PieFacE

They are rebuilding with good young players while moving on the big wage hangers on like Willian. 

They seem like they will kick on in the next couple of years for a challenge for Europe. They are probably similar to ourselves in that regard.

That’s not going to be enough for their fans though, who are used to more recent success. 

6 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

They are rebuilding with good young players while moving on the big wage hangers on like Willian. 

They seem like they will kick on in the next couple of years for a challenge for Europe. They are probably similar to ourselves in that regard.

That’s not going to be enough for their fans though, who are used to more recent success. 

Yeah. They had an exceptional tough opening 3 games. 

Fixture list look a lot kinder for them now. Can see them stabilizing somewhat. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Ben White has said he doesn't watch football. I wouldn't sign a guy for 50m if he didn't watch football, might be own my own but I think that's pretty bad.

Why? 

Being an NFL fan I do wonder how much tape footballers watch as part of coaching and always think it's not a lot

But from what I've heard from a fair few footballers plus pretty much any mate that's played at a decent level football as a job completely changes your enjoyment of it (as was referenced a lot in the grealish thread and just what kind of "fan" a pro footballer can be) maybe interesting that of the 3 lads that I know that played in PL youth teams none of them actually support a team, they all watch football but don't support anyone 

Then when I listen to pundits on sky et Al its blatant that they don't watch football in their spare time 

Don't know if being in and around it all day means they have no interest in it on the night, time off doesn't just mean time away from a ball it means time away from all football for some of them, not a clue how many of them play fifa and FM and just have a good football knowledge

1 hour ago, AndyM3000 said:

Ben White has said he doesn't watch football. I wouldn't sign a guy for 50m if he didn't watch football, might be own my own but I think that's pretty bad.

More players than you might expect dont like football, people like Batistuta and Nakata didnt either. Its just a profession

• Like 1

It is but can you aren't getting to the top with that approach to the game IMO and Arsenal have spent 50m mostly on his potential.

Imagine an Arsenal coach telling him to go home and study old great defenders like Terry, Vidic etc "Oh, nah mate sorry, I don't watch football in my spare time". 

55 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

It is but can you aren't getting to the top with that approach to the game IMO and Arsenal have spent 50m mostly on his potential.

Imagine an Arsenal coach telling him to go home and study old great defenders like Terry, Vidic etc "Oh, nah mate sorry, I don't watch football in my spare time". 

I'll give a better example based on how the NFL uses tape

We played spurs last week on TV, we play arsenal next week, why didn't he watch our game to see what we do at corners? Or how we play ings and Watkins as a pair, what the movement is etc? Arsenal are on TV Monday night, I would want our players watching that game, at home or together but with some coaching comments thrown in Tuesday morning as a group 

But I don't think football works that way, they have scouts who analyse it, feed it to the coaches and then the coaches do it for them, they don't study how their opponents play

Maybe they should but then the NFL is far more technical in play design 

All or nothing suggested that Jose did presentations showing clips of their opponents in a theatre style room 

Edited by villa4europe

9 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

They'll probably watch clips during training/briefings whilst at the club but then don't want to watch it at home in their free time. Which I can understand, if I've spent several hours doing something at work I'm not usually in the mood to do it again that evening, even if it's something I enjoy and find interesting. 

It's probably like how a lot of chefs don't cook fancy food in their free time and just do simple stuff instead. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

Also said he has never watched Vieira play.

Will cause a meltdown among Arsenal fans.

White's excuse is that he is always too busy. U wot m8? You must finish around lunchtime and you can't go out boozing. What the **** is he doing?

Grealish watches loads of other football - he said he does it to pick up tips and study how great players play and hope it improves him.

On 15/10/2021 at 15:00, Zatman said:

More players than you might expect dont like football, people like Batistuta and Nakata didnt either. Its just a profession

Two absolute mavericks. If you're a centre back and you don't watch football you ain't doing your job.

Â