Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Oh good, another season of Bruce In and Bruce Out debate - this time turning on not whether he will get us promotion with the amazing resources he has, but on whether he will keep us up with the limited resources he will have. Can't wait.

Shoot me now.

29 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Think we would be lucky to still have him here come August. We are hardly going to be an attractive opportunity now are we! 

Surely he will not be the manager for the sort of job we will need now?

What is required is the very opposite of of his capabilities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dappadan said:

Is it just me that thinks the best thing we could do is keep Bruce for a bit of stability at the club right now? 

I wouldn't say it was "the best thing we could do"

But certainly if we are so financially screwed that Promotion is essentially off the table next season, then I hinted earlier in the thread that Bruce becomes much more of a safe pair of hands and a more attractive proposition than he was a week or two ago.

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

judging by the current situation seems to be at the club I would say that keeping Bruce would be a victory in a sea of shit.

Not for me. He failed with (one of) the best resources in the league - I have little confidence he can work with a lesser squad.

If there are to be sweeping changes at Villa as a result (new CEO, new owner?) may as well scrap the lot and start fresh.

• Like 3

The notion that Bruce is a "safe pair of hands" or whatever, is absolute nonsense. At the end of the day, all that matters is what happens on matchday, and if Bruce is retained, we can expect more of the same turgid crap, only with lesser resources than before.

If he couldn't get us up with resources no other team in the history of this league could ever even dream of, please tell me how in the hell is he going to do it now?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, vreitti said:

The notion that Bruce is a "safe pair of hands" or whatever, is absolute nonsense. At the end of the day, all that matters is what happens on matchday, and if Bruce is retained, we can expect more of the same turgid crap, only with lesser resources than before.

If he couldn't get us up with resources no other team in the history of this league could ever even dream of, please tell me how in the hell is he going to do it now?

Nobody is suggesting he will get us promoted. We are talking about him keeping us in the league. 

Either way I agree I want him gone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can't help but wonder what Bruce's take on our finances were prior to the play-off final. I mean, if he knew of the importance of our debt surely he has to go for it and not play that defensive shite we saw in the first half. Or, was it the fact that he was so scared of failure that he was too afraid to lose and then, once we went a goal behind, had no choice but to go for it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villarocker said:

Or, was it the fact that he was so scared of failure that he was too afraid to lose and then, once we went a goal behind, had no choice but to go for it?

This has been the case for day one, and every day since. Please get rid.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

judging by the current situation seems to be at the club I would say that keeping Bruce would be a victory in a sea of shit.

It would be a victory for Bruce, that's about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure I have much of an opinion either way at the mo - see where things fall.  

On the one hand, who on earth is going to come in with the current situation - knowing they have to sell everyone with a glimmer of talent or experience and won't have a penny to spend for the foreseeable?  Whoever it is will be high risk.  Bruce got us to the brink and has got a real team spirit in the side that was so broken.

On the other hand, he did fail.  We were set up too conservatively in too many games and the plan B - play all the strikers - was a massive failure every time.  He has already not shown much confidence in the kids (Davis apart) so they are unlikely to be as into him as all the players that leave.

As many posters are suggesting that staying up is the aim for next season, surely this is a perfect time to find a promising manager that is at the start of his career. He would be joining us when expectations are seriously lowered and he and the club would have time to grow together. 

Then promotion and an FA Cup win, followed by winning the PL, then going on to be European Champions and inevitable world domination. Sorry I slipped into Xia Talk for a moment there!

I was being serious in the first paragraph 

• Like 4

I'm of the opinion that if Aston Villa football club fell in a bucket of tits right now, it'd come out sucking it's own thumb. 

Unfortunately, I think if Bruce stays in our current predicament it would be considered a bit of a coup, what a sorry **** state of affairs.

Â