Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

The midfield sat so deep he and Kodjia were cut adrift and he hasn't the pace to break. 

I'm not making excuses for his individual performance, he was poor, but coming out with crap like "sell him on January" and "waste of money" based on one ropey performance is a bit sad really. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We didn't need Kodjia if he was going to be played wide after two games.

I like athletic forwards in fairness...players who through the middle are quick, mobile and can stretch defences. Benteke on song could do all those things with his eyes closed and even Gabby could when he was bothered about playing football.

Problem is with McCormack if we're no getting promoted we're going to lose a lot of money on him given he's 30 next month and very few championship clubs can afford what we paid for him. Whereas Kodjia is younger so easier to re-sell if we have to.

Kodjia fits the type of forward I prefer to watch so that's probably why I have more love for him than McCormack.

Gestede is best as an impact sub. Has no business starting games for us unless it's against Rotherham.

Someone like Scott Hogan is/was the answer, far more dynamic with age on his side.

You are totally right to call McCormack a luxury. Whilst he clearly does a lot of things well - passing, shooting, positioning, his lack of pace, strength and presence up front can make him a mere passenger in tight games. He appears to be easy to be isolated and marked out of games by quicker more physical defenders, and it appears that we really need to put a unique system in place to accommodate him - which IMO is never a good sign. At times it is literally like playing with ten men when he is on the field. I'm also not convinced on his fitness, he looks overweight and his energy levels seem to drop in the second half.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

He's a playmaker/number 10 who gets goals. 

To get the best from him, you've got to get players around him and play football. 

Him, Grealish and Ayew are capable of some great interplay, but you have to get them close to each the on the pitch and playing. 

Last night you could see (and Bruce called it in his PM interview), there was no 'pattern of play', no focal point, no real idea of how we should be attacking. 

We didn't go long, we didn't play short, we just seemed to give to Mac, JK, Grealish or Adomah then step off and leave them to it. All of them were isolated on the ball at times, with no options. 

We were playing some lovely stuff at the start of the season and RM was a big factor in that. We need to get back to it. 

7 minutes ago, vreitti said:

A massive load of BS.

Is it ****. £12m for a 30 year old out of shape footballer who plays in the number 10 role when we already had Grealish and Ayew who already play there! Are you RDM ?

Yeah what a bargain Ross was. No money wasted there at all!!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KHV said:

Are you RDM ?

No, sadly I still have my shitty job.

I agree though that both Gresford and Ayew could play the same position. They are however quite different in their style of play, wouldn't you agree?

I wouldn't say he was a bargain, but don't think he was a waste of money either.

9 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Someone like Scott Hogan is/was the answer, far more dynamic with age on his side.

You are totally right to call McCormack a luxury. Whilst he clearly does a lot of things well - passing, shooting, positioning, his lack of pace, strength and presence up front can make him a mere passenger in tight games. He appears to be easy to be isolated and marked out of games by quicker more physical defenders, and it appears that we really need to put a unique system in place to accommodate him - which IMO is never a good sign. At times it is literally like playing with ten men when he is on the field. I'm also not convinced on his fitness, he looks overweight and his energy levels seem to drop in the second half.

And then, when Scott hogan starts slowly and doesn't score for a few because he's trying to settle into a new team and play in a big new stadium, you'll be on his back putting forward a new striker to replace him. Vicious circles.

I like McCormack but I thought the Wolves match was his worst in a Villa shirt to date. Rarely touched the ball, was clearly not on the same wave length with Kodjia since he gave so many passes away, and he did nothing offensively. I think if Kodjia passed it to him on the 3v2, McCormack would've scored, but all in all, I thought he was dreadful. It's a shame Elphick and Richards had to get hurt because I really wanted Ayew on for him. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2016 at 23:13, VillaChris said:

We didn't need Kodjia if he was going to be played wide after two games.

I like athletic forwards in fairness...players who through the middle are quick, mobile and can stretch defences. Benteke on song could do all those things with his eyes closed and even Gabby could when he was bothered about playing football.

Problem is with McCormack if we're no getting promoted we're going to lose a lot of money on him given he's 30 next month and very few championship clubs can afford what we paid for him. Whereas Kodjia is younger so easier to re-sell if we have to.

Kodjia fits the type of forward I prefer to watch so that's probably why I have more love for him than McCormack.

Gestede is best as an impact sub. Has no business starting games for us unless it's against Rotherham.

not trying to be picky Chris

but, I think you will find that was the main reason Klopp snubbed him......lack of movement.

He went for Mane instead.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I like McCormack but I thought the Wolves match was his worst in a Villa shirt to date. Rarely touched the ball, was clearly not on the same wave length with Kodjia since he gave so many passes away, and he did nothing offensively. I think if Kodjia passed it to him on the 3v2, McCormack would've scored, but all in all, I thought he was dreadful. It's a shame Elphick and Richards had to get hurt because I really wanted Ayew on for him. 

He provided the pass for the penalty. 

I actually quite like McCormack and think if he's played correctly can be a real asset.  You can see he has a football brain and perhaps a quicker decision maker than some we have.  Value for money?  Perhaps not, but certainly don't agree that he's a waste of money.  Proven that he can score 15/20 + goals at this level, so don't see how we can consider that a waste?  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Zatman said:

lot of neutrals that have watched us in different games have said it to me now that he is our worst player and we wont get any where with him in the team

What neutrals? What games? 

I think you've just plucked that out of thin air. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What neutrals? What games? 

I think you've just plucked that out of thin air. 

yes random people would just comment on a Villa player for no reason :rolleyes:

btw its Forest, Derby and Wolves game I have now heard different comments on

59 minutes ago, Zatman said:

lot of neutrals that have watched us in different games have said it to me now that he is our worst player and we wont get any where with him in the team

Ridiculous. Played correctly it's obvious we would get somewhere with him. If any of the actual players were playing well then he an kodjia would probably be near or into double figures each for goals. 

Â