Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

I personally don't see his potential too much. His shot stopping is good bit he tends to parry it in dangerous areas. He rarely catches it. I'm not confident in him collecting crosses and his punching is terrible. Never Mind his errors.. he's had a lot more that he's gotten away with. Don't have much confidence in him and I imagine many of our defenders may be the same.i hope the keeper we buy is a new number 1 and we can loan Gollini to learn and make mistakes elsewhere. We can't afford it this year.

Matt Ryan is valencias number 2 now. He wants game time. Wonder if we could get him on loan with view to permanent if we go up

Edited by KSV

It's a catch 22, I definitely feel he has the potential to be a top keeper, but can we afford the occasional clanger (We could possibly be on 31 points now at least)? It also seems the only way he can get better is by first team football at a high level and learning from his mistakes, but at the expense of what?

We should have at the very least gone for an old, experienced head to keep him on his toes, who we could bring in both to replace him when on bad form and for him to learn from.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, TRO said:

I think he needs more time to develop.....just wonder If SB feels he can afford him while he is scrambling for points.

Exactly. The point I have been trying to make for months is that we cannot afford to have a rookie keeper, developing his game and making the errors that go with it, whilst we are pushing for the play offs. 

He may well turn out to be a good keeper, but we cannot afford to bare either him whilst he makes the inevitable mistakes that a young goalkeeper will make.

We absolutely need to bring in a more experienced number 1 for our promotion challenge. 100% 

• Like 2

I staunchly defended him at first and I still think he's got the potential and is a very good keeper. But the mistakes are too frequent and I think it's a real shame because if he is replaced then I don't think he will stick around. I remember when he joined it was because he would get first team football.

I agree we need an experienced number 1 to come in. Not sure who, but not keen on pantilimon who was mentioned in thee summer. I'd imagine we could pick up a premier league 2nd keeper to be a success.

37 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I'd imagine we could pick up a premier league 2nd keeper to be a success.

Could we though? Most second keepers, don't play for the majority of games, so are going to be rusty and not hit the ground running anyway 

37 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I'd imagine we could pick up a premier league 2nd keeper to be a success.

Could we though? Most second keepers, don't play for the majority of games, so are going to be rusty and not hit the ground running anyway 

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

True. It's a bit of a dilemma. Are there any championship realistic keepers we could get? I think Westwood from sheff weds is good but with a name like that he's destined to failure of he came here!

• Like 1

Another RDM cock up. Always a tall order asking a 21 year old from overseas to come to a foreign country and hit the ground running. Thought he looked ropey against cardiff and then the chickens came home to roost against leeds.

He might be a good player in time - but that was never what we needed. Classic Aston villa over the last few years - looking at what may be good 5 or 6 years down the line - but overlooking the hear and now.

Confident Bruce will sort this in Jan though.

It's like everyone thinks that other goalkeepers just make no errors at all.  Every single one in the Championship will have done so this season.  All of them, Gollini included (obvs).

It would honestly be bonkers to replace Gollini, especially as a priority. 

• Like 1

He's made a lot of errors in a short space of time so absolutely no surprise Bruce appears to be looking to sign a new keeper. The aim of the game here is promotion, not player development, and whilst I do believe Gollini has talent, I fail to see the massive potential some here a making out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

It's like everyone thinks that other goalkeepers just make no errors at all.  Every single one in the Championship will have done so this season.  All of them, Gollini included (obvs).

It's true, we go get Pantsamillion in and watch him botch it first game. But butty but but, over a season Gollini will make more mistakes, he just ain't experienced enough, yet..

23 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's made a lot of errors in a short space of time so absolutely no surprise Bruce appears to be looking to sign a new keeper. The aim of the game here is promotion, not player development, and whilst I do believe Gollini has talent, I fail to see the massive potential some here a making out. 

A LOT of errors? He's made a few, many of which I actually don't think have been his fault in the main (clearance against Huddersfield, mis-kick against Sheff Wed, missed cross at Leeds to name 3). We can certainly get promoted with Gollini as goalkeeper. Plenty of weaker areas in our team - potentially all of them tbh. 

• Like 3

Bit mixed on Gollini.  I am desperate for him to do well, he obviously has talent, he is so young and you can't ignore the fact he has kept a lot of clean sheets and we are not conceding many goals at all. However, he lacks a bit of experience and confidence and I agree with those saying he just might not quite be the finished product (yet). I'd like us to sign a very experienced keeper who could. Be number one for say 2 seasons and who Gollini could learn off of, like a Schmeichel, Given or Friedel.

6 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Bit mixed on Gollini.  I am desperate for him to do well, he obviously has talent, he is so young and you can't ignore the fact he has kept a lot of clean sheets and we are not conceding many goals at all. However, he lacks a bit of experience and confidence and I agree with those saying he just might not quite be the finished product (yet). I'd like us to sign a very experienced keeper who could. Be number one for say 2 seasons and who Gollini could learn off of, like a Schmeichel, Given or Friedel.

I agree with most of what you say here Spoony. I do think that if we do as you say and sign an experienced keeper for two years, then we will lose Gollini. He came for playing time, and to be honest the only way he will gain experience is from playing time. It is whether he learns from these errors that will determine whether he becomes a great GK. 

At the moment he is potential, and it could go either way and he either goes on to have a great career, or the errors bury him and he has an average to below average career. For me which way he goes is up in the air at the moment.

On 06/12/2016 at 22:17, KSV said:

Don't have much confidence in him and I imagine many of our defenders may be the same.

Yesterday towards the end when we were under a bit of pressure a ball bounced in the box he could easily have come for and claimed,  but instead he left it for the defender who had to quickly change position for a desperate head out for a corner to Wigan. Gollini came to thank him and the defender (Elphick I think) just went totally berserk at him for not claiming it in the first place. 

• Like 1

On 09/12/2016 at 15:10, bobzy said:

It would honestly be bonkers to replace Gollini, especially as a priority. 

This. Long term he could be excellent and he's not doing nearly badly enough in the short term to warrant giving up on.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Not too worried about gollini but worried if he was to get injured as bunn is no way good enough to rely on as a replacement .

Exactly. We need another keeper, preferably one that could step in if needed and who can apply pressure to Gollini, that's not Bunn.

We'll sign a keeper no doubt about that and I'd expect it to be on loan.

Â