Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

He isn't a wide player it is as simple as that. He needs to play in just behind a central striker but I am not sure we have the players at the moment to do that as it would almost certainly mean going with a two man midfield with him just in front.

I hope we'll sign a midfielder in January that allows us that option and we can still see the best of McCormack this season.

Edited by markavfc40

Alarm bells ringing IMO, definitely put in a decent shift but offered nothing at all going forward. The theory that he's a luxury player could well be correct - most would think that given his record at this level that he'd be a nailed on starter, however the fact that Bruce clearly doesn't see things that way do not bode well for McCormack. 

• Like 1

Long term I don't see what he offers us.

Yeah he'll score goals and look o.k in the championship but already he's proving a nuisance to actually fit in the team without upsetting the balance.

Also 30 so actually getting some money back for him will be an issue.

I think Kodjia was a much more logical signing even if he also cost a decent amount.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Long term I don't see what he offers us.

Yeah he'll score goals and look o.k in the championship but already he's proving a nuisance to actually fit in the team without upsetting the balance.

But that is simply because we can only effectively play one way due to our atrocious midfield, and yes i would agree that formation doesn't suit RMC. 

Once we have sufficient quality in the middle and no longer NEED to play with a 3 man midfield, i think Ross will come in and prove to be a valuable member of the squad. 

He has ripped this league to bits for most his career, that hasn't changed overnight. The problem is with our squad not Ross.

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

He isn't a wide player it is as simple as that. He needs to play in just behind a central striker but I am not sure we have the players at the moment to do that as it would almost certainly mean going with a two man midfield with him just in front.

I hope we'll sign a midfielder in January that allows us that option and we can still see the best of McCormack this season.

I'd go with Jedi and GG holding, with Tish just in front playing 'box to box'. 

Then I'd put McCormack in behind JK and Ayew up top. 

It's narrow, but with two holding, the fullbacks should be able to provide width. It's gets our best footballers on the pitch (bar Grealish) and if we played through McCormack, I think we'd do well. 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 2

I still think he will play a big part for us this season. We are going to have 2 games a week often, suspensions, injuries, loss of form and the African Nations to contend with. It's nice to know we have a little bit of depth in the squad. 

• Like 1

I must admit I have only watched a handful of minutes and listened to matches when I can (being a shift worker in oz while we're in the championship is proving very frustrating).

Getting to my point.... I find RM a complete waste of money and really dont understand why we bought him. Doesn't seem to fit into any system we play and what few chances have presented themselves to him he certaintly isnt a dead eye for goal.

I admit its just my opinion and I havnt got a lot to go on so if I'm completely wrong please anybody correct me. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz

54 minutes ago, av1 said:

But that is simply because we can only effectively play one way due to our atrocious midfield, and yes i would agree that formation doesn't suit RMC. 

Once we have sufficient quality in the middle and no longer NEED to play with a 3 man midfield, i think Ross will come in and prove to be a valuable member of the squad. 

He has ripped this league to bits for most his career, that hasn't changed overnight. The problem is with our squad not Ross.

He might have ripped this league to shreds for years but I think I'm correct in saying he has never been part of a squad that has been promoted..... something about him concerns me

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Buying players with great scoring records and sticking them on the wing is what we do. It's our thing.

I get that he is being played out of position but a player of his skill and experience can surely find a way to be more involved?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I get that he is being played out of position but a player of his skill and experience can surely find a way to be more involved?

The way we played today gave him nothing though really. Bruce had obviously told the players to just go long every time they got the ball.

Couldn't fault him today. He's not a right winger and he worked harder than I thought he was willing and able to. 

I don't understand why Bruce didn't move Kodjia wide and play Ross in the middle. We still could have played long direct balls to Kodjia with him being wider.

For me, McCormack is the key to this team going to the next level. We don't have any creativity still, and Grealish isn't the answer yet. Ross either needs to play as a no.10 or he needs to play as the furthest forward of a midfield 3. It would seem we are going to play with 3 in the midfield, so Ross is going to have to demonstrate that he can work hard enough to do it, as I don't see him getting a game as the main striker in front of Kodjia or Gestede.

Also feel sorry for him that both Kodjia and Ayew (although very important players for us) seem to refuse to pass the ball to him, or even pass the ball quickly. For someone that doesn't have much pace, he relies on the ball being played quickly. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, av1 said:

Sorry but unless we sign N'golo Kante and Matic or two midfielders who can actually properly cover ground I don't want us going back to 2 central midfielders after the horror shows under RDM.

We simply don't control games playing just two central midfielders, it was even debatable when we were actually good in the MON era.

I say stick with 4-3-3 but you have to bring in Tshibola if Bacuna can't play as we need at least one energetic midfielder.

And upfront I'd say our best is what actually started today although I think Bruce will rotate McCormack and Adomah depending on the opposition.

I'd imagine McCormack will be starting next week so he needs to make it count.

4 hours ago, villaglint said:

Difficult to blame him when we barely strung 3 passes together second half. 

The bigger concern is how he fits in the side now we've gone to three in middle. He's not a lone striker, not a winger/wide forward and not a midfielder.

So that could suggest he will not be here next season?

Â