Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

37 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I'd say they've all retained their value apart from Hogan - it's not the worst record on players all in all. Plus Hogan still has a chance here.

Agreed, I also think Hogan could be a player that benefits from having a younger team around him next season. Players like Green, Grealish, RHM, Doyle-Hayes will play to his strengths.

• Like 1

Just to be clear on this, Bruce doesn't take any blame for the financial mess the club are in. He would have highlighted his targets and the board would have sorted the financials. It's not the managers job to play accountant for a football club, they simply spend what they are told they can spend.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

According to transfermarkt( which I think underestimates if anything)  +23 million euro on Hogan Bree Thor Hourihane Lansbury. Besides Hourihane all questionable buys and only Hourihane rarely used. Bruce is a tactics dinosaur and bought players that were doing well for respective clubs. Hogan has barely worked because doesn't fit Bruce's systems. 40k a month on 4 and half year deal in Championship is criminal 

Oh yeah...we've made some dreadful signings

6 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Agreed, I also think Hogan could be a player that benefits from having a younger team around him next season. Players like Green, Grealish, RHM, Doyle-Hayes will play to his strengths.

I'm not convinced by Hogan at all. I think he is such a limited player. Hope I'm proven wrong.

5 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Just to be clear on this, Bruce doesn't take any blame for the financial mess the club are in. He would have highlighted his targets and the board would have sorted the financials. It's not the managers job to play accountant for a football club, they simply spend what they are told they can spend.

Mostly true. However Bruce must have know Terry wasn't going to come cheap.

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

Mostly true. However Bruce must have know Terry wasn't going to come cheap.

Terry was cheap.

We payed 2.5 million for him over the course of the time he was here, there was no transfer fee involved.

We sold Nathan Baker for 3.9 million, and so over the course of last season we made 1.4 million plus Bakers wage savings from the deal. This also includes having John Terry over Nathan Baker for a season.

31 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Just to be clear on this, Bruce doesn't take any blame for the financial mess the club are in. 

Only indirectly by setting the team up for a guaranteed defeat first half in the PO final.  But then even he couldn't know that one game would break the club forever.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Only indirectly by setting the team up for a guaranteed defeat first half in the PO final.  But then even he couldn't know that one game would break the club forever.

Exactly, the board have had 2 years to straighten out the finances and get the club into a position where primarily we pass FFP regardless of being promoted or staying in the Championship, but also to have the club healthy enough that we are in a position to pay our bills without relying on funds from Xia.

At some point in the last year Xia must have realised that funds were not able to be moved from China and a backup plan should have been looked into. 

Steve Bruce is the head coach of the football team, not the owner, the CEO, or the finance manager. 

Stability wise, whilst the board is a mess, we need to retain him to carry on the job he's doing with as little impact as possible. Obviously over the next few days/weeks we will see what sort of an impact this mess will cause to the squad Bruce has assembled.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I can't figure out if Bruce becomes a more or less attractive option if we're in as much shit as we think we're in next season.

I've wanted him gone for months. I wanted him out regardless of the result of the play off final.

But I'll be chuffed to watch some more bloody bruceball if it means we're still in a position to field a team in a couple of months,

The manager should be the least of anyone's worries right now.

• Like 1

I can't decide whether it's best to just get a new manager and scrap it all and start it all again, whilst using a lot of our under 23's more so we can sell some first teamers.

Or

Keep Bruce and have him try and keep something that resembles a team from last season. 

The first option is more appealing to me, but it's also way more risky. 

Edited by PieFacE

53 minutes ago, choffer said:

I can't see him sticking around if it's as bad as some seem to think.

This times 100. If he feels like he doesn't have a chance at the top 2 he'll be gone.  

As much as I can see the benefit of keeping him for his experience and the stability it could bring, I just can't see him and his management style working well with the financial restraints that we're bound to see.

I really want us to just start a fresh now. As much as it pains me to say it, sell Grealish, sell Chester, sell all the fringe players that we don't use, bring in a modern-thinking CEO, manager and backroom team and get us building the club up the way that Preston, Barnsley and Brentford do. If we have to spend a few million on bringing all of Brentford's management team, coaching staff and scouting network to us then fine, do that too.

32 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

If this prick delivered things would be better, despite what would still be fairly rotten foundations. 

Jesus Christ. The guy got us to a playoff final in the season he lost both his parents. I know he's not the perfect manager but cut him some slack FFS. Calling him a prick is a joke.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, choffer said:

I can't see him sticking around if it's as bad as some seem to think.

He will go ,probably before the weekend . 

‘No way Bruce will stay now the full picture is being revealed - he’s probably been sold a few lies too and I’m sure had no idea how bad the financial situation really was . 

Â