Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, vreitti said:

This. Utterly ridiculous if Bruce is allowed to keep his job. He is most culpable in all of this.

With a new manager we'd at least have a chance of seeing something resembling football at Villa Park. 

No it isn't. It's round wyness and xia. I know some people don't like bruce but blaming him for our troubles is be young ridiculous

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

No it isn't. It's round wyness and xia. I know some people don't like bruce but blaming him for our troubles is be young ridiculous

He did fail though, which seems to have caused this now. Not his fault the clubs a mess, but his failure will play a part in the long term damage of the club

Edited by DCJonah

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think the Bruce business has decended in to a side issue.....I think its more to do with, whether he wants to stay.

by the way, are we expecting to see Green grass when we return or Brown and an abandoned JCB

I might get slaughtered for saying this but, right now, I'd rather take the tight-pursed days of Deadly Doug. 

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It's not like the results had anything to do with anything, so I get what you mean.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I might get slaughtered for saying this but, right now, I'd rather take the tight-pursed days of Deadly Doug. 

Let's put it like this - I'd put my last 50p that we would not be in this pickle if old Deadly had been around.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Let's put it like this - I'd put my last 50p that we would not be in this pickle if old Deadly had been around.

Agreed, would much rather be moaning about smokescreen signings "We almost signed Pele" to this. lol

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I think the Bruce business has decended in to a side issue.....I think its more to do with, whether he wants to stay.

by the way, are we expecting to see Green grass when we return or Brown and an abandoned JCB

I would fully expect the JCB to be part of the fire sale.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

He did fail though, which seems to have caused this now. Not his fault the clubs a mess, but his failure will play a part in the long term damage of the club

He was two goals short of promotion in a 49 game season.

His failure will mean we don't play our football in the Premier League next season. A pretty big disappointment given what was afforded him.

That said, unless Xia had some genius plan, with deals lined up and a complete change in direction to be implemented, I'm guessing it's safe to say Bruce is not responsible for the predicament we face now, or the fact that his superior was choosing to gamble on knifes edge.

Had Bruce got us promoted, many would not of even credit him or praise him for his efforts. It was simply an expectation he needed to fulfill.

So on that point, I think it unfair that Bruce be accused of being culpable in decisions that were beyond him. If we are talking about fulfilling obligations.

He could of voiced his concerns over the running of the club, and I think Bruce alluded to the importance of gaining promotion, so he was aware to some degree of the financial situation. Another reason he's done himself a disservice in the hope of retaining a stint as Aston Villa's manager.

Bottom line though is Bruce as a coach should be free to back himself and use what he is offered, those above him should be responsible for worrying about how much, when and why.

He's far from great, and ideally I would like to see us with a manager who has a higher football IQ and a bit more ingenuity about them, but Bruce cops way too much flak.

He was never going to turn down the Villa job and I can honestly thank him for a few things last season, despite ultimately not being good enough.

He has shown throughout the season that despite being able to manage at this level he is not a cut above or able to rectify shortcomings he can control and I highly doubt we will see anything new from him. That's where it ends for me though.

I sit on a mental health board and am responsible for interviewing psychiatrists and psychologists who are applying for work in our organisation. I try my best to ascertain what qualities they bring to the table and take some consideration in weighing up why I think they are suitable or not.

In their minds they are putting their best foot forward and trying to progress in their profession, just like Bruce has done. It is my job to scrutinise over whether they are going to be a good fit. In order to do this I need to have an understanding of the environment and people involved. If I don't I make a poor decision and therefore appointment.

It would seem Xia has made some errors in judgement, despite his intentions, and that is what is ultimately going to set us back.

Wyness could be equally to blame, I don't know, it would definitely seem like there has been a lack of trust amongst our hierarchy which has added to the debacle.

Edited by A'Villan

Much more likely to stay now with events in last 48 hours...if he wants to.

We need stability, he knows the squad (if there will be any of it left by start of August) and using the free and loan market he could build a reasonably competitive side as he has done previously at cash strapped clubs.

If we had any prospect of promotion next season I'd want him gone but unless anything drastically changes next season is all about survival I'm afraid so think more logical to stick with someone well versed in this division than say a Chris Coleman or Grayson who both massively underestimated the trouble Sunderland were in.

Let's not forget sack him and we'd have to find money from down the sofa to pay him off and imagine he's one of the highest paid managers at this level so that wouldn't be simple.

If he does resign I imagine someone like Mick McCarthy would be targeted, kept Ipswich up comfortably for years on a shoestring.

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Much more likely to stay now with events in last 48 hours...if he wants to.

We need stability, he knows the squad (if there will be any of it left by start of August) and using the free and loan market he could build a reasonably competitive side as he has done previously at cash strapped clubs.

If we had any prospect of promotion next season I'd want him gone but unless anything drastically changes next season is all about survival I'm afraid so think more logical to stick with someone well versed in this division than say a Chris Coleman or Grayson who both massively underestimated the trouble Sunderland were in.

Let's not forget sack him and we'd have to find money from down the sofa to pay him off and imagine he's one of the highest paid managers at this level so that wouldn't be simple.

If he does resign I imagine someone like Mick McCarthy would be targeted, kept Ipswich up comfortably for years on a shoestring.

When did this happen?

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Not quite sure what you mean by “all of this” but I can confirm 100% that Steve Bruce is NOT responsible for

the club’s failure to pay its tax bill

the owner’s failure to make provision for running costs in view of the change in policy of his government that meant he couldn’t move money from China

the utter rift between the owner and CEO that led to the CEO’s suspension

These are the things that are top of my mind at present. When you say Steve Bruce’s is most culpable for “all of this” it would be interesting to know what you think is actually going on at the club. 

Seems you missed out the chairman not saying no when he wanted to spend money we don't have.

53 minutes ago, Didiersix said:

It makes my piss boil the thought of Bruce staying. He has a readymade excuse - young lads, no money - and can walk away any time with his reputation intact. Despite the fact he has played a significant part in our downfall.

I really don't trust him to bring the best out of our U-23 players. 

He couldn't get the best out of the most expensively assembled squad in the league .

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

He was two goals short of promotion in a 49 game season.

His failure will mean we don't play our football in the Premier League next season. A pretty big disappointment given what was afforded him.

That said, unless Xia had some genius plan, with deals lined up and a complete change in direction to be implemented, I'm guessing it's safe to say Bruce is not responsible for the predicament we face now, or the fact that his superior was choosing to gamble on knifes edge.

Had Bruce got us promoted, many would not of even credit him or praise him for his efforts. It was simply an expectation he needed to fulfill.

So on that point, I think it unfair that Bruce be accused of being culpable in decisions that were beyond him. If we are talking about fulfilling obligations.

He could of voiced his concerns over the running of the club, and I think Bruce alluded to the importance of gaining promotion, so he was aware to some degree of the financial situation. Another reason he's done himself a disservice in the hope of retaining a stint as Aston Villa's manager.

Bottom line though is Bruce as a coach should be free to back himself and use what he is offered, those above him should be responsible for worrying about how much, when and why.

He's far from great, and ideally I would like to see us with a manager who has a higher football IQ and a bit more ingenuity about them, but Bruce cops way too much flak.

He was never going to turn down the Villa job and I can honestly thank him for a few things last season, despite ultimately not being good enough.

He has shown throughout the season that despite being able to manage at this level he is not a cut above or able to rectify shortcomings he can control and I highly doubt we will see anything new from him. That's where it ends for me though.

I sit on a mental health board and am responsible for interviewing psychiatrists and psychologists who are applying for work in our organisation. I try my best to ascertain what qualities they bring to the table and take some consideration in weighing up why I think they are suitable or not.

In their minds they are putting their best foot forward and trying to progress in their profession, just like Bruce has done. It is my job to scrutinise over whether they are going to be a good fit. In order to do this I need to have an understanding of the environment and people involved. If I don't I make a poor decision and therefore appointment.

It would seem Xia has made some errors in judgement, despite his intentions, and that is what is ultimately going to set us back.

Wyness could be equally to blame, I don't know, it would definitely seem like there has been a lack of trust amongst our hierarchy which has added to the debacle.

And yet, all we have heard from him this season is how difficult he is and how he needs more funds, how he was having to balance the books and not being backed. 

So basically he wanted to spend MORE! great. 

unfortunately Bruce's failure is no longer our biggest concern 

4 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

I would fully expect the JCB to be part of the fire sale.

I would fully expect the JCB to fetch more than Micah Richards, and be easier to sell.

55 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

And yet, all we have heard from him this season is how difficult he is and how he needs more funds, how he was having to balance the books and not being backed. 

So basically he wanted to spend MORE! great. 

unfortunately Bruce's failure is no longer our biggest concern 

I never heard him say a word of that, but I can't say it surprises. Early on he was very quick to point out the clubs position as dismal to negate and deflect from his responsibilities.

Whatever the arrangement between Xia, Wyness and Bruce has turned out to be farcical and I imagine it might've come undone pretty quickly had we made a return to the Premier League anyway.

It is still a concern for me, not that we weren't promoted, rather that there's people deciding the clubs direction who may want success through Aston Villa but aren't taking the time to define how it's going to be achieved in a way that benefits the club and not just their self interest.

I hope nothing malicious has happened between Xia and Wyness but both have failed to produce on their word, or for the clubs future going in to the next few years, as it is.

It's going to take leadership, ingenuity, planning and creativity to take this club up to where it wants to be. Not just the same old tried and tested. Whoever does it will come under heavy scrutiny and they will need to take ownership of any problems we face. I'm not sure that's Bruce, not in the slightest.

Admittedly I understand very little about the financial side of our club and what's happened. I was hoping that comments along the lines of the club dissipating were either ill-informed or overreactions.

What this whole debacle highlights for me though is that we, as a club, aren't really in a position where our reputation and history alone will save us, nor should it.

It's great that there's such heritage and that we are a cornerstone and mainstay in English football but the past really doesn't exist anymore when you think about it.

Like the wake of a ship it fades off. It's the same as the future, it doesn't exist. Unless it's happening here and now it's not really in existence, is it?

It's all well and good for Xia to say we'll succeed in 5 years, or Wyness to spout about a Villa Engine, Bruce to talk about mending the relationship with the fans.

As a collective all three have failed to deliver on our immediate needs, and in my opinion, neglected the club.

Heritage and stature are fine for sentiment but are worthless unless there is a legacy that is continued and effort invested in maintaining it. You can't just prop yourself up on reputation. Something which I think the hierarchy are guilty of, it appears like they didn't really investigate what is required now in order to address our situation, rather just rely on the clubs remaining clout to essentially further exhaust us and any leverage that we have remaining.

• Like 1

Â