Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No, I expect him to be eased back in with substitute appearances, exactly the way it's been happening.

Exactly. If they've decided the best way to reintroduce Kodjia is the way they're doing it right now, don't you think that it probably is the best way? I mean it's literally their job to know that. Whereas we are all just mongs on a football forum. I'm sure they know better than us.

That may be so eventually (and forgive me for being a little less enthused than you, given your track record ;) ) but the suggestion that they are all ready NOW and if Bruce paid attention to reserve games they'd be playing is, again, twaddle imo. The ones that are good enough have had their chances. Green has played until his injury, Davis has played semi regularly, RHM has had game time, as has O'Hare.
If any of them were good enough to command a first team place regularly, like Green, then they would.

Agreed entirely apart from that RHM has had game time, he made his debut 3 years ago now and has been injured a lot since. If he was fit, the football club would benefit. O'Hare is a very talented footballer with a bright future in the game. Green is a special talent, if he was fit, he'd be in my first XI. Suliman, Clark and Bedeau all have a chance of making it here in my opinion, they are outstanding talents

12 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Agreed entirely apart from that RHM has had game time, he made his debut 3 years ago now and has been injured a lot since. If he was fit, the football club would benefit. O'Hare is a very talented footballer with a bright future in the game. Green is a special talent, if he was fit, he'd be in my first XI. Suliman, Clark and Bedeau all have a chance of making it here in my opinion, they are outstanding talents

I don't really disagree with any of this. And I don't think Steve Bruce does either.

• Like 2

can only agree with Stevo here. I think we have a roster of talented youngsters with a, potentially, bright future at this club. however I think that the approach the staff is reintroducing Kodija is very appropriate. worst thing that could happen now is that he wears it out and gets injured again when he could mean the difference between promotion and total utter doom.

• Like 1

In danger of wandering off topic, but very quickly the idea Bruce pays no attention to what is going on the U23 team doesn't pass the laugh test. He played youngsters in the early rounds of the cup (sometimes in preference to out-of-favour seniors), and has regularly talked-up the clubs youth prospects in interviews. He has placed a huge amount of trust in Davis especially this season - had he even made his debut twelve months ago? - and brought on RHM (stupidly, but there it is) as his first roll of the dice at Bolton. 

It's just absolute nonsense. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Firstly the suggestion that Kodjia needs three 90 minute reserve game matches before he can make the first team is twaddle. It sounds like the kind of thing just made up to have a dig at the manager.
I'm not sure the poster in question knows better than our manager, and coaches, and medical staff. I'd be more inclined to believe them if they think Kodjia is ready.

Secondly the insinuation that Bruce pays no attention to reserve games, and if he did we'd suddenly see loads of kids making the first team is also twaddle, imo.
The suggestion is that all these kids are brilliant and should all be in the team if Bruce noticed them.
Do we really think that the reason the kids don't make the team is because Bruce ignores reserve games? Like if you really think about it, does anyone actually believe that?

Or could it be that they're not good enough? 

To me it's a lazy criticism. Someone decided that Bruce doesn't like giving youth players a chance and so it gets brought out at every opportunity by some. It's not actually true.

Sure there might be a gem in there who would flourish if we threw them into the first team, but in general they're not good enough or not ready.

So yeah. That's why it's twaddle.

Our kids are smashing it at a reserve level yet apart a fleeting sub appearance by RHM none get a look in. It’s not a lazy criticism it’s a fact. They may not be good enough but you tend to only find these things out by trying them. I’ve seen nothing in Onomah or Axel that our kids haven’t got apart from size. I never said Kodija needed 3 reserve games before coming back just that I believe he’d benefit more from playing 90 min games than just getting 20 min here and there. That’s how players used to come back from injuries and how most clubs do it. He looked better last night but looked awful v Hull Bruce rushed him back on to the bench then and when we lost control of the game he threw him on and hoped for some magic. Kodija is coming back from a 2 nd broken leg and that’s will affect him mentally playing in games without much on could help that but you think the sun shines out of Bruce’s arse so let’s hope we get a sun tan in May.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Our kids are smashing it at a reserve level yet apart a fleeting sub appearance by RHM none get a look in. It’s not a lazy criticism it’s a fact. 

Keinan Davis. 

10 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Kodija is coming back from a 2 nd broken leg  

Ankle. 

5 hours ago, KSV said:

So unlucky not to score. He played pretty well.. put in some decent crosses from the left too. Much prefer him in the wide left role than through the middle. But Kodjia anywhere is a massive boost for us. 

I agree

He has the body movement and dribbling skills to be a threat from anywhere around the box.....just ring rusty......SB is doing the right thing.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Keinan Davis. 

Ankle. 

Davis was the only fit striker so no other option and look how he fared? That proves my point that you can trust the kids more. Leg or ankle the point is still valid. Maybe more so seeing the sort of player Kodija is and the pressure he exerts on his ankle with his twists and turns.  

1 hour ago, dn1982 said:

Our kids are smashing it at a reserve level yet apart a fleeting sub appearance by RHM none get a look in. It’s not a lazy criticism it’s a fact. They may not be good enough but you tend to only find these things out by trying them. 

Or by seeing them train and play reserve games and deciding based on your decades of experience. I'm sure you know better though ;) 

1 hour ago, dn1982 said:

I never said Kodija needed 3 reserve games before coming back just that I believe he’d benefit more from playing 90 min games than just getting 20 min here and there. That’s how players used to come back from injuries and how most clubs do it.

I mean that's just not true is it? Sometimes that's how it happens. Sometimes it isn't. Depends on the player, and the injury, and the scenario. Again I'd guess that our team of professional medical staff know the best way to bring him back form injury. I'm sure you know better though ;)

2 hours ago, dn1982 said:

you think the sun shines out of Bruce’s arse 

Also twaddle. I've lost count of how many times I've had to explain my views on Bruce. I'm not going to do it again. Let's just say because I defend Bruce from weird, laughable criticism like your OP, doesn't mean I love the guy. I really don't love him. I think he's doing ok, that's it. I'm sure you know better though ;)

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Davis was the only fit striker so no other option and look how he fared? That proves my point that you can trust the kids more. 

It doesn't, it proves that you can trust Davis more. 

57 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Or by seeing them train and play reserve games and deciding based on your decades of experience. I'm sure you know better though ;) 

I mean that's just not true is it? Sometimes that's how it happens. Sometimes it isn't. Depends on the player, and the injury, and the scenario. Again I'd guess that our team of professional medical staff know the best way to bring him back form injury. I'm sure you know better though ;)

Also twaddle. I've lost count of how many times I've had to explain my views on Bruce. I'm not going to do it again. Let's just say because I defend Bruce from weird, laughable criticism like your OP, doesn't mean I love the guy. I really don't love him. I think he's doing ok, that's it. I'm sure you know better though ;)

Twaddle 

Â