Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, R1chuk said:

I'd sack Bruce and promote Delaney, he's done a great job with the U23. Build the whole system for the future.

Trouble with that is he's on a years rolling deal so 12 months compo needs to be stumped up to sack him. Money being too tight to mention sort of screws us, use it to sack Bruce and we have less money for a rebuild...

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

I don't hitnk he's going to walk out on his contract, any more than the squad will forgo a months money to ease our immediate cash flow probs. 

Our problems are deeper than the manager, we need a new CEO, a director of football with good connections and a plan, then take it from there. Next steps being coaches and scouting. 

Bruce does not fit in that scenario for me, but we don't have the cash to fire him.

HAPPY DAYS

Surely in that case we do not have the cash to fire Round either ?

17 minutes ago, villakram said:

That anyone is even considering the possibility of Bruce staying after failing 2 seasons running to get us promoted... the man is a failure and has demonstrated it yet again with Villa, but ya, let's continue on down this road.

The mind does truly boggle.

The mind truly does have its own path.

If you are saying he failed to get us up?...you are right

If you are saying he had no success in anything he did whilst working as manager for us?.....I'm not going to list them.....you would be wrong.

Jokanovic, failed too in 2016/17....but they stayed with it....and the bacon came home.

Warnock too failed in his first season 2016/17 with Cardiff, but they stayed with it and the bacon came home.

Patience is a virtue.

Edited by TRO

Just now, TRO said:

If you are saying he had no success in anything he did whilst working as manager for us?.....I'm not going to list them.....you would be wrong.

Jokanovic, failed too in 2016/17....but they stayed with it....and the bacon came home.

Warnock too failed in his first season with Cardiff, but they stayed with it and the bacon came home.

Patience is a virtue.

Jokanovic is a young talented tactially astute excellent coach. Bruce is none of those things.

The Warnock comparison is more valid. Make of that what you will.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Warnock too failed in his first season 2016/17 with Cardiff, but they stayed with it and the bacon came home.

Warnocks remit when took over was to keep Cardiff in the league mate. He did not fail. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Warnocks remit when took over was to keep Cardiff in the league mate. He did not fail. 

And jokanovic took a fulham team the had just avoided relegation the season before  to the play offs that season too so he did not fail either . 

‘Bruce got us to 13th - he failed !

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, TRO said:

We have to change.....Steve has to change his approach too.

You can hope, but deep down you must know, he'll never change. Even though we seldom agree on here, I know you see what I see.

My genuine fear is we will only waste several more years down here, or lower if we stick with Bruce.

13 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

We might have been promoted too?

Or we might have got a manager with a proper vision of integrating the youth team and adding younger players to the squad similar to Fulham. We wouldn't be in this mess now with that kind of foresight. 

Who knows.

so whats Jack, Green and Davis pensioners?.....Jack and greeny have had serious injuries.

This mess is not his doing......its just his missing out, has brought it all out in the open.

We were 2 goals short from success....we scored 72 goals in the season.....We only scored that when we won the league in 80/81....admittedly 4 more games and 80/81 a better league, but they had better players too.

We do need some perspective in all of this.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Patience is a virtue.

I don't believe you are comparing Jokanovic and Warnock with Bruce. They had footballing philosophies and plans on how they wanted to play, albeit very different ones. Other than buy or loan the most expensive defensive players he could and try and sneak a goal, please explain how you believe his strategy is giving you the confidence that it will all come good next season?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

so whats Jack, Green and Davis pensioners.....Jack and greeny have had serious injuries.

This mess is not his doing......its just his missing out, has brought it all out in the open.

We were 2 goals short from success....we scored 72 goals in the season.....We only scored that when we won the league in 80/81....admittedly 4 more games and 80/81 a better league, but they had better players too.

We do need some perspective in all of this.

maybe  had he not sent him team out like frightened rabbits at Wembley  then we wouldn’t be in this position now . 

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

Patience is a virtue.

Mmm....bacon !

o0ZrmGRXiqVRm.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Normally the highest paid squad finishes top, we shoudl have finished in the automatic promotion places. We **** it up royally.

That assumes they were worth the money we were paying them. The year we got relegated we had the 10th highest wage bill. We finished 20th and went down in March.

I actually do think last seasons squad was good enough to achieve promotion. We finished 6 points from automatic and came very close in the play offs. I think we came close enough that based on that alone doesn't warrant Bruce being sacked especially when you take in to account the position we were in when he came in - 5 wins in 18 months, no away win in 14 months, 1 win in 11 Championship games, knocked out of league cup by 4th tier Luton. In the 20 months he has been here he has turned around a side still going backwards and got us to within a whisker of promotion. Turned around a squad lacking heart, desire, fight and leadership to one which for the first time in years was full of team spirit.

The big question for me isn't does what he has done in 20 months warrant him being kept on or sacked it is whether he is the right man to take us forward and I am still undecided on that as I can see merits in both keeping him on and letting him go, dependent on replacement obviously. The pros to retaining him will be the continuity angle, the fact at this level he has an excellent record, the fact he knows the players, his contacts in terms of securing loan players and his vast experience which could be useful in what is likely to be a tough time for the club. The cons are that we are likely to have to rely heavily on promoting players from the under 23's something he isn't renowned for having done, his over cautious approach to games, whether at 58 he has the desire to do a rebuilding job with little funds and whether he will use those financial restraints to continually play down our future prospects.

For what it is worth I don't think he will be sacked and I think he may well back himself to still be able to take us forward so won't walk. I'd imagine by this time next week we will know for definite one way or the other.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Jokanovic is a young talented tactially astute excellent coach. Bruce is none of those things.

The Warnock comparison is more valid. Make of that what you will.

Was he one of those, when they were sitting in 10th position in January....until admittedly a fine signing of a leader of the line turned their season around....of course Jokanaovic deserves praise for that.

Whats happened to the tactically astute Wagner, who has just avoided relegation.

all this tactically astute stuff tickles me....He played over 400 games and captained Man United in Europe and he is tactically naive.....never in a million years.

so you don't like his style or tendency to be cautious....fine.....but the rest Nah.

anyway, back to the point..... one finished in the "Automatic places" and the other in The "play off finals".....make of that what you will.

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Eastie said:

If Bruce stays it will end in tears and well  before xmas in my opinion - he’s on a hiding to nothing and as soon as we had a bad run many fans would turn on him - walk away head high and take a few months off and then get another job would be the best option for him to take . 

‘Whoever is on charge next season forget promotion talk - let’s see a better style of play and mid table and build from there . 

Every keyboard warrior on tinternet banges on about Bruce issues,  it seemed at times last season I would turn up to Villa Park to jeering and catcalls, but all that happens is full support and people singing his name. 

12 minutes ago, Eastie said:

maybe  had he not sent him team out like frightened rabbits at Wembley  then we wouldn’t be in this position now . 

Well, I agree......and I have no idea why they played like that....The manager himself made comments similar, but I accept, he should know.

But in hindsight, the players must have had no idea of the severity ,the defeat would have on the club....else I would imagine the first half would have been a siege.

I can only speculate like everyone else.....if only we knew the half of it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Was he one of those, when they were sitting in 10th position in January....until admittedly a fine signing of a leader of the line turned their season around....of course Jokanaovic deserves praise for that.

Whats happened to the tactically astute Wagner, who has just avoided relegation.

all this tactically astute stuff tickles me....He played over 400 games and captained Man United in Europe and he is tactically naive.....never in a million years.

so you don't like his style or tendency to be cautious....fine.....but the rest Nah.

anyway, back to the point..... one finished in the "Automatic places" and the other in The "play off finals".....make of that what you will.

You really cannot be serious.

You are literally trying to make it seem as Wagner, at Huddersfield, with a fraction of our budget, who got promoted from this very league we failed in twice, has failed, for avoiding relegation in their first full season in the Premier League.

I don't even think you are convinced of that.

lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

17 minutes ago, Eastie said:

so you think he sent his team out to play like that?

not sure what to say mate.

I was pissed off at Wembley, when we played Arsenal.....but I doubt Tim Sherwood sent them out to play like that......much the same against Chelsea.

I don't believe managers send them out to play like that....they just do.

I don't believe either that Ron Saunders sent us out to play like we did at Highbury, when we won the league, thanks to Middlesboro.

did Jokanovic send them out to play like they did against Blues.....Nah.

It happens.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well, I agree......and I have no idea why they played like that....The manager himself made comments similar, but I accept, he should know.

But in hindsight, the players must have had no idea of the severity ,the defeat would have on the club....else I would imagine the first half would have been a siege.

I can only speculate like everyone else.....if only we knew the half of it.

It wasn’t really a one off though. We’ve seen the team play overly cautious and on the back foot many times last season. Whatever the reason was. 

For what it’s worth I would like a completely new era which includes a manager too. But if it ends up being Bruce I’m not too fussed either. 

I knew either way it’s going to be a tough season and felt this even before yesterday’s news. 

Bruce or no Bruce it’s all abit crap but it is what it is. 

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You really cannot be serious.

You are literally trying to make it seem as Wagner, at Huddersfield, with a fraction of our budget, who got promoted from this very league we failed in twice, has failed, for avoiding relegation in their first full season in the Premier League.

I don't even think you are convinced of that.

lol

It’s second time @TRO has mentioned Wagner as if he had a bad season. 

What Wagner achieved in the last 2 seasons with Huddersfield is incredible. 

• Like 4

Â