Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

Don't want to be too harsh on him but seriously you have to put your arse on the line in this game. Most if the team would ahve fun through walls for bruce yesterday. At least he knows by the telling off it won't be tolerated 2nd leg.

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He looked really off the pace today. Might be best to give Hogan or Davis the nod to come on against Boro on Tuesday depending on the circumstances. 

Have to agree here, the Davis part anyway, he could have at least held the ball up better to relieve the pressure.

Needed someone to be able to present a danger on his own yesterday so the theory was sound in bringing him on, unfortunately he is a shadow of the player he was. 

Needs a pre season for me.

• Like 1

Just now, Nigel said:

Have to agree here, the Davis part anyway, he could have at least held the ball up better to relieve the pressure.

Needed someone to be able to present a danger on his own yesterday so the theory was sound in bringing him on, unfortunately he is a shadow of the player he was. 

Problem is if we need a goal davis wont be able to offer much. Kodjia can we know that. Be a huge gamble. Kodjia needs games 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Problem is if we need a goal davis wont be able to offer much. Kodjia can we know that. Be a huge gamble. Kodjia needs games 

You are right, but we have the players that can score goals in that midfield, they just need the time to get out of defence.

Davis has a bit of a physical presence in the box too.

• Like 2

Just now, Nigel said:

You are right, but we have the players that can score goals in that midfield, they just need the time to get out of defence.

Davis has a bit of a physical presence in the box too.

Yeah that is true about his phyiscal presence but kodjia has that also in his locker. Be a huge gamble to throw davis in for a game of this magnitude 

Can't see bruce taking a punt at this stage considering davis has not be in the first team scene for months. We will see alpt more of davis next year i am sure of that

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah that is true about his phyiscal presence but kodjia has that also in his locker. Be a huge gamble to throw davis in for a game of this magnitude 

Can't see bruce taking a punt at this stage considering davis has not be in the first team scene for months. We will see alpt more of davis next year i am sure of that

Have Davis and kodjia on the bench and start grabban - maybe hogan needs to drop out of the 18 to allow Davis a spot but he has that vital physical edge to his play that hogan doesn’t offer .

we can’t go with 3 strikers on the bench so for me hogan would be the one to miss out 

• Like 2

He demonstrated a pathetic lack of effort and did a bad job with the little of the ball he had. I was irritate at how he'd simply jog up to their defenders when they had the ball, rather than making the effort to close them down.

• Like 4

Kodjia needs a rocket up his arse and to pull his finger out - anything less than 100% is unacceptable in a villa shirt -shape up or ship out , I appreciate he’s still finding his feet after a long lay off but no excuse for lack of commitment 

16 hours ago, KJT123 said:

He wasn't great, but neither was Grabban. You can't judge them when you're hitting aimless hoofs to them all match.

Which is absolutely not what was happening so different explanation needed.

Pains me to say but he has no place in this Villa team anymore. 

100% commitment should be a given, not a 'nice to have'. 

• Like 1

Best thing for him now would be to publicly apologise to the fans.  Not for any lack of effort but for the way he walked away at the end and failed to acknowledge the travelling support.  If he did this and said he's ready for Tuesday I'd give him a place on the bench, if not, then his place should be filled by Davis.  

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

Pains me to say but he has no place in this Villa team anymore. 

100% commitment should be a given, not a 'nice to have'. 

He's close to being done, not impressed with the game time he has had this season, despite his injury. Not good enough for a higher level, should we get there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yesterday, when he was criticised for not trying by his teammates, he reacted by giving up altogether and having a sulk - that's simply unacceptable - he downed tools in the biggest game of our season because he had the hump that Hourihane and Chester wanted more out of him. 

For me, he either switches on in training this week, accepts the criticism he deservedly got from his teammates for not trying against Boro in the first leg and changes his attitude for the second leg - or he's replaced by Davis on the bench. Right now I'm leaning on putting Davis on the bench, but that might just be an emotional response to his emotional response yesterday. 

That is disappointing.

I have no idea of the situation and what it entails.....what I do know, is right now both him and Albert are shadows of the players they can be.

wow, he has one very poor game from the bench and he gets written off completely.

his performance was unacceptable no denying that, but he is still the most talented forward we have by far.

Grabban didn't have a good game at all, he was hugely isolated but still pretty inaffective.

Adomah has been as timid as a mouse of late, we need options and seeing as the Hogan is sh*t campaign on here seems to suggest no one wants him to feature well that leaves Davies who according to everyone on here can't score goals and not saying that isn't true but he hasn't really had enough games to 100% conclude he is a forward that can't score.

Be nice if RHM could make the bench but no way in hell will Bruce turn to him or Davies.

4 hours ago, Nigel said:

unfortunately right now......that is the state of play.

Ive long made peace with the fact that kodjia's footballing IQ is quite low, things like trying to take 3 or 4 men on when he has team mates free. Dont think its greediness, hes just a bit thick in a team game. But like i said, is what it is and we cant play the shocked card when he does it. Not busting a gut, as a sub who is very fresh, to not close them down when we are trying to defend a lead is not acceptable. Chester and Hourihane were right to have a pop. If anybody is walking or not filling a gap tuesday night someone needs to get on their case and say it to them. This tie is far from over.

Edited by Johnnyp
mistake

6 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Which is absolutely not what was happening so different explanation needed.

You weren't watching the second half then were you?

Actually, no the aimless punts upfield were just that. If they had been aimed at our strikers then they may (emphasise may) have done better. 

However that does not detract from Kodjia's lack of effort yesterday. I hope he gets a rocket from Bruce as well as his team mates.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

You weren't watching the second half then were you?

Actually, no the aimless punts upfield were just that. If they had been aimed at our strikers then they may (emphasise may) have done better. 

However that does not detract from Kodjia's lack of effort yesterday. I hope he gets a rocket from Bruce as well as his team mates.

The post I was commenting on talked about aimless punts all match so your comment doesn’t really hit the mark.

There might get have been some badly directed long balls made under pressure but I think the description of “aimless punts” is totally inappropriate given the nature of the match and the good team effort.

Although I accept there will always be aimless negativity among the comments on here.

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

The post I was commenting on talked about aimless punts all match so your comment doesn’t really hit the mark.

There might get have been some badly directed long balls made under pressure but I think the description of “aimless punts” is totally inappropriate given the nature of the match and the good team effort.

Although I accept there will always be aimless negativity among the comments on here.

LOL. *SOME* badly directed long balls. Go and watch the second half again without your "everything is wonderful" tinted glasses on.

Yes we won the game, yes Bruce got it right but Jesus that second half was painful. There must be a capacity to defend well and then keep control of the ball rather than punting it straight back to the opposition. You know maybe take the pressure off, slow the game down, frustrate the opposition because they can't even get the ball and not give Villa fans heart attacks.

• Like 1

Â