The Championship thread

TrentVilla

Probably one for the older supporters on here to confirm, but the past three seasons in this league has given me a sense as to what football was like before the premier league (my memories are practically non existent). More chaotic, bit more of a free for all in terms of who’s going to triumph, much more likely to see an unexpected result....would that be correct?

12 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Kinda, two or three signings could transform a team in the 90s but Man Utd still always won. 

I meant before then to be honest, the start of my football memories more or less coincide with the start of Man Utd’s glory years.

I suppose the early years of the premier league would have been much more comparable to the first division in the late 80’s than anything post 2000 (say).

Edited by Shropshire Lad

Taking everything into account I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the three years in the Championship, okay first year was a bit shite but we’ve had plenty of interesting shit to keep us more than occupied for three years.

Plenty of wins, some great ones too, Wembley heartache followed by Wembley joy, some really good players and I think it’s all galvanised us as fans again too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I meant before then to be honest, the start of my football memories more or less coincide with the start of Man Utd’s glory years.

Same, but Liverpool always won :D

• Haha 2

I have to say the fact we got relegated got me off my backside and back down to Villa Park as a season ticket holder.

The situation as I saw it was I need to be there when we get back...what kind of fan was I if I didn’t fully back us week in week out.I felt Villa needed the support.

What a ride it was ,ending  in one of my best days out watching Villa on Monday.

To the Championship,I thank you for the experience.I think Villa are now stronger for spell we spent as your guests.

Please don’t be offended if we aren’t  back anytime soon though 😃

Edited by MarkLillis

4 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I suppose the early years of the premier league would have been much more comparable to the first division in the late 80’s than anything post 2000 (say).

I'd say so. The usual teams may have won the league but if you look at the final tables during the 80's and 90's there will always be a team that came from nowhere to finish 2nd or 3rd. Be it Villa under GT, or Norwich, or West Ham in 85/86 time. Early 80's obviously you had us and Forest winning the league and Ipswich coming close. Leeds winning the title in 92 was unexpected I guess although they had spent a bit in the summer (Dorigo, Rod Wallace and Cantona later in the year i think). Last English manager to win the top flight IIRC.

Sad to say, nowadays you know who the top 6 is before the season starts. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So who you backing for the 19/20 season?

My early favourites are

Fulham, Cardiff, wba, sheff Wed, boro, Stoke and suprise package will be Preston. 

giphy.gif

50 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So who you backing for the 19/20 season?

My early favourites are

Fulham, Cardiff, wba, sheff Wed, boro, Stoke and suprise package will be Preston. 

It's a bit early yet, need to see what business is done first, but I think Stoke could be up there, they have the squad and I quite like Nathan Jones

On 29/05/2019 at 13:33, bobzy said:

MOTD is good for Villa games as they discuss in so much detail

I disagree wholeheartedly. The 'analysts' need to stfu, how often is there any genuine insight? I'd rather see far more match footage and dial back the tedious gobshites sharing their expert opinions with the crisp salesman.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

So you’ve narrowed it down to just a third of the division then Dem? ;)

Controversial eh? Out of that lot I think it will be Leeds West brom or Fulham to win the league. I think it will be Leeds 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I disagree wholeheartedly. The 'analysts' need to stfu, how often is there any genuine insight? I'd rather see far more match footage and dial back the tedious gobshites sharing their expert opinions with the crisp salesman.

And me, that's why I preferred goals on Sunday, no lowest common denominator bollocks posing as analysis just some blokes watching the highlights and talking casually about it

Surprised no one has ever tried to go the blogger route, a show with football and some naturally gifted football talkers with actual opinions rather than an ex player belittling the audience with simplistic shite and pandering to the big clubs 

Edited by villa4europe

Man it feels good to not be duking it out gladiator style to get out of this league. It would be a great league if the stakes weren't so high. If the PL had that kind of competition it would be amazing.

Â