PieFacE

On 21/03/2022 at 11:32, Mic09 said:

I never understood this 'protecting players' take. 

There are rules of the game - it shouldn't matter if your name is Ruben Dias, Bednarek, Saka or Grealish. The rules are the same. It's a foul or it isn't. 

If you are an attacking player, it's only logical you will face tougher treatment as you will go against the best defenders in the country.

As long as rules are followed, no player should get 'protection' whatever that means. 

I think the issue is that some players get repeatedly kicked with no yellow cards issued against them. If referees consistently yellow carded opposition players then they wouldn’t get booted for 90 minutes every week.

Grealish and Hazard are the two that stand out for me as players who seemed to get kicked around and refs were scared to book those fouling them. It’s almost like they feel it’s inevitable that there’ll be a red card because the only way teams could stop them was to foul.

I don’t think Saka was kicked around in that way though. He put himself in a pretty stupid position for that Mings pass which led to him taking a bit of a whack. Other than that I don’t really remember him taking any particularly rough fouls.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I’ll put it here as it’s the club he is most associated with… but how on earth is he still only 30???

Former Arsenal, West Ham and England midfielder Jack Wilshere has announced his retirement from football aged 30.

Wilshere made 197 appearances for Arsenal and won two FA Cups after making his debut as a 16-year-old. 

He later had spells at West Ham, Bolton, Bournemouth and Danish side AGF Aarhus.

In a statement on social media, Wilshere - who won 34 England caps - said his career had been "slipping away in recent times".

Link

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Could have won it all at barca 🙄

Wonder what the reaction would be to him coming through now, maybe he wouldn't be played to breaking point but also maybe he wouldn't be a myth of a player 

just another one of those over hyped English players who failed to remotely fulfil their "potential" imo.

tbh he prob wasnt half the player he was touted to be, but he also seemed to not help himself, prob 50% he threw it away, and 50% he had too much expectation, and was the victim of the hype brigade.

He was hyped because he came along when Barcelona were dominating with small playmakers and he seemed to be the first English player of a similar style when England usually produced Gerrard/Lampard types

He was nowhere near the hype though and fact he is retiring at 30 after playing a season in Denmark I think shows that

• Like 1

Exactly as Zatman said

To me pep summed him up best when he was asked if wilshere could play for barca* and he said "I've got 10 of him in my youth team" 

He was right, wilshere could pass the ball 5 yards, he could move in to space, he could pass the ball in to tight spaces and receive it in tight spaces with good close control and the English coming off the back of Scholes lampard and Gerrard who could all smash 100mph 60 yard diagonals all over the pitch absolutely lost their shit over it 

In reality he just played football in the same way that everyone in Europe did, didn't do it better (he wasn't a good player) he just did something we'd grown unaccustomed to

That's why I think he'd be an interesting player now because the ferociousness of the English PL midfielders has dropped off slightly, the range of passing has improved, the style has changed 

* I'm glad the whole "good enough to play for barca" bollocks has died off

• Like 2

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Could have won it all at barca 🙄

Wonder what the reaction would be to him coming through now, maybe he wouldn't be played to breaking point but also maybe he wouldn't be a myth of a player 

Saka is probably most comparable player and he's been playing week in week out since about 19 so little difference apart from he dosen't get injuries.

When you look at 2010s generation it's incredible how many English players have had significant injuries that have basically killed their careers at top level....Wilshere, Phil Jones, Rodwell, Andy Carroll, Sturridge and probably a few more I've forgotten. Welbeck also had endless injuries at Arsenal.

Compared to now to likes of Sterling and Kane playing 50 + games no problem in a season.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He was hyped because he came along when Barcelona were dominating with small playmakers and he seemed to be the first English player of a similar style when England usually produced Gerrard/Lampard types

He was nowhere near the hype though and fact he is retiring at 30 after playing a season in Denmark I think shows that

He at least did it at the top level for a bit....Josh McEcharan was one who seemed to ride on the back of being the new Wilshere a season or two later and I never saw any top level ability with him but he got some chances at Chelsea due to them not having many players come through their academy at the time.

Â