Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

On 18/12/2016 at 20:07, sidcow said:

Hmmmm so where does this leave Gollini now? 

Once the manager loses faith with a keeper its normally a hard way back for them. 

I think he may done here to be honest. He came for first team football - but probably isn't ready for a full season. Can't see him sticking around in VP reserves.

Not seen anything to suggest he is a world beater in waiting myself.

7 minutes ago, KSV said:

There was talk he was going back to Italy a few weeks back

That would be great if true. One of the worst keepers I've seen at VP. Somewhere between Petr Enckleman and Michael Oakes. 

Not sure about Bunn either tbh but he can stand in until we bring in a more experienced keeper to take the number 1 spot. 

Good to see Bruce finally doing something about the clear weakness in the side.

Edited by One For The Road

5 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

That would be great if true. One of the worst keepers I've seen at VP. Somewhere between Petr Enckleman and Michael Oakes. 

Not sure about Bunn either tbh but he can stand in until we bring in a more experienced keeper to take the number 1 spot. 

Good to see Bruce finally doing something about the clear weakness in the side.

One of the worst keepers at VP... What a deluded statement...

Guzan last season was a lot worse for a start...

He's just a young keeper who made a couple of mistakes at the start of the season. Since then he has been very good. He could possibly do with an experienced keeper alongside him to help him reach his full potential.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

He's just a young keeper who made a couple of mistakes at the start of the season. Since then he has been very good. He could possibly do with an experienced keeper alongside him to help him reach his full potential.

It's not a "deluded statement" at all. I said one of the worst. Which for me he is. At this stage of his career he is one of the worst performing goalkeepers I have seen play for us as regular number 1 since I started watching us in the 80's. 

Will he improve? Probably. Do I want to wait for him to do so? Not really.

As for Guzan, he is also one of the worst.

We are all entitled to our opinion and being called deluded for disagreeing with you isn't cool fella.

2 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Depends what you mean by very good.

IMO - thats when the team as a whole plays poorly , but a sterling performance from the keeper sneaks us a point. I don't recall any of those to be honest.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

It's not a "deluded statement" at all. I said one of the worst. Which for me he is. At this stage of his career he is one of the worst performing goalkeepers I have seen play for us as regular number 1 since I started watching us in the 80's. 

Will he improve? Probably. Do I want to wait for him to do so? Not really.

As for Guzan, he is also one of the worst.

We are all entitled to our opinion and being called deluded for disagreeing with you isn't cool fella.

This chap had a poor start, then looked ok for a bit before a shocking performance at Leeds and he has now finally been dropped. 

Bunn looked far more solid at QPR than Gollini has done.

Anyway, thankfully, Bruce agrees with me.

It's a shame if we don't stick with him, IMO. I think he's a talented keeper who will go on to play at a very decent level. The manager has obviously lost faith in him for the time being, but I hope he can see enough to keep him around. If he doesn't, I think it will be a mistake to let him go (shock!). 

• Like 1

Can only think that RDM and that Italian GK coach said to Tony that Gollini was going to be worth the gamble - but in the cold light of day he is very young and new to the league and new to the country. An unnecessary risk at a time that we need experience throughout the squad. Replace!

• Like 1

He has made too many mistakes to be deemed reliable and even against Norwich he didn't look particularly confident, making a meal of one of the few saves he had to make. I do think he has some talent, but I haven't seen any thing that great from him. Some have made comparisons with De Gea in terms of a talented keeper having a poor first season in English football, but even though De Gea made mistakes he showed a lot more than Gollini in terms of demonstrating his talents. 

Personally I do not have a massive amount of confidence in him, he's a keeper with mistakes and lapses in concentration in him at this stage and we can't afford that when promotion is the ultimate goal. The development of players is really secondary this season. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He has made too many mistakes to be deemed reliable and even against Norwich he didn't look particularly confident, making a meal of one of the few saves he had to make. I do think he has some talent, but I haven't seen any thing that great from him. Some have made comparisons with De Gea in terms of a talented keeper having a poor first season in English football, but even though De Gea made mistakes he showed a lot more than Gollini in terms of demonstrating his talents. 

Personally I do not have a massive amount of confidence in him, he's a keeper with mistakes and lapses in concentration in him at this stage and we can't afford that when promotion is the ultimate goal. The development of players is really secondary this season. 

I appreciate that and I agree, but it would still be a shame to see him go. He has shown some ability, particularly his shot stopping. He hasn't looked great, no, but then not every player has to look great within 20 odd games to be considered worthy of keeping around. 

Whilst development may be secondary, it shouldn't be an either/or debate. We should try and keep hold of him as a number 2, because the alternative is Mark Bunn. 

He has been unfortunate in some ways as in his first few games here he had the games against Sheff Wednesday and Hudersfield where he played well until late errors. I think that knocked his confidence a little. Then a few games later he made the error at Barnsley and then just when he starts to rebuild his confidence he made the error against Leeds.

To me he looks hesitant now and not confident in what he is doing. I think Bruce was right to take him out against QPR not just for his own benefit but when you have a keeper who is becoming hesitant then that puts doubts in the defenders minds.

It may be harsh but I’d like to think that a keeper will be signed at the start of January and do well enough so Gollini won’t be given another chance this season. He is only 21 and certainly has enough about him to come again though and I think a few games in the reserves to rebuild his confidence out of the pressure and glare of the first team will do him no harm in the long term.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Loaning him out might be a decent option but getting rid of him would be mad - we would absolutely regret it I'm sure of it. Too often in recent years we've been quick to judge players.

If he is loaned out there is no point in him sitting on someone else's bench. If he is to develop then he needs to play. Obviously not for us but for someone else. Maybe 2nd division in Italy? 

Being number 2 at Juve will not help one bit imo.

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

If he is loaned out there is no point in him sitting on someone else's bench. If he is to develop then he needs to play. Obviously not for us but for someone else. Maybe 2nd division in Italy? 

Being number 2 at Juve will not help one bit imo.

That was my point - loan him out so he can get experience.

Â