Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

13 hours ago, villaglint said:

The bigger concern is how he fits in the side now we've gone to three in middle.

He doesn't fit in the side because our midfielders are so bad. if we could play two in the middle then you could have mccormack as a number 10 but we have to play three midfielders to do the job of two good players. it's the reason we won't be promoted this season. that and appointing RDM.

• Like 3

Being played out of position so he needs to change his game as we shouldn't accommodate him,  he is a good player and good players adapt to what's being asked of them, give him a bit of time and he'll get better hopefully. If not then he has to accept the bit part role and wait until January to see what Bruce does to the midfield hopefully freeing up Ross' more natural role or if it comes to it he can go I guess. 

One has to wonder where we've been if the money spent on him (or Kodija) had been spent on a couple of midfielders.

Easy to say in hindsight, but to most people it was pretty obvious that strengthening the midfield further was a bigger priority than making sure we had 7 or 8 first team striker on our books.

48 minutes ago, sne said:

One has to wonder where we've been if the money spent on him (or Kodija) had been spent on a couple of midfielders.

Easy to say in hindsight, but to most people it was pretty obvious that strengthening the midfield further was a bigger priority than making sure we had 7 or 8 first team striker on our books.

Well I guess your probably right in terms of doing a head count- however what worries me is that 50% of this bunch are barely good enough at this level- let alone for the level we aspire too.

Feel sorry for him

He should the Creator behind/alongside a front man or a little deeper behind 2 front men.

Unfortunately we dont have the midfielders needed to play him effectively (moreso now Bruce is using Hutton as RB - exposing our limited MF)

3  @ back 4 in MF would allow him his "off the striker" role but would be a brave move from Bruce

Plus's

Chester & Baker stay side by side in defence

Bacuna/Jedi/Gardner combo with Amavi adding width on left -less defensive responsibilities

Ayew has free roll all across the middle and can drop deep

McC in natural position

We'd have a more dependable Defence without Hutton

Bacuna could drop back to help Elphick

4 across middle Bacuna & Amavi allowed to push on

an energetic front 3 who could press high up

The only concern would be against a disciplined opposition with good wide players pinning us back forcing us to hoofball because we have no ball movers in MF

I've noticed in a few occasions Ross has been urging our Midfield and defence to push up when we are on the back foot, for a "stocky and thick" forward; that shows a lot of footballing intelligence and I reckon he will have a big hand in us getting a play off spot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

We certainly needed a new striker. Ayew isn't really and out and out one and Gestede is too limited to be starting every week for us.

I think too it should've been either Kodjia or McCormack not both,

Would rather the other 10m + gone on another midfielder obviously and also another wide player with pace as we don't have anymore when Adomah picks up injuries. I think that's partly why SB has reintroduced Gabby into the fold.

If we want to play counter attack football it helps if you have more than one pacy wide player in your squad....

• Like 1

It cannot be denied we needed Kodjia; he has already shown his worth.

But we needed cover for injuries or ACN, so we bought the best in the division - McCormack.

But we needed a midfielder as well, not in stead of. Having said that, Tshibola is not being used.

Fitted the way Di Matteo wanted to play but under Bruce will probably be an expensive bit part player and it wouldn't surprise me at all if you see McCormack leave at the end of January when Kodjia and Ayew return from the African Nations?

35 minutes ago, striker said:

Fitted the way Di Matteo wanted to play but under Bruce will probably be an expensive bit part player and it wouldn't surprise me at all if you see McCormack leave at the end of January when Kodjia and Ayew return from the African Nations?

The way Di Matteo wanted to play? Nobody's figured that out yet including Di Matteo.

• Like 3

It's looking like he may turn out to be the worst signing of the lot, when everyone is fit I don't have a clue where he is supposed to fit in. £12m for a 30 year old championship striker :wacko:

Â