Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Very well said, this appears lost on some !

Bit disingenuous, it’s not lost, just don’t agree we defended like heroes, we simply defended ok but we were also fortunate that middlesborough we’re terrible at finishing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ingram85 said:

Bit disingenuous, it’s not lost, just don’t agree we defended like heroes, we simply defended ok but we were also fortunate that middlesborough we’re terrible at finishing.

I didn’t mention you ? Not disingenuous at all, it’s my view that the fact that defending can be good play is lost on some.

Additionally I’m not sure I’ve seen any Posts calling us heroes ?

We defended ok ? Well, yes, we didn’t concede a goal, it’s impossible to do any better than that, additionally that’s 4 and half hours against us they’ve not scored, which I’d certainly say is “ok”.

Fortunate ? They went close a couple of times but it was hardly a siege. In fact, it was nothing like one.

• Like 2

Everyone is delighted we won 1-0 away from home, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of honesty and constructive criticism. First half was amazing, but in the 2nd half I agree with stagman. With a bit of guile from passing it out we could have hit them on the break and scored a 2nd, instead we decided to lump it as far as we could time and again.  Yes I agree they didnt really create anything clear cut because of the way we played in the 2nd half, but to argue that we weren't aimlessly lumping it in the 2nd half is just incorrect.

9 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Everyone is delighted we won 1-0 away from home, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of honesty and constructive criticism. First half was amazing, but in the 2nd half I agree with stagman. With a bit of guile from passing it out we could have hit them on the break and scored a 2nd, instead we decided to lump it as far as we could time and again.  Yes I agree they didnt really create anything clear cut because of the way we played in the 2nd half, but to argue that we weren't aimlessly lumping it in the 2nd half is just incorrect.

I’m not sure “awful/ painful/ shit” are constructive though. As for honest, that’s neither here nor there, if I think we defended well am I being dishonest ? If you prefer to focus on the fact it’d have been better if we’d used the ball better are you being more honest ?

We were not the first, and won’t be the last, team to get stuck deeper than we’d like, or to be less constructive than we’d like. 

So, it’s not constructive criticism that some find objectionable.

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

I’m not sure “awful/ painful/ shit” are constructive though. As for honest, that’s neither here nor there, if I think we defended well am I being dishonest ? If you prefer to focus on the fact it’d have been better if we’d used the ball better are you being more honest ?

We were not the first, and won’t be the last, team to get stuck deeper than we’d like, or to be less constructive than we’d like. 

So, it’s not constructive criticism that some find objectionable.

Making quite an accusation there. I didnt say we were shit or defended badly so why are you saying that?

Somebody was accusing stagman of watching a different game as they refused to believe we were aimlessly lumping it in the 2nd half, i was referring to that as it was very clear we were. No hidden agenda.

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Really? I can think of maybe 1 or 2 where i felt we got away with it. But certainly nothing i felt they really should have scored. We handled them well. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Junxs said:

“Aimlessly lumping” is not a factual or objective description of the way we were playing. It is a slur using highly emotive and biased words that you might expect more to see used on a Middlesbrough fan site to describe our play. It implies you know the motivation of the players in a way that could never be possible. 

We had a choice in the second half: continue attacking and risk being caught on the break; or play it tighter in defence and midfield and hope to sneak another goal - as others have said, that was probably in part the thinking behind bringing Kodjia on.

Personally I think the defensive choice was right, although Bruce’s post match comments made clear he thought they were a bit too defensive. That is no doubt the reason that upfield shots weren’t meeting their target.

Nonetheless, we go out tomorrow evening to a full house at VP, 1-0 up and with the advantage definitely on our side.

Why people are reacting to that by moaning on about lack of attacking football and traducing our players by churning out phrases like “aimless lumping” I am at a loss to understand.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

Wow, it’s all gone a bit OTT hasn’t it, people are just saying you can still criticise despite being happy with the win, no need to get all uppity and sneery about it, no ones attacking you so to compare posters who disagree with you as dumb dumb Boro’ fans is shit and highlighting that saying the players aimlessly lumping it is emotive and biased language? Well, lol :crylaugh:

People arguing for the defensive style in the 2nd half have a point, it worked clearly, as much as I didn’t like it but why say things so vehemently when other people just say they found it crap to watch? Calm down and let’s enjoy tomorrow. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Making quite an accusation there. I didnt say we were shit or defended badly so why are you saying that?

Somebody was accusing stagman of watching a different game as they refused to believe we were aimlessly lumping it in the 2nd half, i was referring to that as it was very clear we were. No hidden agenda.

I didn’t say you said it calm down !

Re-read the preceding couple of pages, those three words were used prior to my Post ?

29 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Wow, it’s all gone a bit OTT hasn’t it, people are just saying you can still criticise despite being happy with the win, no need to get all uppity and sneery about it, no ones attacking you so to compare posters who disagree with you as dumb dumb Boro’ fans is shit and highlighting that saying the players aimlessly lumping it is emotive and biased language? Well, lol :crylaugh:

People arguing for the defensive style in the 2nd half have a point, it worked clearly as much as I didn’t like it but why say things so vehemently when other people just say they found it crap to watch? Calm down and let’s enjoy tomorrow. 

That’s just the problem, though, isn’t it.? Constantly trying to find the negative even when results are positive. It’s a constant theme for some posters and it gets a bit wearing.

”Aimlessly  lumping” is a stupid  and unjustifiable phrase to use. I’m not going to apologise for pointing that out.

Why are people getting upset about the phrase ‘aimlessly lumping’? Would it be less offensive if we was just referred to as clearing our line?  Whatever you want to call it the problem was it just kept coming back!!

We saw the game out but we must try and keep the ball better then we did second half as there’s only so long you can invite that kind of pressure on your for without conceding. 

Edit: Any one who watched the game today  will have seen the key player Fulham had and that we were missing in the second half. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, briny_ear said:

“Aimlessly lumping” is not a factual or objective description of the way we were playing. It is a slur using highly emotive and biased words that you might expect more to see used on a Middlesbrough fan site to describe our play. It implies you know the motivation of the players in a way that could never be possible. 

We had a choice in the second half: continue attacking and risk being caught on the break; or play it tighter in defence and midfield and hope to sneak another goal - as others have said, that was probably in part the thinking behind bringing Kodjia on.

Personally I think the defensive choice was right, although Bruce’s post match comments made clear he thought they were a bit too defensive. That is no doubt the reason that upfield shots weren’t meeting their target.

Nonetheless, we go out tomorrow evening to a full house at VP, 1-0 up and with the advantage definitely on our side.

Why people are reacting to that by moaning on about lack of attacking football and traducing our players by churning out phrases like “aimless lumping” I am at a loss to understand.

Well you can dress a salad any way you like, but at the end of the day its still a salad. Some people might even claim it was the nicest meal they ever had just because of the circumstances around it, might not have eaten for a couple of days.

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why are people getting upset about the phrase ‘aimlessly lumping’? Would it be less offensive if we was just referred to as clearing our line?  Whatever you want to call it the problem was it just kept coming back!!

We saw the game out but we must try and keep the ball better then we did second half as there’s only so long you can invite that kind of pressure on your for without conceding. 

Edit: Any one who watched the game today  will have seen the key player Fulham had and that we were missing in the second half. 

As the politicians say, I refer you to the answer I gave previously. There’s only so long  this can be discussed with any added value and I think we may have reached the limit.

I genuinely believe the defence and midfield were trying very hard on Saturday and doing their best to secure an away advantage. I also think they secured us a pretty good position in tne tie.

Using the phrase in question implies an arrogant and contemptuous assumption that they weren’t trying, or applying any footballing skills to the task at all.

OK?

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Using the phrase in question implies an arrogant and contemptuous assumption that they weren’t trying, or applying any footballing skills to the task at all.

OK?

Or maybe it’s more to do with the reaction or interpretation of the phrase rather than the phrase it self. 

11 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Kodjia should be nowhere near the team for tonight. A greedy, overrated player who, imo, would do more harm than good by being on the pitch. 

He's a 15 minutes to go throw up front player at the moment. He needs game time which we dont have.

Defenders hate him 

Â