3-3 formation that we were average with all last season!! 

He likely did that because Onomah hadn't had enough time to train with the rest of the team.

I personally think by Saturday we'll be playing 4-4-1-1 and Gabby may unfortunately be rewarded for his goal with a place on the subs bench.

In a 4-4-1-1 I truly believe Green suits it more as a creative outlet and Onomah will come in as a Number 10 with Lansbury falling back next to Whelan.

I'll likely be wrong though cause Bruce comes up with any formation the night before the game, but it's how I'd play it and it's how we pressurised and dominated many teams in pre-season. 

Â