Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I wish Remi had stayed longer, sacking him and having Black in charge did nobody any favours, especially with certain foreign players getting dumped completely.  If Garde had got more of his back room staff in with Tony's money he could have built a team.  I guess this talk of preferring certain managers from our recent shitty past show how depressing we are as a club right now.

#Bring Remi back.

1 minute ago, Junxs said:

Trouble is people seem to forget that this is the most expensively assembled squad in the championship/tier 2 history with the largest wage bill. So when the manager comes out moaning about FFP and an injury to a player he used sparingly last season.. you start to think if he is up to the task.

Bruce hasn't forgotten, with the sale of Amavi he'll have made Tony 20 mill back. He hasn't assembled an expensive squad, he's done the opposite AND improved it, yet still gets flack. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

If there was one guy who never got any backing who could have moved us on it was probably Remi. 

I agree with a lot of your posts but I can't agree with this. The guy was a complete disaster. We had more fight under Sherwood! 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

This won't play well on a fan forum, but I almost typed that the problem is the fans. The levels of expectation and impatience are off the scale. It sucks being sh*te, when Villa is used to better, but the divine right that we should be better is BS. We earn the right to be in the premier league and we earn the right to win the championship. If that means we play cr*p football and bludgeon our way up then so be it. Who wouldn't want sexy football and a 'philosophy' but right now we are absolute beggars and should humbly take with both hands any which way we can of getting promoted. F*ck ideals. 

Disagree totally with this. As fans we have put up with an awful lot of shit and our expectations are, in my opinion, very low.

Problem is - Bruce has not even achieved that level of expectation.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

Disagree totally with this. As fans we have put up with an awful lot of shit and our expectations are, in my opinion, very low.

Just not true, we all expected Bruce to get 3 points on Saturday, we expect promotion. This ain't a bad thing, but expectation is crippling, we are a big club in a small league, but while the likes of huddersfield are all united and well behind their overachieving team, us lot are well narky and rarely giving unconditional support to our team because we expect to be a million miles from where we are. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Bruce hasn't forgotten, with the sale of Amavi he'll have made Tony 20 mill back. He hasn't assembled an expensive squad, he's done the opposite AND improved it, yet still gets flack. 

I didn't say HE assembled it, but he did inherit it and spend even more on it. Any manager in the championship would have loved these kind of funds and squad to work with, and certainly would love to be able to spend funds to get the type of players Bruce has brought in.

Personally I dont think he has improved the squad overall, he's improved an area that was fine (5th best in the league last year) and largely ignored the creativity.. so much so that he still starts with Bacuna.

What sale of Amavi? I'm confident the wages being paid out to the new players, although the fees arent as much, leaves us paying much more than we were end of last year.

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not really sure what the y'know means but if the last 6 managers at the club are the problem I think we have to look further than the managers. 

Sorry, VLV. Just a little jocular add-on - doesn't really mean anything. Apologies if you felt it did.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I hope you are right and I will be very pleased to be wrong.

Yeah me too, I'm a filthy optimist and that's after the crap of the last 6 years. Most likely still wrong, which will be gutting, might have to give up and hand saturdays back to the wife..... NEVER!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Isn't there a transfer committee? I don't think Bruce is solely responsible for these deals. I seriously doubt he was in deep negotiations with teams to ensure the best price for Veretout. 

In terms of an expensive squad, he's signed probably the highest paid player in league history. He also has his January signings sitting on the bench while Bacuna and Hutton continue to play. And still complains about having his hands tied. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jareth said:

Just not true, we all expected Bruce to get 3 points on Saturday, we expect promotion. This ain't a bad thing, but expectation is crippling, we are a big club in a small league, but while the likes of huddersfield are all united and well behind their overachieving team, us lot are well narky and rarely giving unconditional support to our team because we expect to be a million miles from where we are. 

We are favourites for promotion by major bookmakers, not just fans who expect us to win every game

Wrong attitude to think we should be happy with draws at home

• Like 2

23 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Taking off your striker who probably is short of confidence already but had looked close to scoring at times whilst the score was 1-1 for Chris Samba upfront was a very poor sub. As said above if he desperately wanted to play Samba there why not take off a defensive player. Take off Hutton drop Elmo further back in a wing back role if you have to for example. It sends the wrong message.

If you're going to have a pop at Bruce at least try properly. At least watch the game. Actual facts help your argument. Hogan didn't come off for samba.

22 hours ago, sonic_bouma said:

That substituition extinguished any remaining confidence Hogan has.

like others have said there were other options available to him.

Very poor sub.

Repeating myself, you can have some too.....If you're going to have a pop at Bruce at least try properly. At least watch the game. Actual facts help your argument. Hogan didn't come off for samba.

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Why is that funny? There were 3 subs. Two of them were fine and one was a bit weird. 

I wouldn't summarise that as all of them are bizarre. 

I think i explained in my previous post so no need to go over this again.

Wont be last time we see samba up top juding from bruces comments.

Â