Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

4 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I honestly think that says more about the keepers we've had in that time than it does about VTers to be fair.

Daniel Bentley (a young keeper many on VT wanted to sign in the summer) made a couple of big mistakes against Eastleigh today (one cost a goal). 

You absolutely know he'd have been slaughtered for it on here. Just like Gollini has been.

39 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Daniel Bentley (a young keeper many on VT wanted to sign in the summer) made a couple of big mistakes against Eastleigh today (one cost a goal). 

You absolutely know he'd have been slaughtered for it on here. Just like Gollini has been.

Yep. But then that's kind of the nature of a site like this.

I think a few people have been a bit harsh writing Gollini off so soon as Ive seen some good bits along the way. Enough to want to persevere with him, and certainly ahead of Bunn. That doesn't mean he's above criticism. Also I'm not SB so I don't get to know what he knows. Maybe it's brilliant man management taking him out of the firing line for a few weeks and it will be the making of the lad? Who knows?

I'd say Friedel was the last good keeper we had. Schmeichel, Bosnich, Spink would be up there in the top bracket in my lifetime/memory. Sorensen, James, Guzan were fine on a good day but hardly comparable to the other 4 imho. I had a soft spot for Les Sealey. Other than that I wouldn't get too excited about the rest.

Edited by VILLAMARV
too many 'ands' first time round
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

it matters less in a 5-1 win though. 

Gollini has cost us points this year. 

43 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Irrelevant when judging ability.

But the vast majority acknowledge Gollini has ability. But it's the points he's cost us at times that become an issue. Clearly the manager has lost a lot of faith in him 

8 hours ago, DCJonah said:

But the vast majority acknowledge Gollini has ability. But it's the points he's cost us at times that become an issue. Clearly the manager has lost a lot of faith in him 

It's irrelevant that he has "cost us points" when judging a keepers ability. The team is 11 players - a striker missing the goal equally means we miss out on points. They just aren't hounded anywhere near as much for it. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Bunn is an absolutely awful keeper. Nowhere near tall enough to start and he makes basic errors every other game. 

I genuinely don't know how he ever became a goalkeeper.

No where near tall enough? The guys 6 feet tall, and does height really matter.. what about arm length? Also what if a keep was 5 feet 5 but had the leap of Ronaldo? You're mind is far too closed. 

56 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's irrelevant that he has "cost us points" when judging a keepers ability. The team is 11 players - a striker missing the goal equally means we miss out on points. They just aren't hounded anywhere near as much for it. 

I'm not sure. Ayew and McCormack have had plenty of criticism on here for the lack of real contribution this season. 

Gestede has been criticised most of his time here for similar reasons and no one's really sad to see him go. 

I think Gollini has deserved the criticism at times, he's cost us points and we're not in a position to make do with that while a player attempts to improve. 

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think Gollini has deserved the criticism at times, he's cost us points and we're not in a position to make do with that while a player attempts to improve. 

So if Gollini is making the same mistakes, but other players are scoring goals and we're winning games then he's fine?

27 minutes ago, bobzy said:

So if Gollini is making the same mistakes, but other players are scoring goals and we're winning games then he's fine?

It's not as much of an issue. If we're winning games then allowing young players to develop while making the odd mistake isn't going to hurt us. 

But we're not, and we need to be back in the premier league as soon as possible. We can't currently afford to allow young players to cost us points in the hope they'll develop. Gollini looks promising and I do hope we keep him but the manager has lost faith and he's not done enough to be given our number 1 spot for the rest of the season 

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He made some amazing saves that season (including Leeds away) but cost us the FA cup final so have mixed feelings. 

didnt he also force through a transfer to West Ham which sort of put me off him. He was a good goalkeeper for us though especially with the baggage and reputation he arrived with

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Its still an issue but less of one if that makes sense. No different to if a striker comes into a team and doesn't score but the team are still winning. He'll get given more leeway

For his age I actually think he has done well, some of his performances have been impressive and he clearly has the talent but we are now in a position where everyone expects us to win every game and regain our Premiership status (despite the fact that is unlikely to happen easily), so costly mistakes are never going to be forgiven, I think starting every week is too much and he should be second choice with a view to becoming first choice.

Bringing in a keeper 2 years his senior on loan feels pointless, surely we should buy an experienced goal keeper who can keep things ticking over till Gollini is ready. All i see now is Gollini getting bumped down to third choice and leaving at the first opportunity.

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He made some amazing saves that season (including Leeds away) but cost us the FA cup final so have mixed feelings. 

He didn't cost is the final, we were shocking that day and created one half chance in 90 mins

Nobody turned up that day in claret and blue. We were shit all game

James made mistake but we didn't do anything all afternoon 

11 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

No where near tall enough? The guys 6 feet tall, and does height really matter.. what about arm length? Also what if a keep was 5 feet 5 but had the leap of Ronaldo? You're mind is far too closed. 

*Your

Ok. He's great. Superb leap and decent arm length. 

I'll open my mind. Just like Bruce did today when he dropped him from the entire squad. 

Wait, were you not joking?

11 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

*Your

Ok. He's great. Superb leap and decent arm length. 

I'll open my mind. Just like Bruce did today when he dropped him from the entire squad. 

Wait, were you not joking?

Â