The Championship thread

TrentVilla

It's Boro fans I feel bad for. Imagine sitting through that shit for another season, crap football, but hey, Pulis gets results, right? then not even getting in to the playoffs. 

Hopefully that consigns Pulis to the retirement home, he's an embarrassment. 

• Like 1

Apart from a fair few predicting a Leeds implosion, and rodders0223 predicting everyone finishing 8th. Most people fancied Stoke and Boro for top 2. Well done to Farke and Wilder.

internet points though.

On 31/07/2018 at 22:28, VillaChris said:

Yeah can see it being Ipswich, Bolton and Rotherham as bottom 3. Look the weakest three squads anyway.

giphy.gif

On 31/07/2018 at 17:33, rodders0223 said:

Not concerned about the regulars deciding to "go again" and spend a bit of money, or bring in a name.

Leeds will start the season well. Impressive! It could be their year. Wheels fall off in November. Will finish 8th

Derby will go top at Christmas, and hold out until about April. Will win 1 game in 10 and finish 8th.

Bristol will linger around the play off spots all season. Will miss out on a spot by losing their last 3 games. Will finish 8th.

Forest will be forest, will meander along all year without ever really threatening. WIll finish 8th.

As it is written so shall it be.

near enough I'd say :D

• Haha 2

Very interesting league this year. Enjoyed this season far more than the other two down here, hopefully the ending won't be sour like last season.

Think the play offs are going to be crackers. Villa-WBA looks after itself and we have Bielsa minions hiding in bushes again in the other one. And that's all before the final.

Think next season will be weaker at the top due to what's coming down and is coming up from league 1 so think we'd challenge again next season if the worst happens.

• Like 2

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Question is now do boro stick with pulis for another season? 

Mutual consent in next 10 days I reckon. Boro fans already voicing their dissent at his style for last few months. Debatable whether Boro should've challenged more for top 2 but not to get them in the play offs is a failure.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Mutual consent in next 10 days I reckon. Boro fans already voicing their dissent at his style for last few months. Debatable whether Boro should've challenged more for top 2 but not to get them in the play offs is a failure.

I agree. This is two seasons in championship for them now so they will have to sell to balance their books. 

Boro will probably try tempt jokanvic

48 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree. This is two seasons in championship for them now so they will have to sell to balance their books. 

Boro will probably try tempt jokanvic

Gibson is trying to get us all deducted points for breaching FFP. Get the feeling he's pushed that as cover as Boro parachute payments are running out and they've spent big money and wages on likes of Assambalonga and Jordan Hugill.

They will have to cut their cloth over next 12 months aswell.

I did read somewhere that they might go left field and appoint Woodgate as their next manager if they're going to be bringing through more youth as he's been working in that role for last few years.

Would be similar to when they were in the prem and gave Southgate the managerial role.

I could never understand them sacking Garry Monk tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile, a million miles away from the "Let's all stare at Manchester City!" thread ...

Bolton Wanderers set up food bank for staff  :(

Bolton Wanderers set up food bank for staff

The club went into administration this week over an unpaid tax bill and some staff are said to be struggling financially.

Bolton Wanderers have set up an emergency food bank for non-playing staff who have not been paid after the club went into administration.

Local businesses and charities have donated food and essentials to staff, according to The Bolton News.

A Championship side - believed to be Preston North End - is also said to have given £2,000 of supermarket vouchers.

Bolton's employees have not been paid for several weeks, while the players have not had their March and April salaries.

Club chaplain Phil Mason told The Bolton News: "When people talk about football they often associate it with big salaries and luxurious living but the reality is that many of our staff - as we all do - live within their means.

"And that becomes very difficult when you have not been paid for a couple of weeks. It has hit home hard."

A court hearing last week heard that the club owes more than £1m in taxes and they will also start next season with a 12-point penalty because of their financial woes.

• Sad 1

I hope the footballing community and ex Bolton players who made a handsome living from the club can help out 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Xela said:

I hope the footballing community and ex Bolton players who made a handsome living from the club can help out 

Yep. My heart goes out to them. That could have been us. It would be great if our club could perhaps arrange a friendly with them in the summer with all proceeds going to Bolton wanderers? 

Are Sheff Utd still technically a championship club? 

Anyway, I hadn’t realised there was some issues over their ownership and I certainly wasn’t expecting to see this story -

Sheffield United Football Club was funded by a £3million loan from Osama bin Laden's family, it has emerged in court today. 

A High Court judge is currently analysing a battle for control of the club between the co-owners - Kevin McCabe and Prince Abdullah Bin Mosaad Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, who is a member of the Saudi royal family.

On the fourth day of the hearing, a sensational revelation was read out in court, seemingly linking the newly-promoted Premier League club to relatives of the former Al Qaeda leader. 

It relates to an investment opportunity within the club which became known as Project Delta - a £3million loan that McCabe said would never have to be repaid. 

In court on Wednesday, McCabe and Abdullah argued about whether or not the money would have to be paid back, with the Saudi prince insisting it would have been paid back through sponsorship. 

But on Thursday, Barrister Andreas Gledhill QC, who is leading Abdullah's legal team, said McCabe "knew the money had come from another source, namely a member of the Bin Laden family," according to the Sheffield Star. 

The court heard of emails in which McCabe's colleague at a property business Jeremy Tutton mentions that he would hate the headline in the Sheffield Star to be "Blades launder money for extremists".

Mr Tutton was also added to the board of directors at Sheffield United in 2017.

McCabe dismissed this as "banter", but Mr Gledhill told the court the email confirms that the co-owner knew where the money was coming from. 

More on Telegraph link

Edit - I’m sure it’s more nuanced than made out, and there’s a lot of questionable money floating around the sport, but definitely it makes for an eye catching headline.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

On 14/05/2019 at 18:27, Zatman said:

The FA, SKY and the EFL are all to blame for this. Not just Bolton but othet clubs in recent times

Spot on.

Football is broken. Liverpool bought a keeper for 70m when we were on the brink of going bust. But it's "fair" play. 

It's not. It's out of control and the restrictions only help the rich, whereas the poor go the way of Bolton. 

As much as I hate Blose, I'm even against their points deduction. Teams should be able to spend what they want if it is out of the pocket of a chairman.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the teams coming down from the PL to me as it stands there are no clear running favourites and it is wide open so it can be exciting next season. I actually enjoyed being in the league overall to be honest. It's actually a good league but is hampered in a way with it's rules.

Anyway after all that I must admit I am glad we aren't part of it next season 😁

Hope I will never have to revisit this thread (other than to possibly mock teams in it).

Hated almost every second in this league apart from yesterday and did not watch a single game over 3 seasons where Villa wasn't involved.

Good riddance.

Â