Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

29 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Put the fork down and come quietly. 

Explain why we were singing his name at Carrow  road whilst he was still their manager - Lambert failed I acknowledge this - however the team he built at Norwich was very exciting.

Learner told him to put the hand brake on - unfortunately and possibly due to naivety he shoved it into reverse 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

As for your last line, that the problem isn't managers. Well it isn't the fans..

This won't play well on a fan forum, but I almost typed that the problem is the fans. The levels of expectation and impatience are off the scale. It sucks being sh*te, when Villa is used to better, but the divine right that we should be better is BS. We earn the right to be in the premier league and we earn the right to win the championship. If that means we play cr*p football and bludgeon our way up then so be it. Who wouldn't want sexy football and a 'philosophy' but right now we are absolute beggars and should humbly take with both hands any which way we can of getting promoted. F*ck ideals. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Explain why we were singing his name at Carrow  road whilst he was still their manager - Lambert failed I acknowledge this - however the team he built at Norwich was very exciting.

Learner told him to put the hand brake on - unfortunately and possibly due to naivety he shoved it into reverse 

We go again. 

If I was in charge I would've gotten rid during the summer. I probably still would now. I thought Bruce would wait until 68 mins to make a sub no matter what but I was wrong - it was 69 mins. Then the bizarre changes when we're chasing a win at the end and every second is precious he makes subs then which kills the game.

I know he's got a great promotion record and he hasn't had much of a chance here but with the players we had last season and this season we shouldn't be struggling so much in every game.

To me, as a non-expert, the stuff that's wrong seems so simple. So perhaps I'm missing something. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dave J said:

Sorry ??

Just reliving the most immediate memory of this manager. Yes his name was sung, and yes he should have done better, yes also that Lerner screwed him. I still wouldn't want him in charge now, living off his champions league win at a german club etc etc etc etc.

Just now, Jareth said:

Just reliving the most immediate memory of this manager. Yes his name was sung, and yes he should have done better, yes also that Lerner screwed him. I still wouldn't want him in charge now, living off his champions league win at a german club etc etc etc etc.

He was desperately trying to keep some positivity at the club.

He was a very progressive manager having learned under O'Neill then Klopp. Unfortunately we ruined him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Well precisely if Learner had not screwed him over - maybe we'd still be in the Prem ?

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I love how you say in your first paragrpah they were not bizarre but then in 2nd you say samba one was wierd :lol:

It was completely disjointed. Onomah was getting forward, gabby was dropping back and samba was stood in same spot hoping the ball could come to himas he couldnt move very quickly.

It was a bizarre mess of tactics from bruce

Why is that funny? There were 3 subs. Two of them were fine and one was a bit weird. 

I wouldn't summarise that as all of them are bizarre. 

11 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Sorry but that is nonsense.

Your premise was that if we had scored as a result of the Samba change that everyone would be praising Bruce, as if the result is the only issue people have. My point is that had we won, then although people would have been happy I think people would still have had questions about elements of the performance, selection and tactics.

Had we won, I think people would still have thought our second half performance was once again poor. I think people would still have thought the selection of Bacuna was a best odd given its about 3 years since he last had a good game, I think people would still have questioned why we are so bloody ineffective in the second half of games.

So had the tactic worked, yes he would have got credit for it and yes people would have been pleased with the result .

I don't think it would have been universal praise for Brue though.

Bruce may never win over certain fans, but that isn't to say he couldn't. I don't think there is a Villa fan alive that wouldn't want him to get us promoted, that wouldn't like to see him have a great season.

As for your last line, that the problem isn't managers. Well it isn't the fans and the players were all signed by one failed manager or another.

The problem in my view is a succession of poor managerial appointments and their failed transfer activity.

Right or wrong I'm trying to look at things as a new season and as far as first games go I honestly don't think it was the worst in the world.  I agree there isn't a villa fan alive that wouldn't want Bruce to get us promotion but I've even seen a post saying he should be sacked if we go up via playoffs so certain fans have indeed made their mind up about him.

If he was sacked tomorrow I honestly wouldn't care as I'm not a fan of Bruce. I just don't think one game is enough to judge him on and even then I don't think it was that bad. I actually thought Bacuna played ok first half too. I'm taking last season as the transition phase so trying not to judge Bruce on that. 5 games and still think it's a mess then fair enough. I'll agree with your stance.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Right or wrong I'm trying to look at things as a new season and as far as first games go I honestly don't think it was the worst in the world.  I agree there isn't a villa fan alive that wouldn't want Bruce to get us promotion but I've even seen a post saying he should be sacked if we go up via playoffs so certain fans have indeed made their mind up about him.

If he was sacked tomorrow I honestly wouldn't care as I'm not a fan of Bruce. I just don't think one game is enough to judge him on and even then I don't think it was that bad. I actually thought Bacuna played ok first half too. I'm taking last season as the transition phase so trying not to judge Bruce on that. 5 games and still think it's a mess then fair enough. I'll agree with your stance.

Oh come on. People aren't judging him on one game are they, you know that so why even type it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Oh come on. People aren't judging him on one game are they, you know that so why even type it.

I know they are not but I'm trying to. So why attack me for that?

please show me where I said fans were judging him on one game?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

5 games and still think it's a mess then fair enough. I'll agree with your stance.

5 games comes along quite fast now doesn't it? It was said all he needs is a preseason, but it doesn't really seem much has changed from last season. Do you honestly think he'll be able to in a month or so suddenly turn it around? I don't.

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

5 games comes along quite fast now doesn't it? It was said all he needs is a preseason, but it doesn't really seem much has changed from last season. Do you honestly think he'll be able to in a month or so suddenly turn it around? I don't.

I think we will win games as we should have yesterday.

I know they are not but I'm trying to. So why attack me for that?

Sigh.

I've not attacked you.

You wrote "I don't think one game is enough to judge him on". Those are your words, which are suggesting that people are being hasty judging him on one game. Which I pointed out is not correct.

Now you are saying you are trying to judge him on one game. Sorry but you aren't making any sense.

Trent you're clearly getting irate with the debate as you've branded a post as nonsense and then questioned why I would even say something in another post. As you're a mod and I'd prefer not to get banned let's agree to disagree :)

Not irate in the slightest actually, just find the straw man arguments ridiculous to be honest. But happy to agree to disagree, but just for the record people don't get banned for disagreeing.

But I'll take the opportunity to remind you to stay off poster and commenting on moderation ;)

• Like 1

Â