Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

Let's not forget Thibaut Courtois spent 2-3 seasons on loan at Atletico Madrid before making his mark in this country. So I wouldn't write Gollini off just yet based on the length of the loan. I know it is a slightly different level, but the theory is still the same and may work out in the same way.

• Like 4

re the length of the loan period.  It is possible that the 18 months was more of a Round call than Bruce's.  Statistically it is not terribly likely that Bruce will still be here in 18 months so would make sense if the club don't want to get rid completely, but know that Bruce doesn't fancy him.

Ideally of course SB will still be here, we'll be in the PL and Gollini will have matured into a top keeper.  Maybe.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

but we've signed johnstone...not only will he be learning on the job we'll then be sending him back once he's learnt it

Either he was the only keeper Bruce could get - or Bruce thinks he is much further along the line of development than Gollini was.

Ive only seen him in one game - but Johnstone looks an upgrade on Gollini, looking in the very short but important timescale of Jan-May

Atalanta are up near the top of serie A this season so I doubt hes going to get straight into the starting line up. I reckon Bruce really doesnt rate him and the kid himself hasnt enjoyed his time with us so the loan deal works for both parties.

3 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

Atalanta are up near the top of serie A this season so I doubt hes going to get straight into the starting line up. I reckon Bruce really doesnt rate him and the kid himself hasnt enjoyed his time with us so the loan deal works for both parties.

Their current first choice is also on loan by the looks of it (from Lazio).

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

So would most of us. Bruce might even agree.

But if Gollini is sat on our bench as cover he's not going to develop. If he's off playing first team football then he will have the best chance.

Bunn isn't going to develop anymore than he is and he's adequate back up at this level. It's not detrimental to his career to be sat on our bench.

Long term it absolutely makes sense to keep Bunn instead. Even if we were looking to offload Gollini, he'll attract a hugher price the more he plays. If he sits on our bench his value will only go down.

Agree in principle. In reality, however, Gollini will certainly not be Atalanta's number one. They have an outstanding keeper in Marco Sportiello, who is still young himself, and will unquestionably remain first choice. Of course, Sportiello may be sold this summer, leaving Gollini as top dog, but that's far from a given, as Atalanta have already brought in huge income from a couple of recent sales. 

Personally, I would've liked us to keep Gollini on as number two (eliminating the chance of Bunn appearing), or loan him out for guaranteed games, even if it meant Serie B.

10 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Agree in principle. In reality, however, Gollini will certainly not be Atalanta's number one. They have an outstanding keeper in Marco Sportiello, who is still young himself, and will unquestionably remain first choice. Of course, Sportiello may be sold this summer, leaving Gollini as top dog, but that's far from a given, as Atalanta have already brought in huge income from a couple of recent sales. 

Personally, I would've liked us to keep Gollini on as number two (eliminating the chance of Bunn appearing), or loan him out for guaranteed games, even if it meant Serie B.

Fair enough. If he's going from our bench to someone else's bench then it doesn't really make much sense to me, despite them being at a higher level than us.

Maybe it is just homesickness/not settling, although would seem unusual seeing as he's already spent a lot of time living in the UK

15 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/reports-that-italian-and-atalanta-keeper-marco-sportiello-must-decide-between-watford-and-fiorentina/story-30050213-detail/story.html

Watford are reportedly battling with Italian side Fiorentina for Atalanta goalkeeper Marco Sportiello.

The 24-year-old keeper has been linked with a move away from the Italian side for numerous months, and Calciomercato are reporting the decision lies in his hands.

Just now, bobzy said:

http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/reports-that-italian-and-atalanta-keeper-marco-sportiello-must-decide-between-watford-and-fiorentina/story-30050213-detail/story.html

Watford are reportedly battling with Italian side Fiorentina for Atalanta goalkeeper Marco Sportiello.

The 24-year-old keeper has been linked with a move away from the Italian side for numerous months, and Calciomercato are reporting the decision lies in his hands.

Interesting. Napoli and Fiorentina have long been fans, so I think he can aim higher that Vicarage Road! Still think Berisha would be number one ahead of Gollini in any case.

2 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Interesting. Napoli and Fiorentina have long been fans, so I think he can aim higher that Vicarage Road! Still think Berisha would be number one ahead of Gollini in any case.

Berisha on loan for this season only?  They're possibly giving Gollini half a season to settle in with a view to using him next season (I have no idea, of course :D)

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Berisha on loan for this season only?  They're possibly giving Gollini half a season to settle in with a view to using him next season (I have no idea, of course :D)

They have an option to buy Berisha afaik. Hopefully Gollini breaks into their side either way, but I would've preferred a loan with fewer obstacles in his way!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Forget the fee paid , and the other clubs linked to him. What did you actually see  in his time here that make you think he had the "makings of a decent keeper ?" 

Looks a competent keeper , yes he's made mistakes and his distribution needs to improve but I felt happier with him in goal than bunn or Guzan who in my opinion were far worse . 

Ive no worries about Johnstone even if he is on loan but we will need to bring in a quality keeper in the summer as I can't see united selling him.

Edited by Eastie

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Looks a competent keeper , yes he's made mistakes and his distribution needs to improve but I felt happier with him in goal than bunn or Guzan who in my opinion were far worse . 

so he's a good keeper - who makes mistakes, and isn't that good at kicking. ?

Just now, hippo said:

so he's a good keeper - who makes mistakes, and isn't that good at kicking. ?

What keeper doesn't make mistakes ? Bunn and Guzan are both experienced keepers but not as good as gollini in my view .

Gollini is young but he's showed promise and as I stated has the makings of a good keeper - not the finished article.

• Like 1

Just now, Eastie said:

What keeper doesn't make mistakes ? Bunn and Guzan are both experienced keepers but not as good as gollini in my view .

Gollini is young but he's showed promise and as I stated has the makings of a good keeper - not the finished article.

What are the makings of a good keeper then ? 

What are you seeing in him that for example you wouldn't see in Michael Oakes, Scott Carson or maybe even Jed Steer...

He looks like an average 21 year old keeper to me - Apart from the fee and the links to Juventus Im seeing nothing we couldn't have produced from our own academy  

Atalanta are great at developing young players, so at worst he'll have some very good coaching there. Sportiello will be gone so it's just Berisha in the way - and those two have been splitting time anyway, so maybe they'll do the same with Gollini/Berisha.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Smart move. 18 months is strange though. Will we be looking for another keeper in the Summer or do we think Bruce knows something about the Johnstone deal that we don't?

I think Bruce has seen enough to know that Gollini is not his man wether we stay down or go up. 

Johnstone or someone else will be signed in the summer. Gives Gollini more chance to develop before we look at him again. 

Â