Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

I just don't know with Gollini and I have said before in this thread that I think he has been really unfortunate. Almost every error he has made seems to have led to a goal and three of them late in games costing us points. Under Bruce he had done OK and looked like he was rebuilding confidence and then the error came against Leeds and it seemed like the confidence drained and he didn't look commanding against Norwich.

I think in terms of him being dropped we do need to remember he is only 21 and is very inexperienced. Bruce may feel taking him out of the spotlight may be the best thing to do. We also don't know how settled he is here or how he is performing in training.

I think what we do know is that dropping him certainly hasn't had a detrimental effect on our results so far. I'd also like to think he has a long term future here. We will bring a new number one in so maybe a spell in the under 23's or going out on loan to get games under his belt and rebuild some confidence will do him good. As Bruce as acknowledged you don't see many 21 year old goalkeepers starting week in week out and I get the impression that Gollini wasn't / isn't quite ready.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Bruce may feel taking him out of the spotlight may be the best thing to do

I'm pretty sure that's exactly it. The whole Bruce style is "hard to beat" - unforced errors are a crime. Everyone makes them, but a player who gets rattled by making mistakes isn't going to play much, IMO. He just wants someone he can trust, even if they are less talented than Gollini.

• Like 3

I'd rather see Bunn let go and have Gollini and Johnstone battle it out to start. Some healthy rivalry could see them both push each other to reach their best. We shouldn't be letting Gollini go now, but we don't have to play him every week regardless of form. There's a happy medium. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

I'd rather see Bunn let go and have Gollini and Johnstone battle it out to start. Some healthy rivalry could see them both push each other to reach their best. We shouldn't be letting Gollini go now, but we don't have to play him every week regardless of form. There's a happy medium. 

Absolutely nobody wants to buy Mark Bunn. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

The happy medium is that we get a new keeper.

I'd heard he was off to Inter Milan a couple of weeks back but can't find the link now, did anyone else hear this? 

Loan with a veiw to buy for the same money we paid in the summer. Was only to happen if we bought in a keeper to replace him which we obviously have now. 

Weird one at the moment the GK dept. We have Gollini, who at 21 shows a lot of promise as far as i'm concerned. Steer who is now 24 has never really been given much of a chance and out for the rest of the season injured anyway, a 32 year old Bunn with 6 months left on his contract who, to be fair, is pretty awful. And now Johnstone on loan until the summer.

If something behind the scenes means Gollini is off back to Italy whatever happens then it's irrelevant. But I hope he doesn't leave permanently or with any option to buy on a loan unless it's for clear profit. Bunn's not getting a new contract by the looks of things. Johnstone may/may not want to be here after the summer but letting Gollini go could mean starting pre season with Steer as our only goalkeeper. I know we'll have time and money for reinforcements come the summer, but it's all a bit of a mess really isn't it. here's hoping Johnstone is as good as his reputation.

3 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Bunn isn't awful, I think people just follow suit with criticism. 

Just my opinion of course but one Ive held consistently. I found the praise for his performance a few weeks ago against QPR a little odd considering they had no shots on target and Smithies at the other end put on a performance which stood out, Kodjia beating him at the near post aside.

I obviously prefer Gollini out of the two but I'm not blinded by that and it's obvious Gollini has made a few mistakes along the way this season. Bunn has always looked suspect to me from Notts County onwards.

• Like 1

I think it would be incredibly silly to let Gollini go at the moment. With Bunn likely to be released when his contract runs out in tbe summer, and Johnstone potentially returning to UTD after his loan, Jed Steer would be the only recognised keeper on our books. 

This probably means nothing, but when Bruce gave a quick rundown of our goalkeeping options in the Tom Ross interview, he mentioned Steer first which struck me as odd when he hasn't played all season and is a long-term injury absentee.

Personally I hope we give Steer a chance next season. He did very well on loan with Huddersfield. 

5 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

Agreed.

Not good enough to be our number 1, but really not a bad backup at all, at this level at least.

Keepers have always been overly criticised on VT.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Agreed.

Not good enough to be our number 1, but really not a bad backup at all, at this level at least.

Keepers have always been overly criticised on VT.

I think like Westwood, guzan was defended until it became too impossible to defend on here. He was awful and declined rapidly. Bunn is an ok back up, but **** up in the leeds game and should really be no where near the first team. 

I'm not sure what other keeper has been so overly criticised that its become a common thing on VT. 

8 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

Bunn is an absolutely awful keeper. Nowhere near tall enough to start and he makes basic errors every other game. 

I genuinely don't know how he ever became a goalkeeper.

Gollini has grown on me, I don't think he's what we need right now but he will go on to become a good keeper somewhere else. Shame.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I think like Westwood, guzan was defended until it became too impossible to defend on here. He was awful and declined rapidly. Bunn is an ok back up, but **** up in the leeds game and should really be no where near the first team. 

I'm not sure what other keeper has been so overly criticised that its become a common thing on VT. 

Pretty much every keeper since I've been a member of this site.

Â