Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

25 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Loaning him out might be a decent option but getting rid of him would be mad - we would absolutely regret it I'm sure of it. Too often in recent years we've been quick to judge players.

It depends on who we replace him with. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Jesus, we're not talking about getting rid of Gollini are we?

I know what you mean. But its either play him in the first team or move him on.

Id be really surprised if we don't bring in another keeper in Jan. He seems to have enough suitors not to need loans - so yes I think he is done here (more or less) 

54 minutes ago, hippo said:

I know what you mean. But its either play him in the first team or move him on.

Id be really surprised if we don't bring in another keeper in Jan. He seems to have enough suitors not to need loans - so yes I think he is done here (more or less) 

No it isn't. We could loan him to a lower league team for first team experience.

Don't think he'll be playing League One football somehow. 

He looks the part at times, fills the goal and is a decent shot stopper (though that's a minimum requirement for all keepers, I suppose) but it its all the rest that gives us kittens.  Communicating with his backline, coming for crosses clearing with his feet et.c. 

I can recall right off the top of my head at least 4 games when his blunders have cost us points.  I can't recall too many games when he has kept us in it, and helped us to an unlikely or undeserved 1 point or 3. 

Punt him out on loan to Italy and see how he feels come the summer if we are back in the top flight. If he wants to stay and fight for a place then, kudos to him. The higher standard might be kinder to him, in a weird way. Less crosses and less physicality. 

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

Why would Gollini want to go be a back up? Handanovic is the clear #1 at Inter, and Buffon just said he doesn't plan on retiring anytime soon. 

He's going to be back up here.. so maybe he can learn more with Buffon and Handanovic. Just a loan spell

On 21/12/2016 at 18:06, romavillan said:

Not just a loan to the end of the season either, they are talking about a right to buy at the end of the season. How this kid can be judged a failure after two good years with Verona, after only a 4 months or so with us is mental. Those saying he's cost us games are looking at it pretty one eyed, he's saved us in games too. I think he will turn out to be a good talent. You don't get interest from Juve if you are shit, especially given the calibre of goalkeeper they are used to. 

he had 1 season as Verona No.1 and they had one of the worst defences in Europe last season so hard to say that he had a good season

though not a big stats fan but if I remember he was ranked 5th worst in all top 5 leagues last season, Guzan was No.1

Edited by Zatman

Seriously apart the fact he is only 21 what are people seeing here ? 

Granted its a massive ask coming from overseas at that age - a being number 1 in a season as long as the championship.

I think the problem here is he was brought as first team keeper - when if fact he is a development player. He wouldn't have come as a back up keeper though - so dropping into the reserves isn't an option for him. Conversely playing him as number 1 and hoping he becomes a top notch keeper in time - hampers the here and now of a current promotion push this season.

If you want to win things you cannot bow to sentiment.

The manager cannot run with game changing errors.

i think he could well turn out to be a really good keeper, but this is what happens when players rush their development.

its always a gamble for them, but it seems to me he is not quite ready.

We need someone we can hang our hat on.....there is so much hanging on the club getting out.

i think the manager may try and keep him and bring in another to take the pressure off and him continue to develop.....not sure whether that will suit him though.

I read Hadanovic will leave Inter if they don't get CL this season.

Don't really think SB rates him and if he's back up at this level I really can't see him being a first choice in the prem. So in his mind it would probably be better to back up at an Inter or Juve than here.

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 18:49, HolteExile said:

He looks the part at times, fills the goal and is a decent shot stopper (though that's a minimum requirement for all keepers, I suppose) but it its all the rest that gives us kittens.  Communicating with his backline, coming for crosses clearing with his feet et.c. 

I think he's kicking is the best we've had for many years, perhaps a decade.

Granted one kick was straight at a players head and ended up in the back of the net, but that really was a freak incident.

Sometimes his kicking is too good, that it goes straight to the opposite keeper. Having played in goal myself I know how hard it is sometimes just to get it over the half way line. I would be very sad if we let him go and will live to regret it. Look at De Gae and his first season at Man U, made worse mistakes than Gollini by some distance but now they have a top keeper on their hands. Just have to show patience with this one and I think then we'll reap the rewards.

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

I think he's kicking is the best we've had for many years, perhaps a decade.

Granted one kick was straight at a players head and ended up in the back of the net, but that really was a freak incident.

Sometimes his kicking is too good, that it goes straight to the opposite keeper. Having played in goal myself I know how hard it is sometimes just to get it over the half way line. I would be very sad if we let him go and will live to regret it. Look at De Gae and his first season at Man U, made worse mistakes than Gollini by some distance but now they have a top keeper on their hands. Just have to show patience with this one and I think then we'll reap the rewards.

This isn't only directed at you, but at dozens of different posters in this thread. 

Why is it the case that because De Gea made mistakes and then got very much better, that this will be the case with Gollini, or indeed with any other young goalkeeper? I see the comparison made on here constantly, but he doesn't look like De Gea in any way.

Peter Enckleman came in and made mistakes, I don't recall the same charitable interpretations on his behalf. 

Â