The Championship thread

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

How can they force them to play? If all the players at all age groups refuse, what are the EFL going to do?

It would also go against EFL rules of making more than 6 changes in the squad 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I dunno, if you're one of those 16/17 year old kids you'd probably love the chance to play for the first team irrespective of the circumstances. 

Possibly, but then you get tonked by a bunch of men, don't get a contract out of it anyway because your employer isn't paying anybody and you've essentially crossed a picket line.  No way would I play if I were in their situation. 

9 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Possibly, but then you get tonked by a bunch of men, don't get a contract out of it anyway because your employer isn't paying anybody and you've essentially crossed a picket line.  No way would I play if I were in their situation. 

But if they play well they put themselves in the shop window. 

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see many 16/17 year old turning it down, what do they care about picket lines. 

Sheffield Wednesday have issued a warm-hearted - but slightly bizarre - statement of congratulations to Sheffield United on their promotion to the Premier League.

The Blades were promoted this weekend after rivals Leeds United drew 1-1 against Aston Villa in an, in itself bizarre, Championship match.

Owner Dejphon Chansiri wrote a short note to their Steel City neighbours, to a somewhat tepid response from the Owls faithful.

"Few things in life unite and divide opinion like football. But one thing at this stage of every season is undebatable and I would like to offer the warm congratulations of everyone at Sheffield Wednesday to everyone at our neighbours Sheffield United for their achievement of promotion," said Chansiri in a statement posted to SWFC.co.uk.

"We may be rivals but we are friends of the same city that holds such unique tradition in the football world. Recognition in the Premier League can only benefit Sheffield and we wish United well, whilst promising our loyal supporters that we will be giving our absolute best to ensure Wednesday will be tasting the same success this time next year.

"We must also congratulate Norwich City on their promotion and offer our commiserations to Ipswich Town, Bolton Wanderers and Rotherham United. We wish you a speedy return to the Championship."

While a wonderful sentiment, and necessary in times where strife can seem ubiquitous in the United Kingdom the reactions from some Owls fans have been mainly bemusement or outright despair.

And United fans were not long in joining in the fun...

Chansiri has overseen a turbulent time at the club, joining in January 2015 and overseeing a significant churn of managers - although the club have performed well enough this season to just miss out on the play-offs for the Premier League.

https://www.offtheball.com/soccer/sheffield-wednesday-issue-statement-fan-anger-ensues-854034?fbclid=IwAR067VawZ4WUlt71D_jQqT0yQpPaPbRQIRLNmrC0cRUSl38CrdzN7RTrbL8

called Partridgeesque by some people 

The Bolton takeover may be in jeopardy now if the EFL don't approve of Bassini's funding proposal.  Bolton have said "negotiations will cease" in that scenario.  If they were not to fulfil their remaining 2 fixtures then it might affect our playoff opponent.  If everyone's Bolton points were removed (and no-one has said they would be yet), then the Baggies go 3rd on goal difference.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

The Bolton takeover may be in jeopardy now if the EFL don't approve of Bassini's funding proposal.  Bolton have said "negotiations will cease" in that scenario.  If they were not to fulfil their remaining 2 fixtures then it might affect our playoff opponent.  If everyone's Bolton points were removed (and no-one has said they would be yet), then the Baggies go 3rd on goal difference.

And we play Leeds in the first round, Its going to happen, it's just go to lol 

Graham Potter has done a very solid job at Swansea considering their relegation fire sale and that it's his first season in the Championship.

Delighted for him.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sne said:

Graham Potter has done a very solid job at Swansea considering their relegation fire sale and that it's his first season in the Championship.

Delighted for him.

It's surprising how high they are in the league, considering they've been extremely inconsistent.  Their colour-coded results look like a Jackson Pollock.  Recent good form has put a shine on their position, and I was only saying to myself earlier that they'll be one to watch next season.

d23cf8b5b723eec6e043f4b5237a7dd1.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

@BOF - That list of results - they played Derby in the week, so how come it's got Hull there?

BOF out!

was game in hand so just assumed it was down for whatever week it was scheduled for

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Linky

Following the decision taken by Bolton Wanderers’ Safety Advisory Group (SAG) to issue a Prohibition Notice preventing Tuesday’s rearranged Sky Bet Championship fixture with Brentford from taking place, the EFL will not be asking that the game is played at a future date.

There is no provision under EFL Regulations to direct Clubs to play at a later date than four days past the conclusion of the season and, as a result, it has been determined that Brentford will be awarded the three points on the basis of  a 1-0 victory.

As a consequence, Bolton Wanderers is now deemed to be guilty of misconduct by the EFL which will result in disciplinary proceedings against the Club being taken at an appropriate time.

The decision to award the victory to Brentford is taken under Regulation 33.2 and is independent of the proceedings referred to above.

I'd say if there is such a thing as "Bolton Wanderers" next season, they'll be starting League One on at least -6pts.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I thought default wins were always 3-0.....

That would've been my guess, but it wouldn't have been based on much more than assumption.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

That would've been my guess, but it wouldn't have been based on much more than assumption.

Maybe they didn't want to twist the knife too much......or perhaps the extra two goals would have impacted on league positions.........

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Maybe they didn't want to twist the knife too much......or perhaps the extra two goals would have impacted on league positions.........

No it wouldn't have.  It's just a case of here's your win.

21 hours ago, BOF said:

Linky

I'd say if there is such a thing as "Bolton Wanderers" next season, they'll be starting League One on at least -6pts.

Seems quite complicated . . . will one fewer team be relegated from League One if they fold?

Â