Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

They're "smashing it" at second division youth level.  Blackburn are currently ahead of them in that table... but aren't playing those brilliant youth players at senior level and, somehow, are top of League One.  We're sat 4th in the Championship - I highly, highly doubt our youth are the difference between that and being 1st/2nd/3rd.

Youth leagues are there for young players to develop and start to challenge for a first team place.  I'd argue that Keinan Davis, Rushian Hepburn-Murphy, Andre Green and Callum O'Hare are basically fringe first team players.  Of these players, only Keinan Davis is in his 20's.  Andre Green was a first team regular before his injury setback.  The notion that we don't blood youth players is just absolute nonsense.

Harry Kane, one of the greatest English youth talents of his generation, aged 19, had made one Premier League appearance for Spurs.  It lasted 4 mins - he came on as a sub.  Slowly but surely, he developed and now look at him.  I don't understand this clamour for rushing youth players into the senior team for the sake of it.  Let them be a success at youth level, let them work hard for their ultimate reward and then don't jump on their backs when they don't immediately set the World alight.

Jonathan Kodjia seemingly only became a regular professional footballer aged 23/24.

I think you missed my initial point. I said Kodija would be better off having a few 90 min in the reserves to get his fitness and confidence up rather than 20/30 min here and there for the 1st team but I don’t think Bruce puts much stock in what the kids do or we’d see more of OHare and RHM. That point was called twaddle. We can argue over whether or not Bruce gives our kids a chance but this is a Kodija thread. Bruce last year basically relied on Kodija doing some magic to win us games and brought him back straight away. Getting Kodija match fit for the playoffs is key for me. Throwing him in v Hull was wrong but v Reading it was ideal as no pressure. 

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

If he feels that he's fit enough, would like to see him start against Cardiff. He looks sharper than the other strikers do right now.

We only seemed to start playing today once he came on, he seemed to be giving it his all compared to the others. I don't think I would put him at risk of being clogged out of it by Cardiff though, let somebody else take the lumps from the start, it is a dead rubber for us.

20 minutes ago, poitier said:

We only seemed to start playing today once he came on, he seemed to be giving it his all compared to the others. I don't think I would put him at risk of being clogged out of it by Cardiff though, let somebody else take the lumps from the start, it is a dead rubber for us.

Agreed ,  play him v Leeds not Cardiff .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Cardiff will be fired up so save Kodija for a start v Leeds we don’t need him getting kicked out the season Id save Jack the hassle aswell. 

Cardiff are filth. There's an inexplicable lack of protection for players at this level, look at Terry's injury first half, that was a shyster's challeng and we didn't even get a free kick. It was aimed to hurt and it worked. Not played the ball just blatantly gone out to "leave one" on Terry. It's bollocks, why is it ok at Championship level to do this shit? Morrison does a few every game, at Prem level Cardiff will be down to nine men every week if they behave like that Wolves game. 

If we start Kodija and after 5 mins Morrison sticks one on him and he gets stretchered off? 

He’s getting sharper and fitter. Has tonnes of natural ability and was starting to look like his old self in that cameo. 

No doubt Bruce will chuck him in either against Cardiff or Leeds. Preferably Leeds so Cardiff don’t kick lumps out of him. 

• Like 1

He certainly adds something to our team when he comes on.

Would add a lot more if he looked up and wasn't so selfish from time to time.

You just know, no matter where he receives the ball it will end up with him trying to get a shot off rather than trying to find a team mate.

Still, great to have him back.

Man even a match unfit Kodja who's played maybe 3 full games of football all season has shown is head and shoulders above all our other strikers. So crucial to have him back. With him and Grealish on song, I'm backing us for the playoffs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Man even a match unfit Kodja who's played maybe 3 full games of football all season has shown is head and shoulders above all our other strikers. So crucial to have him back. With him and Grealish on song, I'm backing us for the playoffs.

You said it mate. Selfish or not, I don't see any other of our strikers firewalking tf out of defenders like the beast does. It's so damn good to have him back.

• Like 4

Â