Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's not like the results had anything to do with anything, so I get what you mean.?

We lost 1-0 in a play off final. Was bruce on the pitch?

Was it bruce who was giving players like McCormack stupid wages on long term contracts? Or Richards?

Come on guys absolute nonsense to blame bruce for this its all at xia round and that oaf wyness 

Edited by Demitri_C

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We lost 1-0 in a play off final. Was bruce on the pitch?

Was it bruce who was giving players like McCormack stupid wages on long term contracts? Or Richards?

Come on guys absolute nonsense to blame bruce for this its all at xia round and that oaf wyness 

“Was Bruce on the pitch”, what a terrible argument. Bruce spent 22m in January 17 on his signings. Only one of which started that play off final, worth about 3m. So that’s 22m he wasted on players who he now clearly deems not good enough and for that same reason we can’t get rid of. If he wasn’t as incompetent at one, choosing players for his system and, two playing a style to win games we would be out of this league. So you are right, Keith and Xia are to blame, but Bruce very much has to share that burden. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tony said:

“Was Bruce on the pitch”, what a terrible argument. Bruce spent 22m in January 17 on his signings. Only one of which started that play off final, worth about 3m. So that’s 22m he wasted on players who he now clearly deems not good enough and for that same reason we can’t get rid of. If he wasn’t as incompetent at one, choosing players for his system and, two playing a style to win games we would be out of this league. So you are right, Keith and Xia are to blame, but Bruce very much has to share that burden. 

All a manager needs to know is whether the club can afford to buy a player. Tony would have told him how much there was to spend so he spent it. Was bruce expected to say....hang on tone, where you getting the money from?

If all this blows up and we're down to the bare bones next season then bruce is exactly the right man to get a tune out of it all. I would argue he would have got us to the same place this season on less than half the money spent. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

All a manager needs to know is whether the club can afford to buy a player. Tony would have told him how much there was to spend so he spent it. Was bruce expected to say....hang on tone, where you getting the money from?

If all this blows up and we're down to the bare bones next season then bruce is exactly the right man to get a tune out of it all. I would argue he would have got us to the same place this season on less than half the money spent. 

Where does this preconception come from that Bruce is good at running a club with little money? He has always spent money at every club he's been at. Even this season he has bemoaned our injury problems when we have had (in theory) superior strength in depth to virtually any other team in the league. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Tony said:

What a even worse argument you have made.

Johnstone terry Elmo hourihane grabban snodgrass all started that game and all are bruce signings so god knows where you came up with that?

Bruce is to blame for results on the pitch the finances are to blame for the clowns in tbe boardroon

I think it is undeniable that Bruce's managerial style had a huge part to play in putting us in the position we now find ourselves.

I am surprised he is still hanging around. Considering the massive failure he has been, he should have resigned immediately after the POF defeat.

That would have been the proper thing to do.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I think it is undeniable that Bruce's managerial style had a huge part to play in putting us in the position we now find ourselves.

I am surprised he is still hanging around. Considering the massive failure he has been, he should have resigned immediately after the POF defeat.

I think he will do as soon as he is aware of the real financial position . 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

While I think the blame must land at Tony and Wyness' feet,  a more astute manager might've had the thought, I'll spend what I need and no more, save the rest for a rainy day. Instead he's spent an astronomical amount on players he didn't even utilise.

On you're second point, you're right, he could have done it on half of what he spent, half of what he spent sat on the bench.

I backed him all season. After the loss to Cardiff, you name it, I backed him to get it right. I was even open to the idea of him having a season in the PL. He'd guided Sunderland to 10th, won promotions, hell after the rut we've had maybe he was the right man to stabilise us. For a few seasons. Maybe new club with what was afforded him might show us something we hadn't seen before.

I don't hold it against him, but he just doesn't have enough going for him to take us forward, I'm afraid.

Credit to him for a fairly successful campaign in comparison to where we were at, but that's the best I have to say about him. Other than I like the guy and wish him all the best,

The consequences of our plight do not fall on his shoulders, the football does though, and I'd be very surprised to see us inspired to anything worthy of celebration again under Bruce, I think he had an opportunity to show us what he was about and came up lacking, and not just because we missed out on promotion, for a number of reasons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Surely he'll walk.  Any sane person would.

His comment ‘if I get my way Hutton will get a new contract ‘ suggests he was unaware of how much  debt we are in - If we are going with the young player route  next season  I’d have more faith in K,Mac than in Bruce to get the best from them .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

No manager in the world would have done that. But sure.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I see the baby boomers have already started waxing lyrical about Doug Ellis. 

Off. 

Exactly this. Ellis screwed us more than xia and learner combined. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No manager in the world would have done that. But sure.

I was just suggesting it was the proper thing to do.

But there are are few managers with any class - if I think of any, I will let you know. :D

Doesn't really exist in the world of sport anymore.

Look at the Aussie cricketers, happy to admit they will go on sledging - that's not cricket. 

I realise I am an old fart, and happy to be one.

Not an attack on Australians, by the way, I have an Australian son-in law. A wonderful guy whose only flaw is being a Liverpool supporter.

Anyway - back on topic - Bruce out.

• Like 1

Â