Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

It's because every young player makes mistakes, it can go either way. But De Gae is a good example because everyone and his dog was writing him off yet now he's considered one of the best.

I personally think Gollinis mistakes are not all that bad as people are making out. I'm actually impressed by the young keeper and think he will go on to be a great player. Selling him now would be heart breaking as I think he will really become a top player.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Junxs said:

It's because every young player makes mistakes, it can go either way. But De Gae is a good example because everyone and his dog was writing him off yet now he's considered one of the best.

I personally think Gollinis mistakes are not all that bad as people are making out. I'm actually impressed by the young keeper and think he will go on to be a great player. Selling him now would be heart breaking as I think he will really become a top player.

I agree all young players make mistakes, but that doesn't mean all will go on to greatness, or even regular first team football. 

De Gea cannot be a good example just because he also made mistakes. If you played me, I would make mistakes as well. It doesn't mean I'd turn out alright. De Gea does, at a bare minimum, prove that people who make mistakes early in their career can turn their career around, but I don't think anybody seriously disagrees with that; the issue at hand is how likely a similar dramatic change in Gollini's fortunes is. I don't find comparisons to De Gea helpful for answering that question. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Junxs said:

I think he's kicking is the best we've had for many years, perhaps a decade.

Granted one kick was straight at a players head and ended up in the back of the net, but that really was a freak incident.

Sometimes his kicking is too good, that it goes straight to the opposite keeper. Having played in goal myself I know how hard it is sometimes just to get it over the half way line. I would be very sad if we let him go and will live to regret it. Look at De Gae and his first season at Man U, made worse mistakes than Gollini by some distance but now they have a top keeper on their hands. Just have to show patience with this one and I think then we'll reap the rewards.

If you're measuring his kicking solely by the distance he can attain when he gets it right, then aye, he gives it some welly. 

There's a bit more to distribution than that, mind.  Two of his kick-outs (or attempted ones) have led directly to goals against. One would be a freak, two -in a relatively short space of time- is a concern. Especially with all the other aspects of his game that need work. 

I wouldn't be looking to bomb him out though. Ideally a Schwarzer or similar could come in in the short-term and give him some respite.  Keepers train as a group n'all, so someone of that quality might push his own game on, instead of Bunn and the other young lad whose name escapes me. 

That said, if we do bring someone in and he wants away, I wouldn't be devastated either. 

I do think having a more experienced pair of hands in goal would be more ideal but I don't think Gollini is that bad at all, he seems highly rated in Italy also. At 21 I would have thought he was an investment for the future but possible a second choice keeper who gets rotated in occasionally.

If we can get more than we paid and buy a more experienced keeper then fair enough, but if we can keep him as a talented keeper in waiting or even loan him then why not.

Get an experienced goalkeeper who can double up as a tutor for Gollini for one or two years (as well as playing, obviously) and we could have a huge talent ahead of us. Most of his mistakes (questionable passes, etc.) can be put down to mere inexperience and adaptation.

I mean, come on, he's not even very likely to know good enough English...

Edited by meme

22 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Can't work out if this is satire, but he was in United's academy for years so he's fluent.

He also managed to live here as a 17 year old on a youth contract but now at 21 and probably £10k a week he's got home sickness? 

Some of the stuff written about him seems to be by journalists unaware of his time at Utd 

I think Gollini has done reasonably well since coming here, and I'd always rather have him between the sticks than Mark Bunn, but if he wants to leave or Steve Bruce doesn't rate him then so be it. I don't believe his departure would be an Amavi/Ayew/Grealish sized disaster.

I think it would be short-sighted to let him go permanently unless we received a very good offer based on the performances I've seen, but I don't see him in training or know how happy he is here.

• Like 2

Both bunn and golini have mistakes in them but only one of them will improve and that is gollini. 

Bunn has reached his peak which is sadly not good enough even at this level. 

Gollini is a young keeper with a big future ahead, I just hope we don't cast him to one side only to regret it in years to come. 

• Like 3

Think I've said this before, but I see a fair few similarities with how De Gea looked during the start of his Man U career.

Young lanky keeper coming to a new country and league will always have some mistakes in him, be a bit less commanding than someone used to getting elbowed in the face at every corner. Gollini also had 1 senior season less under his belt than De Gea when he moved here.

He's not the next Buffon, but I think he looks promising.

Fair enough if Bruce wan't to loan him out and get a more senior keeper with more experience in on loan while Gollini get's experience someplace else.

But selling him or getting some other young keeper in would be a mistake imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

This is one of the fee things I don't agree with Bruce on, he should still be in the side over Bunn in my view.

I think a January exit is pretty likely now sadly.

It's where I am as well, I think Gollini is our best keeper and will go on to be superb, unfortunatey not at VP

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Bad mistake in my opinion to drop Gollini, certainly should not be sold. I don't think he has done much wrong after his initial errors.

And even experienced and good keepers make errors.

Some of Bruce's decisions i do not understand.

I'm not a fan of Bunn's By any means, but Bruce is likely looking for stability. He doesn't want to see our keeper make glaring mistakes that could possibly hurt our confidence. Bunn is an inferior keeper to Gollini, but he has those terrible moments in him. We're not in a position to take even one of them per game, or we'll lose. Gollini's time is later, we'll see where.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

This is one of the fee things I don't agree with Bruce on, he should still be in the side over Bunn in my view.

I think a January exit is pretty likely now sadly.

The worrying thing about this scenario is that if the rumours about a loan deal for the UTD kid are true, we will be left in a situation were Mark Bunn will be the only recognised keeper we own. 

Scary stuff.

Personally I feel more confident when I see his name on the team sheet than when I see Bunn's.

If the Gollini out and Johnstone in stuff turns out to be more than a rumour I wonder if there'll be an option to buy on any loan making it more of a deferred payment where FFP is concerned? just a thought.

Â